Google - HTTP and HTTPS in listings and i-ways tool

Any one else get this email and how long does it take for i-ways to run?

Starting in October 2017, Google Chrome—the browser used by almost half of all eBay buyers—will begin displaying the message "Not Secure" in the address bar when users visit standard HTTP pages or HTTPS pages that include non-secure HTTP content.

You have listings that contain non-secure HTTP content, and we encourage you to revise this content in your listings immediately. If you're not sure which of your listings contain HTTP content, you can use the i-ways tool to identify them. We have partnered with i-ways to implement an eBay sign-in that protects your full inventory from being available publicly.

What is eBay doing to help?
We believe that the "Not Secure" message may deter buyers from purchasing and impact your conversion rate. To prevent the "Not Secure" message from appearing, we're changing the desktop buying experience starting this October. Listings that contain or link to HTTP content after that time will have one-click item descriptions—a snippet of the description will be visible, and buyers will have to click to see the full description. The mobile experience will remain unchanged.

If you prefer for the full item description to display in your listings, we recommend that you update your HTTP content before October.

Updating listings with HTTP content
Please reference the HTTP page within Seller Center for detailed guidance on how to update your listings.

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Re: Google - HTTP and HTTPS in listings and i-ways tool

I forgot to include item numbers which you asked for. One item number that checks out well is 262906029183. The two which show up as having issues are item # 362085430249 and item # 361609033698.

Message 101 of 103
latest reply

A green check mark means that there is no active content so you don't have to worry about that.

On both of those listings the http content was the ebay store logo and the selling manager pro logo.  I don't know why they weren't fixed on those listings but are ok on other listings.  I would probably just change them manually on both listings.  If you check each of those on shipscripts tool  -  http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm   and then scroll down and click on markup, the links that are http are highlighted in turquoise so you could go into your listings in html mode and change them. I believe shipscripts link has a way to fix them too but I didn't look at that.  I would probably just delete the selling manager pro logo as you don't need that.

Once you get your links fixed by adding " target="_blank" you might not bother with the stores link either.  When you look at that tool, the links with the problem are showing in gold but I believe all of your listings have some link problems. I tried clicking on your see my other items link and it goes to a generic ebay page, probably because it doesn't meet the target link requirements.  I think that shipscript also has a tool to fix those in bulks but I'm not certain of it.

Message 102 of 103
latest reply

Hi all,

I just wanted to duck in to say, in case anyone hasn't already, that those of you with an eBay Store will still see listings in the Store shown as non-secure even if 100% of your listing's content (images, item description, etc.) is secure.

This is because the Stores URLs for both eBay.ca and eBay.com (stores.ebay.ca/stores.ebay.com) are not yet being served over the HTTPS protocol. That's a change that we need to make on our side, and it is being made next year. 

So, as long as you have made sure that your Store listings contain 100% secure user-generated content, you are good to go. It's a good idea to be doing this now so that you are ready when the Stores URLs start being served over the secure HTTPS protocol.

I hope that makes sense and that it helps some of you.

Message 103 of 103
latest reply