How can PayPal accept an e-mail as part of the address?

So I sold an item to a buyer in Nanaimo B.C. yesterday.  But instead of putting a street number & a street name they put in their e-mail address. How can PayPal accept an e-mail as part of the address? They need to be more thorough in checking that addresses are legitimate. I almost printed up a label before I realized this. The buyer is new & has trouble with English. They also asked me to write a large number on the package. What is going on here?  Has anyone else dealt with this before. They left feedback already & asked me to put the number on the package.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@2nd-time-around-jewelry 

I've had to confirm mailing addresses for buyers with loads of feedback. They moved and forgot to update addresses with apartment numbers and even E/W/N/S. Maybe during the payment process someone needs to add prior to payment CONFIRM....CONFIRM....ARE YOU REALLY SURE for the mailing  address. Even more critical for first time buyers. This is why I ALWAYS google an address prior to creating labels.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Since you have already had contact with the buyer, ask him to confirm that his address really is

123 Any Street

johnsmith@  hotstuff.tv

Nanaimo BC

V9S 4M5

And about the strange /mistaken format,  have you ever seen Saskatchewan rural addresses?  There are all kinds of formats used around the world.

Also Google Map the address you have or at least the postal code.

It is possible that he is using a freight forwarder (which is a Good Thing) and the number is his customer number with the forwarding company.

It is not unusual to have an email address or a telephone number show up as part of the address, but not in the middle of the address as I show it above.

By the way, postal codes are a "postal walk" and the letter carrier is literate enough to be able to work out which house it is going to-- if any.

If you have more problems with the customer, you can cancel the sale without Defect, by using "Problem with Address".

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Update. Customer finally sent me the correct address. I told him to make the corrections in PayPal.  The other number he wanted me to add was a phone number. I have sent the parcel with insurance, tracking & signature required. Hopefully I have covered all my bases.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

In my opinion this is also partially a PayPal issue. I feel we as sellers should be diligent in ensuring the addresses we ship to make sense but I also believe as sellers being charged fees to use the PayPal platform we have a right to rely on the information supplied by PayPal with respect to confirmed addresses, etc. The fact PayPal forces sellers to "track" packages in order to be covered by their stellar Seller Protection Program basically tells me they are abrogating their responsibility to ensure the shipping addresses on their payment notifications are accurate. Again, just my opinion.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@coolthings123 wrote:
In my opinion this is also partially a PayPal issue. I feel we as sellers should be diligent in ensuring the addresses we ship to make sense but I also believe as sellers being charged fees to use the PayPal platform we have a right to rely on the information supplied by PayPal with respect to confirmed addresses, etc.

Not really.

The shipping address for an ebay sale is supplied by eBay to PayPal. That is what a Seller gets to use for a shipping address now that eBay and PayPal are separate companies.

The Buyer's home address and the address they are having the purchase sent to can be completely different.

-..-

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@coolthings123 wrote:
In my opinion this is also partially a PayPal issue. I feel we as sellers should be diligent in ensuring the addresses we ship to make sense but I also believe as sellers being charged fees to use the PayPal platform we have a right to rely on the information supplied by PayPal with respect to confirmed addresses, etc.

Not really.

The shipping address for an ebay sale is supplied by eBay to PayPal. That is what a Seller gets to use for a shipping address now that eBay and PayPal are separate companies.

The Buyer's home address and the address they are having the purchase sent to can be completely different.

-..-

The address on paypal and ebay can be different, as when you sign up for ebay and paypal you must enter your information separately for each website. When someone pays through paypal, it is the address registered with paypal that is used to ship, ebay does not provide paypal with the shipping address. It is recommended that sellers ship to confirmed addresses only, it is paypal I believe who confirms these addresses.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@coolthings123 @2nd-time-around-jewelry 

Yes. That wouldn't hurt. Possibly a tool similar to what is available at the Canadapost site. I believe USPS has the same. CanPost example attached. If you create your postage at the Canadapost website it will not let you ship to a bad address or postal code without correcting.

Canadapost Addresses.JPG

-Lotz

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

The address on paypal and ebay can be different, as when you sign up for ebay and paypal you must enter your information separately for each website. When someone pays through paypal, it is the address registered with paypal that is used to ship, ebay does not provide paypal with the shipping address. It is recommended that sellers ship to confirmed addresses only, it is paypal I believe who confirms these addresses.

The addresses on PayPal and eBay BEFORE payment can be different but after payment they are the same.   The payment address sellers see is always the one that the buyer  indicates they will be using when they use eBay checkout. It has been like that for quite a few years now.   

Also, PayPal only allows addresses from your own country, eBay allows them from other countries so if a buyer is using a forwarding service or sending the item to a friend in another country, the seller will only see that address on both eBay or PP.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply