Finally, a US buyer bought something off .ca

Finally, a US buyer bought something off .ca.  What I have found is that US buyers usually (99.9%) buy only items listed on .com.  Finally made a sale off .ca to a US buyer, time to jump up and down.  Too bad it only happens every few months.  I have 1600 listings divided between .ca and .com.  

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Congrats. Sooo, what time is the retirement party? Out of curiosity, how did the fees compare vs your dot com sales?

-CM

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm not sure what you mean with the fees and how would i figure that out?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you click on Account Summary in Sellers Hub you should be able to explore all the awesome and wonderful fees. Please don't hold me accountable for passing this on. Only the messenger. I check it out from time to time to see if I'm being billed correctly for any promotions I have the opportunity to use.   

All account activity / Fees / Credits / Payments and refunds / Promotional Savings. 

-CM

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Wasn't sure if, when you list on dot com also its 1 bill or 2. I only list on dot ca.

-CM

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hi I'm not sure what you want me to compare.  Here is my last sales and the fees.  

final value.jpg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Believe the fee structure is a little different between dot com and dot ca along with the applied fees from Paypal because of the exchange. Difficult to say with all of the changes as of late. For some, it may have gotten to the point where you can't really do anything about the fees, so you no longer question them. I've asked this before, but has anyone ever spotted an automatic credit due to billing errors made by eBay or is it entirely up to the seller to catch any discrepancies? Things that make some sellers say, Hmmmmm!!! The eBay invoice is not the easiest document to decipher without a strong alcoholic beverage or an espresso!!! 

-CM

PS, Free listings to make up for billing/site issues is not really a credit for the time and grief they cause but that's another story.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Things that make some sellers say, Hmmmmm!!! The eBay invoice is not the easiest document to decipher without a strong alcoholic beverage or an espresso!!! 

You got that right!!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

... how did the fees compare vs your dot com sales?

For most categories the Final Value Fees use the same percentage on .CA and on .COM

There are few differences that crept in this year. The big one was:

Books, dvds, and music cds:

9.15% on CA with an increase to 12% on USA for stores

10% on CA with an increase to 12% for non-stores

Vinyl records did not get a fee increase.

If the FVF needs to be converted ebay uses the exchange rate when the item was listed/relisted. All one rolled into the fee (no separate invoice line for conversion).

-..-

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

... has anyone ever spotted an automatic credit due to billing errors made by eBay or is it entirely up to the seller to catch any discrepancies?

Yes. Got without asking.

Back when they screwed up a lot of invoices a few years ago.

Big accounting problems get fixed. The seller (or their accountant) has to keep an eye open for problems that only hit a few sellers.

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

As I've mentioned in other threads, early this year I developed a split personality and began listing on both .COM and .CA (only .COM previously).

I've been listing Canadian centric stuff on .CA, or stuff that is a lot cheaper to ship here than to the USA (so I can have it be free shipping to Canadians and charge shipping to US folks and not pay FVF on the shipping because the domestic shipping is free).

I have not noticed a drop in the number of folks from the US purchasing, despite the fact they are not getting free shipping (so theoretically lower visibility) and they are paying shipping on top for these lots as opposed to normal lots.

It is worth noting that up to 50% of my sales are to repeat customers so that may be skewing my results. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

don't forget the GST on the fees...in case you haven't noticed

Message 12 of 12
latest reply