GST/HST VS VAT

Quick question - I know there is a place to add a VAT # if you are selling overseas but is there a place to add the GST/HST number so that's it automaticaly shows up on every listing- or do you need to manually add it to every one?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GST/HST VS VAT

eBay seems to use the term "VAT" as a generic term to describe any sort of value-added tax such as our GSP/HST, so I'd say there'd be no issues in using it in your invoices or listings in the manner you're describing.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

GST/HST VS VAT

Are you registered to collect VAT  and/or GST/PST/HST?

If not, don't even try. The Revenue are touchy about that.

I've noticed that Australian and UK buyers have an additional line with their addresses that seems to have something to do with VAT for their own countries. Remember you are neither collecting nor remitting those.

There is in the Selling Details section of the Advanced/Business Sell Your Item form a place for provincial sales taxes. Not being registered to collect or remit those I have never used it.

And for US Internet (state) Sales Taxes, eBay will collect and remit the tax. We never touch it.

TL/DR  The BUYER pays VAT/GST/PST/HST/ IST not the seller.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

GST/HST VS VAT

Hi - Thanks for responding.   I am registered for GST/HST - but when you sell stuff you are suppose to include the GST registration number - actually- I may have answered my own question- you have to include the number on the invoice/receipt. I think I can make up my own verbage on the shipping invoice- right?

Messing around the other day- I did find a spot to add a VAT number so it appears automatically on all your auctions- and it even has the abiltity to ad a Canadian Code (CA) for the VAT number.  I wasn't sure if we could just use that spot for the GST/HST.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

GST/HST VS VAT

eBay seems to use the term "VAT" as a generic term to describe any sort of value-added tax such as our GSP/HST, so I'd say there'd be no issues in using it in your invoices or listings in the manner you're describing.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

GST/HST VS VAT

Thanks, I'll add it to the VAT option so it appears on all my listings.  I tried to add it to an invoice but doing so means I can't add anything else.   Hopefully I won't be put into eBay jail!  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply