German seller adding a specific surcharge for PayPal payments

I have just bought 2 postcards from a German seller, his invoice arrived with 1.00 Euros shipping (fine by me) and 0.50 Euros added with the note "nur bei Paypal plus 0,50 Euro --- sonst bei normaler Überweisung 3,00 Euro --- MfG." which says he is adding the surcharge specifically for paying by PayPal - STRICTLY AGAINST THE RULES. I sent him a message to that effect, the result is a fresh invoice with the surcharge removed and 0.25 added to the postage. Apart from the childish behaviour of the seller, and a long, wasted phone call with eBay, why is it so difficult to report the seller to eBay for demanding disallowed PayPal surcharges?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: German seller adding a specific surcharge for PayPal payments

It's possible they weren't aware of that particular eBay rule. I tried to locate the link on the German site but had no luck. Have attached the link from dot ca. They should be able to translate at their end. I think some sellers are trying to get a bit creative as of late to make up for all the regular fees that keep adding up.

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

-CM

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ask for a Cancellation instead.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You're absolutely right, it has  become much more difficult to navigate through the processes required to report a seller (i.e. without actually phoning Customer Service).  And when you do get to the right page, you'll find yourself faced with a multiple-choice selection.  Choose the wrong topic and down the useless rabbit-hole you go.  It's quite frustrating.  Personally I don't think these changes were an accident.  The "Report This Seller" link used to be prominent in listings, easy to find and easy to use, but not anymore.  

Cancellation is only a reasonable option if you don't care whether you get the item or not.  If this was something you were keen on having, then you took the only steps you could.  Although charging additionally after the fact is verboten, I suspect that many sellers aren't fully aware of eBay's rules, and I can't honestly blame them.  Keeping current with the convoluted web of policies eBay has created is practically a part-time job in itself. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

However much is involved for you to complain, you probably got yourself blocked from future purchases.

How much time have you actually spent with this situation and was it worth it.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Lots of non-Ebay sites that sell do this as well.  Why not?  Bank e-transfers are only $0.00-$1.00 as a comparison.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This used to be extremely common for Euro sellers most often German ones.

Since they can accept Bank Transfers over there (which are free for both buyer and seller) they REALLY dislike PayPal fees.

Your seller is probably been around a long time and just doing what they have always done. Most sellers over there know that it's a lot easier to just inflate their International shipping slightly instead of annoying people with a surcharge.

Yes it's against policy and yes it happens quite a bit.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply