Heads Up, .com Economy Shipping times are Messed up Again

byto253
Community Member

I just noticed this on a sale where I provided options for untracked economy and tracked standard shipping.

The time frame for economy is tighter than for standard.  There have been similar glitches in the past, which had been resolved for a good while but it appears it had creeped back.   I am headed towards the chitchats depot today, so I will ship it with them for a decent price so taking a bit of a hit to make sure I don't have issues.  

United States
Economy Shipping from outside US
Estimated between Wed, Aug 17 and Wed, Aug 24 to 13669

United States
Standard Shipping from outside US
Estimated between Fri, Aug 19 and Mon, Aug 29 to 13669
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

13669 Is Ogdensburg, NY like 55mins - 1h15 from Ottawa/Orleans so maybe its taking into account the distance from you to that postal code (I know its Ogdesnburg as I had a PO Box there for 10 years lol)

I don't list on .com anymore but are further destinations showing similar date ranges?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I just noticed this on a sale where I provided options for untracked economy and tracked standard shipping.

The time frame for economy is tighter than for standard.  There have been similar glitches in the past, which had been resolved for a good while but it appears it had creeped back.   I am headed towards the chitchats depot today, so I will ship it with them for a decent price so taking a bit of a hit to make sure I don't have issues.  

United States
Economy Shipping from outside US
Estimated between Wed, Aug 17 and Wed, Aug 24 to 13669

United States
Standard Shipping from outside US
Estimated between Fri, Aug 19 and Mon, Aug 29 to 13669

In reviewing a discussion on dot com on the subject and confirming with someone adding to the post... they use 5 day handling to build in some extra protection. eBay was NOT adding those 5 days to the delivery estimate. Same 4 to 7 days for all of USA and 3 to 4 weeks with GSP to Canada. eBay is supposed to be looking at it.

I've made similar observations for Canadian sellers and myself. The estimates are 99% the same no matter where you sell from in relation to where you are shipping to for USA. Slight variation for shipments in Canada. Definitely not much of additional time if it is going to somewhere considered a beyond point. Sadly this is something eBay refuses to address or admit to as being a problem.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay's lettermail estimates are ambitious as well, especially for something where there's no tracking as you could potentially rack up INR's pretty quick during certain times of the year. It would be so helpful if they'd add a few days to the end of, frankly, all delivery times just to give sellers a little extra protection. I really doubt it would make change the opinion of most people on whether they'd buy the item or not.

Alternatively, just change the guaranteed delivery times to estimated delivery times, and don't allow a claim for a few days after that time.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

eBay's lettermail estimates are ambitious as well, especially for something where there's no tracking as you could potentially rack up INR's pretty quick during certain times of the year. It would be so helpful if they'd add a few days to the end of, frankly, all delivery times just to give sellers a little extra protection. I really doubt it would make change the opinion of most people on whether they'd buy the item or not.

Alternatively, just change the guaranteed delivery times to estimated delivery times, and don't allow a claim for a few days after that time.

eBay shows a best before delivery time for small packet USA/Intl where as Canadapost does not. Estimates/deliver by are only as good as data inputted.  Just  strange regarding handling time not being applied. I have heard the due date can be affected by the date label was created or parcel being dropped off. Unable to confirm that 1 way or the other. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Flat rate shipping, so zip would not matter.  I took a look at the sale item just now, and it now only shows one (standard) instead of two shipping options and it is giving an economy time frame of delivery by mid-September.   Bit of all over the place, so good to keep an eye on it.   

Message 6 of 6
latest reply