How fast is Small Packet Surface International to the UK?

mdkxp
Community Member

The only estimate I see on Canada Post's website is 4-10 weeks, but that doesn't specify the actual destination. I am wondering roughly what your experience is shipping this method. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It depends on actual destinations - few countries in Europe may be as fast as 5-6 weeks, but most others - up to 8 weeks...

Asian countries and Australia - up to 3 months... Same about South America.

On recommendations from other sellers and on the base of my own experience I no longer provide SURFACE shipping (unless it is tracked) because all these buyers who are willing to pay less for shipping will not be very patient and INR will be claimed earlier than expected arrival date...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It depends on actual destinations - few countries in Europe may be as fast as 5-6 weeks, but most others - up to 8 weeks...

Asian countries and Australia - up to 3 months... Same about South America.

On recommendations from other sellers and on the base of my own experience I no longer provide SURFACE shipping (unless it is tracked) because all these buyers who are willing to pay less for shipping will not be very patient and INR will be claimed earlier than expected arrival date...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, I was contacted by someone from the UK who wanted my item and even though I didn't offer international shipping at all, I let her talk me into it. And I gave free shipping... So I naturally used the cheapest method. And eBay is telling her it should have arrived by today - which is odd, considering I didn't even offer international shipping in the listing!

I hope the buyer can be patient...
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

eBay is not familiar with individual country's shipping service / speed so what they quote to the buyer is a generic time frame that's usually overly optimistic. Kindly inform your buyer that it was shipped with the cheapest method as per her request and it can take up to 8 weeks to get to UK, and ask her to disregard ebay's estimate because it is generic and not actually actually reflecting the shipping method you used.

For next time, don't ship surface on eBay and don't let your buyer talk you into it. Don't even offer surface mail. Period. Most people are not very patient. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I ship to the UK quite a bit but I Never use Surface. In fact I don't ship anywhere by Surface. It just takes way too long. The only fast way is shipping by Air. It usually gets to the UK between 1-2 weeks on average.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If you have a postal receipt and a copy of the custom declaration I recommend to make a scan of these papers and email them to buyer and just to tell her that this should give them a certain comfort regarding your speed and proper actions on this matter.

Usually people are quite satisfied with this....  Good luck!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, everyone. I don't usually ship internationally, and I'm not any kind of power seller or anything, so I wasn't aware of the crazy ship times (should be illegal, really :P). I won't make the same mistake again.

I did explain to the buyer everything, and hopefully it's not too much longer before arrival.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@mdkxp wrote:

The only estimate I see on Canada Post's website is 4-10 weeks, but that doesn't specify the actual destination. I am wondering roughly what your experience is shipping this method.

Back when I did Small Packet Surface (8+ years ago), the UK was usually 3-6 weeks, rest of Europe 4-8 weeks.

I stopped when eBay/PayPay of that era brought in shipping time limits of 42 days (7 weeks) which meant I'd have INR claims started at 7 weeks, and have the parcel show up at 8 weeks. Stress I could do without. And the 2008 financial crisis reduced the number of ships moving cargo, resulting in longer delivery times.

However, all of my surface packets did eventually show up.

-..-

Why so slow?

Post office collects the surface mail and fills a container (if the parcel is the first to arrive it has to wait until the container is full).

Then the container is sent to a port,

Then waits until it is loaded on a container ship.

And waits until the container ship is fully loaded.

Travels across the ocean subject to weather and other delays.

Arrives at the destination port.

Waits to unload.

Waits to clear customs (or gets transshipped and then gets to clear customs).

And finally handed over to the local post office for the last step.

So lots of potential delays along the way.

-..-

I gave up on Australia for surface when a book took 13 weeks -- although part the problem was AU customs which was averaging 3-5 weeks to process packages (much better these days). I had a very understanding buyer.

-..-

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Was this the $90 card game?

Yeah.

Expect an Item Not Recieved Claim.

If you have a tracking number (are those available on Small Packet International Surface?) you might get a break on time -- about a 20 day extension if I recall correctly, but if you don't you will be forced to refund.

As a new seller, your customer payments are already being Held for 21 days by Paypal.

Don't try to argue the case. If you can't prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will lose AND get a defect on your selling account.

Very painful for a new seller.

even though I didn't offer international shipping at all, I let her talk me into it. And I gave free shipping... So I naturally used the cheapest method.

There is a reason new sellers are not given the opportunity to ship internationally.

And frankly, your customer is a bully who is very likely planning to scam you on the game.

You are allowed to say NO.

You are allowed to choose the shipping method.

Even if you give Free Shipping within North America this does not mean you are required to give Free Shipping overseas.

You can offer those customers shipping that is Air Mail and tracked. Then give the cost of shipping and let the overseas customer decide if the price is reasonable.

Not every sale is worthwhile.

And newbies are fresh meat for scammers.

I am a cynical old woman.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Don't even think about shipping Small Packet Surface internationally!!!! ONLY send by Airmail!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@cooltoycars wrote:

Don't even think about shipping Small Packet Surface internationally!!!! ONLY send by Airmail!

I have shipped without tracking on a couple items antique car parts motorcycle parts that are super hard to find overseas,but i find that in some categories it may be fine but you are definatley taking a big chance,not everyone is out to rip you off,but do beware they walk amoung us,just my 2 cents worth

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The last 3 items I shipped to the UK by surface mail took exactly 49 calendar days, every time.

The difference in cost between Air and Surface for small Packet is small, go with air.  

When I ship really heavy things (9kg) it goes surface mail since air is so expensive at those weights.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply