Going on vacation - how many days handling should I put?

Hi I am going on vacation again, I leave my store open with vacation settings.  I am going from June 29 to JULY 6/19.  There are 5 or 10 handling days as a choice.  Previously I went for a week and used 10 days but there was no stat holidays during the week as there is during this week.  

I will put it on tonight before I go to bed, what would you do, 5 or 10 handling time?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi I am going on vacation again, I leave my store open with vacation settings.  I am going from June 29 to Aug 6/19.  There are 5 or 10 handling days as a choice.  Previously I went for a week and used 10 days but there was no stat holidays during the week as there is during this week.  

I will put it on tonight before I go to bed, what would you do, 5 or 10 handling time?

You are going to be away for 38 days and you are going to leave you items available for purchase?

Just my opinion but I'd say you are looking at serious issues even if you use the max handling time of 30 days.

Maybe you meant July 6th? in that case use 10 days (although personally I would hide my listings).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You don't have to hide the listings for the entire period, you can set it to un-hide a few days before you return.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, it was July 6/19 and I have learned from previous holidays not to hide listings unless I am away for more than 2 weeks.   

How ever if I am going for longer than two weeks how do I still have them on holiday mode and unhide them a week or so before I return.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

OK

Use 10 day

In terms of on time metrics (if you care), don't count on Monday being considered a holiday, it should be but it might not be.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

How ever if I am going for longer than two weeks how do I still have them on holiday mode and unhide them a week or so before I return.  

Forgot this part......

In the vacation settings there is a start date and an end date if you are hiding listings. At least there used to be, I don't have a Store currently so I can't check.

One bonus from the GTC thing (I converted all mine back in March) is that I get faux vacation settings using the Out Of Stock option and simply changing the available quantity to zero and then back to 1 when I return. Also use the auto-responder on my own email accounts so the reality is I don't need eBay's help in that regard.

I'm not doing quite enough volume for the Store fee reductions to cover the subscription especially as eBay has been giving some promos on my non-store accounts while I hadn't received on on my Store account for more than a year (and still nothing a year later even though I only use the 50 free). This id (my original) seems to be on the "no promos ever" list, I bet it gets one in a few weeks but I'll be leaving in a few days and won't be back until mid-August.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Forgot another comment.......

Can you and would you want to respond to inquiries while you're away?

When I'm away I am completely off grid so I have picked up a couple of Unresolved By Seller mega-defects as a result, things (International inr's)  that could easily been settled with either communication or refund.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I have the out of office email set up.  I am also going on a cruise so I will have a couple of days in Alaska in ports that I can deal with any issues.   I am never totally unreachable for more than a couple of days at a time.  Because I use Chit Chats over 60% of my items have tracking so there is not the dreaded INR from them.   I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

screenshot-mesg.ebay.ca-2019.06.28-06-45-08.pngShipboard internet sucks, so don't waste your time or money.

Go on a vacation... Leave your phone and laptop at home.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi I am going on vacation again, I leave my store open with vacation settings.  I am going from June 29 to JULY 6/19.  There are 5 or 10 handling days as a choice.  Previously I went for a week and used 10 days but there was no stat holidays during the week as there is during this week.  

Hi @musicyouneed - I agree with @recped that 10 days gives you the largest protection. 

In looking at the calendar though, you may only need a 5 business day handling time, if (and that's a big if) you are confident you can get all orders shipped by the 8th. 

Although, now that I think about it, that puts you in jeopardy for anything sold the 29th through the 1st, even if you shipped on the 8th. A 7 day handling would be perfect in this situation, but alas, not there. 

Better safe than sorry, I suppose. Have a great holiday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I never use internet on the ship, too expensive and too slow.  I usually go to some cafe, buy a coffee and use the internet.  I only need it for 10 minutes just to check and make sure things are in order.  I need to check the internet as I have other things going on in my life besides ebay, parents are in mid 90's, strata council president etc.  I did tell my brother that if one of my parents dies, I didn't want to know about it until I get back. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I did tell my brother that if one of my parents dies, I didn't want to know about it until I get back.

Wise! I told my siblings the same thing.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply