I'm out over $500 and Ebay Customer Service Refuses to Help - Any advice???

Hello,

I'm a 20years+ Ebay who buys and sells mostly sports cards.  I have 2600+ positive transactions, 100% positive feedback.    A couple months ago I sold a card to a USA buyer for $270 cdn (250 +20 shipping). 

The card had a flaw that brought down the condition.  I described this very well in the listing.  Shortly after receiving the card the buyer claimed that it had undescribed damage and wanted to return it.  He sent 2 pictures, 1 of a scratch on the card case, and another of 2 photo/print dots on the card. 

The case was brand new, I don't know how it got scratched, it's basically a part of the packaging anyways, not the actual card.  The print dots are a characteristic of the card, they are no different than letters on the players jersey or the lettering on the front.  All copies of this card have them.  There is nothing i can do about it and I have seen perfect copies of this card with these photo/print spots.  

I had indicated no returns on the card but to be a good Ebayer I accepted to take the card back.

Ebay, the buyer and I established that I could not send a return mailing label as I live in Canada and the buyer is in the USA.  They suggested I send money to cover the return shipping.  The buyer asked for $20USA and I sent it immediately.  He then indicated that the return shipping would be $51USA. 

At first I responded that the price was too much.  It's almost $75 canadian to have a card returned.  I bought a $1400 card from the USA not long ago and it was less than $20USA to have shipped.  I asked him to work with me and check the other options.  He stuck to his price. 

I contacted eBay and they agreed it seemed like a lot of money to ship the card.  They asked me work with the buyer and see what we could figure out.  I sent the buyer a nice email and said look, whatever you want I'll do.  I offered the $51 for shipping or as a credit to the purchase.  Please advise me how to proceed.  I just wanted this to be over as it was very time consuming.  

Then the buyer decided to stop communicating with me.  I couldn't believe it!

I contacted ebay several times through chat box, emails, and phone calls.  Every time I was thanked and assured that I was doing the right thing.  If the buyer wasn't communicating well I did my part and he had to send the card back to get a refund. 

**I should note that every time I contacted ebay, it was like the first time over and over again.  It was like they didn't read the case files.  Then when the phone reps read the files, they were very reassuring to me!!!!

Wednesday July 8, I received an email from eBay that the buyer had closed the return and asked them to step in.  I was given 4 days to provide a shipping label.  Really????  We've been through this on day 1 !!!!!!

I called ebay and spoke to a nice rep that reviewed the file and assured me that a decision would be made the next day and it looked like it would be in my favor.  The case would be closed. 

I didn't hear back on a decision.  I emailed ebay and received a response that I would have to send the buyer a label and thanks for being such a great ebayer.  REALLY?  Back to day 1?  REALLY?  What kind of service is that?  I felt discouraged and totally disrespected.  

I eventually received an email from eBay saying I lost the case and my account was being charged $270.  I called and explained the situation to a rep.  How can a refund be processed when the buyer was ignoring me?   I didn't get my $250 card returned?  How can you give a refund without returning my item?  What about all the advice ebay gave me that I was doing the right thing??  Never was I told that I made any mistakes, over and over I was told I'm doing the right thing!!

It was referred to an appeal and within a day I received and email that stated...... "

we determined the original decision was correct.

You won't receive a refund for this case

I then chat boxed ebay customer service again.  Explained myself again.  I want  my item back and feel ebay should call me to explain the decision and what I did wrong.  I only followed what I was told by ebay and now you are going against everything that I was told.

He indicated I would hear back from appeals within 24-48 hours.  That was last Thursday and they have not responded.

Does anyone know how to actually contact an Ebay customer service manager.  I have all the documenting emails, chat logs and phone calls.  I just want someone to look at this that has some authority.  I cannot afford to be out over $500 and could use some help.

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: I'm out over $500 and Ebay Customer Service Refuses to Help - Any advice???

tyler@ebay 

I appreciate your response and position in this matter.

Please understand that in my position I followed every direction that eBay gave me.  To have the contacts reviewed is fine, but it doesn't do anything to assist my request for assistance. 

I'm not worried about next time.  I would like this referred to someone who can deal with this matter this time.  Last Thursday I was told I'd be contacted within 48hours, it was misleading and clearly brushed off by the way it's being handled.

I don't feel that I'm asking too much here, just take a look at the advice/direction I was given and make it right.  Or at least give me a proper explanation on why this has been handled the way it has.  I'm out a significant amount and I'd like you to refer this to someone who will take the time and review the matter properly.  

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

I will have your contacts to CS reviewed for appropriate action/coaching, as we should be giving you correct information and following up as we promise to. 

Tyler,
Community Team

With all respect Tyler, I have heard the very same words  from the Elite C/S management and it all doesn't add up to a hill of beans. Ask me how I know.

This seller deserves better than words.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for the supportive response.

I'm feeling a bit baffled here?  Should I expect a contact via your follow up tyler@ebay 

As another update to the story.  Paypal called me yesterday to tell me that my name would be put in the collections agency if I don't go good on the negative balance soon. 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Have you contacted Facebook's eBay for Business yet?  Many people have posted successes there. Some, not so much but, certainly worth opening up a dialogue with them. 

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

I'm feeling a bit baffled here?  Should I expect a contact via your follow up tyler@ebay 

Having read and re-read Tyler's initial response to your post, I would say no, you should not be expecting any further communication from him. 

eBay Facebook for Business. I believe they also have a pecking order so, if your first contact person there does not resolve in your favour, please insist on kicking it up the ladder to group leader/manager/team leader. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

tyler@ebay 

I guess my thinking was.....  should I expect a response from the folks he contacted in regards to the poor service from the reps? 

If the reps didn't follow through and misdirected me..... which they did..... when they follow-up with the staff on the unsatisfactory job they did..... the first steps in improving customer service would be to follow up with the 20+ year ebayer that they "misguided".

Hoping that customer service isn't just a job title at eBay, that someone actually cares? 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Your logic is spot on but, there is little if any chance of  the folks that may have been contacted about this contacting you.  

And yes, you have every right in being disappointed, disenchanted and again, I am sorry you were given BAD information by the people who are paid to give correct information and it is you who ends up getting financially skrewed over because of that wrong info from eBay employees. 

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@travis7s 

Yes, I've done this.

It wasn't easy, nothing with Shippo ever is, which is why I don't use it preferring Paypal for labels, but it was reasonably straightforward.

I consider it all the more successful, because the scammer buyer did not use the label, lost the Dispute because he did not return the item, could not leave feedback, and eventually (very eventually) I was credited with the price of the label.

The item was a stamp sold as " no gum" (in title and in description) which the buyer wanted a discount on because it had no gum.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@station41 wrote:

As another update to the story.  Paypal called me yesterday to tell me that my name would be put in the collections agency if I don't go good on the negative balance soon. 

Instead of waiting for a follow up from eBay, I do think it's in your own financial best interest to add some balance to your Paypal account for the time being, instead of getting your info sent to a collections agency, as that would negative impact your credit history... Yes, it's not right that you're out the money and you have to fill that hole right now, but I think it's better to have one less problem at the moment, so that you can focus on dealing with eBay instead of having to sort out the issues with collections agency as well afterwards.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

This is exactly one of the many, many, MANY reasons WHY I have a SHOPIFY Store! And, no longer sell my higher-priced items on this platform!

eBay at it's FINEST!

TIN CAN REPLIES and one-sided decisions!

... and wait till MP gets implemented, LOL

Message 30 of 30
latest reply