How to adjust an invoice already paid help needed

Hi everyone! I had a customer purchase an item in Canada and the postage was calculated through the postal calculator. She paid for the item and then realized that she had forgotten to change her address which is further away then her previous address. She sent me a message through ebay requesting I ship to her new address and since I have an message through ebay I am assuming this would be ok? I have done it before but will all the changes over the years I am not sure if this still holds true.

The new shipping cost is $4.50 more than what she paid. Instead of 14.50 it is now close to $19 Normally I would just go ahead and absorb the cost but the item is only $12 so do the calculations I would be practically giving the item away. My question is what would be the proper procedure to reinvoice or charge the additional cost of $4.50 without doing something I would get in trouble for or dinged for lol

Thank you so much for the help! : )

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How to adjust an invoice already paid help needed

" My question is what would be the proper procedure to reinvoice or charge the additional cost of $4.50 without doing something I would get in trouble for or dinged for"

Send the buyer an invoice for the addition postage cost through PayPal (click on "money", then "request money")

I suggest you contact the buyer first to explain why you are sending the additional invoice.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks Pierre! You are always so helpful!!!  Very much appriciated! I did contact the buyer just waiting for her to responds back! 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I would not ship to a different address. Ever. You may have a message from the buyer on eBay, so in theory, that protects you for an eBay Not Received claim. But what if she goes to PayPal instead? You won't be covered there. PayPal doesn't have access to your eBay messages. You would loose everything. Even with tracking.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Even if I send her an invoice through paypal mentioning that she requested the item to be shipped to a different address?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

And if I refund her would I not just recieve a defect for refunding ?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@sweet.things.4u wrote:

And if I refund her would I not just recieve a defect for refunding ?

No defect for refunding (the only penalty is the 30 cents PayPal keeps).

So refunding and having the buyer pay again with the new address is still an option.

-..-

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Really sometimes I think we go way too far assuming buyers are criminals waiting to rip us off.

I prefer to look at situations like this from a customer service perspective.

It is easy for you and for her to send a second invoice for the difference with a note in it saying the same (I normally would also send a separate specific ebay message saying I sent a 2nd invoice for the extra shipping).

This way the buyer gets a second small invoice to pay and all is well, no muss no fuss.

This is on the assumption you can afford, in the unlikely case this poor soul is trying to rip you off after all this discussion for the item and you burn for the $32. 

I don't remember ever turning a changed address down. I do not remember ever being ripped off by someone who has asked me to change the address since 1999. However I apparently live in the golden world of stamp buyers so the same thing may not necessarily be the case for your buyer group (although it looks like it is Xmas ornaments, I'd think that would be rather safe). Of course if the amount was significant I think any of us would use our judgement accordingly.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd just send an invoice for the extra $4.50 with the separate messaged advising of the same.....

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I would do the same as you.  I haven’t had a problem doing that in the past.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks everyone! That is what I did...I sent and invoice for the balance of the shipping. All is well!! : )))

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I would do the same as you.  I haven’t had a problem doing that in the past.

The only time I did that, I got ripped off. So no more for me. And it was not a big ticket item, just magazines. But that was enough for me to stop doing this.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

so the same thing may not necessarily be the case for your buyer group (although it looks like it is Xmas ornaments, I'd think that would be rather safe).

Anything that involves religious practices, is more likely to be scammed, not less.

I think because the pietists believe they are better than others and can do as they like.

The problem is not related to any one religion either.

And I speak as a practicing Christian on this.

Never trust a seller who adds blessings to her descriptions.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply