I am done with insuring my items UPDATE…

I don't know what, but eBay must have done what the reps had been telling me (the buyer had to comply with the insurance request and they where going to help me) because hold and behold the buyer complied with the requests from the insurance and as I promised I gave him a full refund rightway. 
Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@rio1953 wrote:

I don't know what, but eBay must have done what the reps had been telling me (the buyer had to comply with the insurance request and they where going to help me) because hold and behold the buyer complied with the requests from the insurance and as I promised I gave him a full refund rightway. 
Any thoughts?

The information you mentioned was required to process a claim required from Canadapost (and other couriers for that matter) has been standard for years. The downside is eBay does not go by any of it by their pages as being required. There hands get washed when refund has been sent to buyer. Below are the full and current  requirements from CP's help page. To process any claim takes cooperation from BOTH parties. The seller who sent the item and the buyer who received it. Same similar requirements for service failures.

Check your eligibility

The following criteria must be met to start an investigation into a damaged package:

You must be the sender of the package

The package must have been sent using one of our trackable services

The contents of the package must qualify for a damage refund

The investigation must start within the stipulated timeframe

If you’re the receiver of the damaged package:

• Contact the sender. Only the sender can ask us to start an investigation.
  • Keep the damaged package intact (including the shipping container, packaging materials, and invoices). We’ll ask for pictures and may need you to ship the item to us for inspection.

Ask us to start an investigation

If the package is eligible, the sender should ask us to start an investigation by opening a support ticket below.

The following information is required to start an investigation:

• The tracking number of the damaged package
  • The sender’s name and address
  • The main contact person’s name and contact information
  • The receiver's name, address, and contact information
  • The amount of additional insurance coverage purchased
  • A description of the contents of the package
  • The last date the sender was in contact with the receiver

Please note: We may ask for other information (proof of payment, proof of the item’s value, verification of insurance purchased) as part of the investigation, but it’s not required to start.

Open a support ticket

-Lotz

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

A short (and real story). I was with ChitChats for a few months. I shipped 500 items with them. Every time I printed a shipping label I was asked to buy an insurance - just 1.00 - 1.50 dollar, so not expensive, right? I always refused. 

One day, they lost my package. I refunded the buyer. Here what the math says about that:

500 items insurance = 500-750 dollars. 

1 refund of 24 + 5 dollars for shipping  = 29 dollars. 

Savings: 471 - 721 dollars.

The choice is yours.   

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Lotz, I didn't even bother with CP as they try to wiggle out of that quite instead I just asked for them to refund the shipping as package arrived late. They approved that.

My insurance is with Shipsurance and will see how it goes.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Do you really think that I would insure items worth a slow as 25 dollars?

I insure my high end items which are worth quite a bit and the loss of some of them could put me in the hole for as much as all your sales combined.

I understand your logic, it would be foolish of you to put insurance on your items but it would be crazy for me not to do it on some of mine.

I don't ship with chitchats. I buy my labels through Shippo and use Shipsurance.

Thanks for your input.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

My beef was with eBay not requiring buyers to cooperate with the insurance when asked to provide info or to fill forms.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

That's great!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

Do you really think that I would insure items worth a slow as 25 dollars?

The rule is the same, no matter how expensive is the item. Insuring an expensive item costs more than 1 dollar - so how many thousands you paid for the insurance? According to my experience (I shipped tens of thousands of items by CP, Shippo and ChitChats), it's is extremely rare that an item with tracking (or even without one) gets lost.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

My personal view regarding insurance is a balance of risk tolerance vs volume.

Certainly if one ships 100s of $1,000 items then "self insuring" is probably wortwhile for a $1000 item.

I think the majority of us here are sending average sized items in the $25 to $100 each range. Generally for most folks the "cookie jar" insurance plan would be worthwhile for the average sized item if it is lost.

The problem is if one is sending a "rare" large item compared to the average order size. The % risk of loss is the same for a $25 item as a $2,000 item, but the cash flow impact of losing the large one is much more catastrophic.

For a simplified example lets say my average item size is $25, selling 500 a year. Cooke jar insurance easily lets me cover lets say an exhorbitant % loss of 5% = $625 (which is still positive against the $500 if one uses a $1 per item put into the cookie jar and a 5% loss rate is about 10x what would normally be experienced) The problem is if perchance the $2,000 item is lost, the cookie jar of $500 is gone as well as $1500 direct.

This is what I think most folks are worried about. Generally we aren't fortunate enough to sell many extraordinarily large items, against our average order size but when one does, one doesn't want to risk that one being the 1 out of 200 items lost on average.

For me personally, I have 3rd party insurance that kicks in if the item value is over $200. It is part of a larger expensive plan (for a business) but this portion is very very economical compared to the theoretical covered value, something like 1/4 of 1% of covered sales. Same as you, I do not remember when I had an item valued at the covered rate lost, but the 1/4 of 1% cost to make sure it doesn't happen and related peace of mind is very very worthwhile to me.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hi, can I ask you which 3rd party insurance do you use?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hugh Wood Canada in Toronto, but keep in mind this is a part of a much larger and more expensive business insurance plan. They at least understand collectibles businesses.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I agree with @ricarmic that Hugh Wood International of London, New  York and Toronto are excellent insurers for those in the collectibles business.

We also use them for our personal art collection and DH's stamps.

They work on annual contracts, not one offs, so occasional sellers would not likely find them economic, but they are better on coverage for those who sell steadily, on home businesses, and on those who travel to shows.

https://hwinternational.com/ca/

Message 12 of 12
latest reply