How to handle unprofessional buyers sometimes unfortunately?

land1435
Community Member

In seller's world, i do agree 100% that buyer's feedback is important and we need to support them all ways we can, how do you experts handle when you see a genuine case where it is not seller's issue but buyer keeps on going so unprofessional demanding you to ship item right away (though as per policy, you have 2 days to ship) & even threaten to file a complaint after a seller issues the Refund in paypal (with records) whereas it is paypal's or bank policy that Refund takes a week.

How to handle these situations?

Also, does ebay really validates all ebay messages/conversations before accepting a buyer's false feedback on seller?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

All one can do as a seller is:

-act professionally and politely

-speak only to the situation don't push back (ie avoid "you" or defensive wording in responses)

-if negative or neutrals are received, respond professionally/politely

-block the buyer

-realize they are going to happen it is part of doing business. Minimize the time effort and cost it takes to resolve it and move on (this is much easier to write than to do!!!!!!)

A negative feedback with a professional/polite response is somewhat a non-issue. A non-professional/impolite response speaks volumes.

Here are some of my "form letter" responses I use for replies to neg/neutral feedbacks:

Buyers first contact regarding any issues. Will contact them to try to rectify.

or

Unaware of any issue before receiving this,will contact buyer to try to rectify.

(you can check my own negs/neutrals to see other examples of what I've written. Sometimes I've done a better job than others of staying unemotional)

Here is a form letter style I use to try to resolve the situation:

Hi! I am sorry to see from the negative feedback you left me that you were disappointed with this mixture. There are options available to resolve this, if you return the stamps intact you can receive a full refund, or a partial refund is another option as well. If you would prefer to go the partial refund route, I would look for your help to identify the appropriate refund amount given the issues experienced. It is unfortunate that the first news I have of any problems is a negative rating, which is damaging to my reputation, before I've had a chance to know about what the issue is or am able to try to work with you to resolve it! I hope that once this is resolved you will consider revising your rating. Let me know how you would like to approach resolving this when you can, and have a great day!!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You sold an item.

The buyer paid.

The seller demanded immediate shipping.

You have 2 day Handling.

You are unable to ship sooner.

The buyer is harassing you to ship immediately.

You refunded and cancelled.
Did you use Buyer Request, based on the buyer's demand for earlier shipping than in the listing?

The buyer threatens to file a complaint because Paypal cannot refund him immediately.  (??)

Yeah, we all get one of those from time to time.

The reason for the cancellation is important, because Buyer Request and Problem with Address are the only two reasons we can cancel without penalty.  Fingers crossed you did it right.

EBay regards FB as voluntary and does not check it except for robotic sweeps for vulgar language and certain other slurs (thief/scam/refund).

The buyer can leave feedback, and you can leave a Response, but before you even THINK about responding, phone Customer Service and ask about having any negative feedback removed -- the basis for the removal being that message about filing a complaint. Try to have it removed because of "feedback extortion".

To be more positive, feedback does not affect your seller account. Some buyers look at FB ratings, but most seem to think 95% is just dandy (instead of being in kicked off eBay territory).

Those that look at FB may even read the message and decide you were dealing with a nutbar.

Responses are possible but draw attention to the neg. Better to let them move back down the list under all the positives from your happy customers.

I think you are right to give two day handling even if you are able to manage one day handling. Better to have the buyer expect arrival in ten days and have it arrive in six, than have him expect nine days and have it arrive in ten.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If this is the (0FB) account you expect to have FB left on, and it is a neg, just abandon it.

We can have several accounts, some people have them just for posting some one for buying and one for selling.

Don't stress out.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply