How much do you pay to ship a 500g 20 x 20 x 20cm package to the US?

Hey guys!

Just trying to see if I'm getting good rates with Canada Post.

How much does it cost you to ship a 500g, 20cm x 20cm x 20cm package to the US.

Using the cheapest (no tracking) option.

I'm paying 11.00$ personally.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member
Sounds fair to me, given that Small Packet Air’s regular retail is $12.10.

For grins and giggles, I checked the USPS online rate calculator for the cost for shipping a similar package from the US to Canada and their cheapest service would set you back US$17.25 and I don’t think it’s subject to discounts.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You must be level 2 or higher with CP. I'm in level one and that would be $11.71 for me.  A big .40 savings over the regular price of $12.10. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I base my shipping fees on the counter rates given here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You probably have it bookmarked, but some other reader may be unaware of it.

This gives the buyer an undiscounted over the counter price. The difference makes up a packaging fee and a few pennies for Cookie Jar Insurance.

Personally,  if I put $12 in postage on a parcel, it costs me much less because I have access to a lot of older mint stamps.

If I need tracking the stamped package can be taken to the PO and they add the tracking label.

Not actually something I sent.Not actually something I sent.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

agreed. My cost would also be $11.71 and I'd be paying via PayPal online shipping and the convenience of using PayPal is important to me.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm on level 2 and its $11.42 now, compared to $11.09 before the 2020 increase.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have an ancient small business account I use at the counter for my 5% discount, but I can't use that same account online because it's too ancient and has been archived at one point and causes all sorts of tech issues. Their support had me create a new account that I use for occasional online shipping, but they've never sent a card even though I keep requesting one.

I didn't realize I could get a better discount if I reached $2500 in spending. Once you've reached level 2, do you get that discount for the next calendar year, regardless if your next year's spending is less than that?

Too bad I haven't been using my card each time I go to the counter. Always figured it was a waste of time if I didn't get the discount!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
... I didn't realize I could get a better discount if I reached $2500 in spending. Once you've reached level 2, do you get that discount for the next calendar year, regardless if your next year's spending is less than that?

The Level discounts are adjusted every quarter year (3 months).

At the end of each full quarter, Canada Post will review your shipping history and adjust your savings level based on the amount you spent during the past 12 months.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You can ask to have the two cards amalgamated.

The clerk at my local post OFFICE (not outlet) suggested that one day, but I didn't follow through because there were people behind me in line.

I have about five different SBS cards, some with the same name and number, some different.  Sigh.

Real Soon Now.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply