Have any Canadian sellers had their US sales drop to near zero?

fort2b
Community Member

On my main selling ID I normally make one or two US sales per day.  For the last 3 weeks I have made zero.  Anyone else?

I'm wondering if Ebay.com have switched their default search to 'US only' again.  This has happened before and as a result none of my listings were being seen in the US.

Has anyone else experienced a complete drop off of their sales to the US?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Have any Canadian sellers had their US sales drop to near zero?

Listing in Canadian dollars. It is a disaster. The world Conducts e-commerce business in US .My sales have dropped At least 60% since forced to sell in Canadian dollars. I cannot control my Profit margin or cost and Remain competitive at the same time. most all products are purchased in USD and the Canadian dollar fluctuates greatly from week to week  and Huge changes from year to year. Selling on eBay.com is ridiculous Unless you selling all the same thing Oh small, lightweight title. To sell items with varying weight and size from ounces to hundreds of pounds Can not be sold on eBay.com. As there is no shipping calculator. What more damage to do due to wet e-commerce site that removed it should. Estimator from the potential buyer. Anyone know?

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

The broken shopping cart is the issue

@fort2b wrote:

On my main selling ID I normally make one or two US sales per day.  For the last 3 weeks I have made zero.  Anyone else?

I'm wondering if Ebay.com have switched their default search to 'US only' again.  This has happened before and as a result none of my listings were being seen in the US.

Has anyone else experienced a complete drop off of their sales to the US?

When your Buyer cannot request a total, they simply empty the shopping cart - The shopping cart has never worked ans still does not. This is why Buyers are paying for one item at a time, another ebay screw up.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Necro Alert.

You do realize you can start your own thread rather than bring back a zombie thread from last year.

-..-

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The first few months are low or nearly zero.  The Canadian buyers were not happy having to pay US funds on the com which is ironic as I used to list my items in US funds on ca before eBay forced us to Canadian funds on ca.  It seems that we cannot win in any way.

Right now I am doing fine at least I am able to sold 1 or 2 items every day now but that is still low comparing to 7 years ago when I sold up to 20 items every day for 2 years until eBay changed the search availability.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM JUNE 2016

When we were dealing with a possible postal strike (that never happened) and the switch to Canadian only currency.

FWIW-- your US buyers see your prices in US dollars in Search.

Only when they go to your listing do they see the Canadian dollar and the US dollar prices side by side.

most all products are purchased in USD

This may be your actual problem. Can you find a Canadian supplier rather than a US one?

To sell items with varying weight and size from ounces to hundreds of pounds

Are you close enough to Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary to use a shipper like chitchatexpress?

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

To sell items with varying weight and size from ounces to hundreds of pounds

Are you close enough to Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary to use a shipper like chitchatexpress? 

The issue here pertains more to the challenge of listing on .com and setting up shipping options for Canadian customers. Ebay.com doesn't have Canada Post shipping rates, so for anything other than items that ship at flat rates like lettermail you'll have a conundrum unless you have enough margin in your product to simply set a blanket rate for the country.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:
The issue here pertains more to the challenge of listing on .com and setting up shipping options for Canadian customers. Ebay.com doesn't have Canada Post shipping rates, so for anything other than items that ship at flat rates like lettermail you'll have a conundrum unless you have enough margin in your product to simply set a blanket rate for the country.

That's exactly it.  As we all know, once you get beyond lettermail in Canada, rates vary widely depending on the exact destination.  And there isn't the option within Canada that would allow a rate for a service similar to Small Packet USA.  I've found that the jump from Canada Post oversize lettermail to parcel can be shocking, sometimes almost as much as Expedited, depending on the destination.  

So yes, when selling from .com it can be a very tricky business shipping to Canada.  Personally I pick a middle destination and hope the losses and gains average out over time.  

P.S.  Sorry to perpetuate this zombie thread.  Sometimes zombies can re-awaken an interesting subject though. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I would say that in the last six month's my Sales have dropped by 50%

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 29 of 29
latest reply