GST and PST Information for New Sellers

I urge all sellers and would be sellers (located in Ontario) to invest the time to review the Retail Sales Tax Act of Ontario:
http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/cma_3_2491_1.html

Sellers (and would be sellers) residing in other provinces should do the same with their respective provincial government sales tax department websites.

All Canadian sellers (and would be sellers) should also invest the time to learn about the advantage of registering for GST/HST by visiting the GST website:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/topics/gsthst/menu-e.html

For more useful tips, please take a look at tax information for small business in Canada:
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/index_a.htm

Finally, do yourself a favour and read all of it, not bits and pices here and there. Do not select a sentence out-of-context because you like what it states.

To understand the tax system is part of doing business in Canada. If you want to sell on eBay (other than selling personal used goods) you are in fact becoming a small business. To understand the system will save you money and time on the long run.
Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

"How the heck do you actually CHARGE your customer GST?"

By sending them an invoice showing both the amount of tax being charged, the rate 7% or 15% for NB, NS and NL, and your GST registration number.

"when you send them an invoice through Ebay, there is no option for GST or tax. " Do NOT use eBay's invoicing system.
Message 21 of 81
latest reply

I assume that I report any HST collected along with GST collected on my GST/HST form . Just wondering how NS, NB, or Nfl get their 8% share (I'm in BC). Sara
Message 22 of 81
latest reply

"how NS, NB, or Nfl get their 8% share "

The three provincial governments have a deal with Ottawa where Ottawa does all the administration work (combining GST and PST) and gives the three provinces their shares by direct transfers.
Message 23 of 81
latest reply

" assume that I report any HST collected along with GST "

That is correct. Line 103 of your GST/HST Return for Registrants.
Message 24 of 81
latest reply

buckysbears
Community Member
You only have to collect GST if your yearly sales exceed $30,000.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/topics/bn/needone/gst/menu-e.html
Message 25 of 81
latest reply

"You only have to collect GST if your yearly sales exceed $30,000"

That is not entirely accurate.

To "collect" GST, you must be registered.

If your annual sales excees Cdn$30,000 (including exports), you must register for GST.

Many sellers with sales below $30,000 should register with GST. It will benefit them to do so if a large percentage of their sales goes outside Canada.

There is no requirement to "charge" GST.

GST registered sellers must remit GST/HST on their Canadian taxable sales. They may elect to absorb the tax for competitive advantage as many already do.
Message 26 of 81
latest reply

algonquintwinkie
Community Member
Pierre - if you could jump thru the screen and throttle me, I am sure you will...lol

You state
"Many sellers with sales below $30,000 should register with GST. It will benefit them to do so if a large percentage of their sales goes outside Canada."

My sales WILL be below this amount. Many of my buyers (majority) will be outside Canada. Why would it benefit me? Will the gov't give me back the GST I pay out to my wholesaler?
Message 27 of 81
latest reply

Once registered with GST with the Federal government, a seller (regardless of sales volume) receives Input Tax Credits equal to the GST paid on all purchases and related expenses.

If you find a few minutes to check older threads, you will find several posts giving specific calculations how most Canadian sellers would benefit financially by registering for GST, even if they absorb the GST/HST on their Canadian taxable sales.

Break over - back to listing (76 new auction listings so far this morning).
Message 28 of 81
latest reply

algonquintwinkie
Community Member
76 auctions! Right on!

I am listing 3 today - I cannot pass up this opportunity for 10 cent listings!!!

And I just want to let you know I found the .pdf for the FREE Vendor's Permit and I have already printed it and filled it out. Heading to the gov't offices this afternoon - is there anything you can think off the top of your head that I should bring with me? I want to be prepared since I am well aware this is Rev CAD I am dealing with...equivalent to Canada Post....

And I searched the site but I can't find a Purchase Exemption Cert...should I just ask at their offices for it? And if I bring it with me when I pick up my order this weekend, what tax will I be exempt from? I understand all about the GST now - thanks SO much for your links....
Message 29 of 81
latest reply

" this is Rev CAD I am dealing with"

NO, it is not.

Your Vendor Permit is obtained from the provincial government.

The GST/HST regisration is obtained from the federal government (Revenue Canada).

Since your father is already registered, you may ask him for assistance.
Message 30 of 81
latest reply

laurahowes
Community Member
There is a form on the web for a Purchase Exemption Certificate.

You should be able to get a package at the office, too.

There is no "official" certificate you have to use; the ones they give you are just to give an example of what info should be included.
Message 31 of 81
latest reply

laurahowes
Community Member
is there anything you can think off the top of your head that I should bring with me?

If you are going to get the Vendor's Permit issued in anything other than your legal name, bring your business name registration info.
Message 32 of 81
latest reply

algonquintwinkie
Community Member
Thanks everyone...and Pierre - my father is a complete moron! j/k...he has everything filed away and it has been so long since he registered that he doesn't remember anything!!! Thanks for the clarification on rev cad vs prov
Message 33 of 81
latest reply

laurahowes
Community Member
Vendor's Permit only last for 5 years, I think.
Message 34 of 81
latest reply

I have has the same since 1987 ! 😉
Message 35 of 81
latest reply

algonquintwinkie
Community Member
Pierre...this morning it was 76 listings...if you keep coming here your numbers will drop! j/k lol Thanks for all your help - you should get a job with eBay...
Message 36 of 81
latest reply

laurahowes
Community Member
What am I thinking of, then?

Renewal?
Message 37 of 81
latest reply

The business name registration lasts five years.

The vendor's permit lasts forever. The government tries to to create any barriers to you collecting taxes for them 🙂
Message 38 of 81
latest reply

"this morning it was 76 listings..."

Up to 208 listings (302 items) and still going... although a bit slower than earlier this morning.

All auction listings so far have been priced between US$12.00 and US$ 45.00. Every one of them is backed by substantial inventory in my eBay store for identical items. This type of promotion usually results in a low "Sell Thru" rate but brings in huge traffic to the store (and the website) with a fair amount of sales.

Higher priced items (US$50 to US$4,000) will be listed later this afternoon.
Message 39 of 81
latest reply

algonquintwinkie
Community Member
right on Pierre...off to check out your store!
Message 40 of 81
latest reply