Has anyone used Chit Chat service for Australia or Germany?

International mail is getting so expensive.  I use Chit Chat for all my US mail, and some of my CDN mail.  I am now looking at using them for my international as it is about half the price of small packet international air.  

The problems that I see is that it can take a little longer.  It takes 7 to 20 business days, sometimes longer.  They fill up a skid of mail and when it is full send it.  I guess each time it would be different but I can handle 4 weeks but any longer than that well, that is too long. 

On .ca also why can we have economy international mail as one of our options on .ca.  I am not sending it Canada post but economy international which takes longer.  I use that on .com but it is not available on .ca.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wrote:
... On .ca also why can we have economy international mail as one of our options on .ca.  I am not sending it Canada post but economy international which takes longer.  I use that on .com but it is not available on .ca.

???

It's a dropdown choice when you have Flat rate shipping selected. It is a generic choice not associated with any shipping service.

on eBay.CAon eBay.CA

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

wrote:
... On .ca also why can we have economy international mail as one of our options on .ca.  I am not sending it Canada post but economy international which takes longer.  I use that on .com but it is not available on .ca.

???

It's a dropdown choice when you have Flat rate shipping selected. It is a generic choice not associated with any shipping service.

on eBay.CAon eBay.CA

-..-

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

That is great.  I asked for that a long time ago and I am happy to see that they have added it.  Now would it be too confusing for buyers to have a choice of shipping methods, like this:

shipping methods.jpg

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I use ChitChat for all my overseas (their cheap non-tracked version provided by DHL), it's only a couple of days at most slower than Canada Post and for some destinations it's faster.

I use "Standard International" as the shipping service....I have pretty much zero late shipment dings for International.

They fill up a skid of mail and when it is full send it.

Perhaps that because you are in BC, here in Toronto the overseas packages I drop off at ChitChat generally get to Frankfurt Germany within 48 hours and then on to the destination country within 24 hours. Still subject to the same customs delays just like anything sent via Canada Post. Most destinations see delivery in about 10 days except for the usual suspects. (South America etc.)

I've been using DHL Global Mail since 2009, initially direct and for the last few years through ChitChat, in that time I've had two packages go missing, that would be out of 2 or 3 thousand which is the same as my historical rate over the past 30+ years I've done International mailorder.

Given the very low rates you can pad the shipping easily with a handling charge that will more than cover the occasional loss, I've made thousands in my "self-insurance" fund.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I've received items from the US through some type of DHL postal service a couple of times. In both cases I was charged a fee plus tax/duty although I had received many things from the same company via first class int'l without having to pay extra.    If you use DHL global mail is it treated more like a courier delivery in that they are always charged a fee plus tax etc?

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

DHL Global Mail is dropped shipped to the local postal service in the destination country for final delivery, there are never any charges for customs clearance beyond what would normally be charged when shipping via Canada Post. Basically packages are accumulated in Canada, shipped to Frankfurt Germany and then added to the standard outgoing International mail from Deutche Post (part of the DHL Group), processed and delivered by the local postal service.

DHL Express is a courier service and shipments through that service can be subject to brokerage fees just like UPS or FedEx.

Two completely different services.

I've used DHL Global Mail (via Germany), BPost (via Belgium), NordPost (via Norway) and Royal Mail (via the UK).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Hi does all DHL mail go through Germany then on to Australia?

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

If using ChitChatsExpress I'd expect yes (since I suspect CCE turns it over to DHL in the Toronto region). But that's a question you can ask them.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

wrote:

Hi does all DHL mail go through Germany then on to Australia?

Yes it all goes on the daily Lufthansa flight from Toronto to Frankfurt. That is for packages originating in the Toronto area. DHL may also fly direct from Montreal and Vancouver as well but I'm not 100% sure. In any event everything does at some point go through Frankfurt (perhaps the largest transfer point in Europe for air cargo.

If I drop a package off at ChitChat in Toronto on a Monday afternoon ir will likely be flying to Frankfurt on the Tuesday flight (maybe Wednesday with ChitChat in the middle). It would be on the ground for about 24-36 hours in Frankfurt before heading off to the destination country.

Almost all air cargo operates on a hub & spoke system, just like FedEx where almost everything travels through Atlanta or UPS through Nashville all DHL Global Mail travels through Frankfurt.

In my early days with DHL I used them for US bound shipments, even a shipment going to the US northeast from Toronto would go to Frankfurt and then to Boston.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Excellent insight there, thank you for sharing it. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

So am I right to say that all mail going to Australia via CCE from Vancouver goes to Germany first? 

No wonder a buyer in Australia told me there were stamps on the parcel from Europe, I thought that the delivery service just got mixed up with Austria and sent it to Europe by mistake instead of Australia. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

wrote:

So am I right to say that all mail going to Australia via CCE from Vancouver goes to Germany first? 

Most likely they do, but the "stamps" (actually a postage paid by permit indicia) would be applied by a bunch of nice south Asian ladies in the back of a dark and dusty industrial unit in Mississauga (or maybe the Vancouver equivalent).

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

The few times the subject has come up with my European buyers, they have all told me the "Post Mark" showed Belgium.  This was as recent as last week. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@snoopwizwrote:

The few times the subject has come up with my European buyers, they have all told me the "Post Mark" showed Belgium.  This was as recent as last week. 

Yeah I've had the same reports although as recently as yesterday the people at the downtown office told me it's now all via DHL these days. It's possible they don't actually know and think the Tracked and Untracked services are handled the same.

In any event, Belgium through BPost or Germany via DHL it all works exactly the same, drop at Chit Chat, next day flight to Europe, the day after that sent on the way to the destination country.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I use ChitChat for all my overseas (their cheap non-tracked version provided by DHL), it's only a couple of days at most slower than Canada Post and for some destinations it's faster.

Just to clarify - Chit Chats currently offers their International Standard Service which is different from the DHL service which is currently only offered in Ontario.  The Chit Chats International Standard Service gets inducted into the local postal service once it reaches the destination country and depending on customs delays etc can take anywhere from 7-21 business days. 

Chit Chats will soon be offering another international service option that will be faster and with tracking! Delivery of 4-12 business days...stay tuned! 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

So it seems that the 13 or so CD's that I mailed out through Chit Chat to Europe and Australia starting Feb 7/18, none have been delivered. 

The Vancouver Chit Chat told me that they are not sent using DHL but Canada Post and I suspect that they have been sent surface mail.  That won't work for me. 

"Just to clarify - Chit Chats currently offers their International Standard Service which is different from the DHL service which is currently only offered in Ontario.  The Chit Chats International Standard Service gets inducted into the local postal service once it reaches the destination country and depending on customs delays etc can take anywhere from 7-21 business days. "

Oh well, I guess I will be refunding 13 CD's and the cheap shipping to all the buyers over the next month.  

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I’m confused. What would be the point of ChitChat sending parcels to Europe via Canada Post? The CPC Surface Small Packet Is cheap as it is, that’s not the issue. We don’t use it due to delivery estimates. Why Delivery standard did they offer for the service when you used them to send it? It must have given an estimate of some kind. And tracking? Is it Small Packets Surface or International Parcel Surface.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I was in there yesterday and although the website shows up to 21 business days for international delivery, they told me it could take up to 6 weeks.  It has been over a month for a couple of them, so now I am getting worried.  The price was 1/2 of what it would cost for small packet air, 21  (4 weeks) business days I could live with but not 6 weeks.  

I know I was confused about the Canada Post being involved, that's why I am assuming it went by boat.  They said DHL is definitely not involved.  

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Something with that is not right. Like with any service purchased, a buyer (in this case that’s you) cannot buy a service based on one promise and then receive a subpar service instead. If it were me, I’d start kicking up a stink.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I just got my first INR from France.  Item sent Feb 12 using chit chat and estimated delivery Feb 20 to Mar 1/18.  Now what do I do? 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply