I need help with pricing and auction or not on this one.

I have a signed CD Taylor Swift from 2006 that I am wanting to sell.  I did some research and most of them sold at over $400 US.  One is listed for over $2,000 US hasn't sold.  What advice would you give me?  I was thinking I would do an auction starting at $399 US (or is that too low)?

taylor.jpgtaylor2.jpgtaylor3.jpgtaylor4.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@musicyouneed wrote:

I have a signed CD Taylor Swift from 2006 that I am wanting to sell.  I did some research and most of them sold at over $400 US.  One is listed for over $2,000 US hasn't sold.  What advice would you give me?  I was thinking I would do an auction starting at $399 US (or is that too low)?

taylor.jpgtaylor2.jpgtaylor3.jpgtaylor4.jpg

Do you have a COA for it or have you checked into the possibility of getting one? Would add to its value big time. Just not sure of the cost. Canada/USA only and Xpresspost or Priority for sure.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

No COA, I purchased it myself April 8, 2006 at her concert.   

I could get it verified on line using this company:  https://www.autographcoa.com/authentication/taylor-swift/   I think it would cost $40 USD, do you think it is worth it? 

For other autographs I have just emailed the person and they verified that it was their signature but then it was not Taylor Swift.  I might send her something.  I ended up sending a tweet to a reality star and they got back to me.  

autograph.jpg

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@musicyouneed 

For an entertainer with her worldwide appeal it would be worth it to get 1. I've sold a few autographed items in the past. Books and sports items. With BIN just a matter or patience. Auction now can be very iffy!! Without a COA "some" buyers will accept with a photo of them signing and you in the photo. Proof of ownership. Not perfect but better.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I have sent her an instagram post, plus emailed her, plus I contacted the above company autograph.coa.  I can see having it verified would bring in more money so it would be worth it.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If you can get it verified for $40 you will at least get that increase in sales price, and make it much easier to sell.  Dollar wise it is petty much a no brainer to me.    The only question would be the turn around time.   

It will be interesting to see if you get a response from Swift's folks.  I imagine they get a lot of verification questions.  They know that this increases the value and is probably for a resale situation so it comes down to their position on that.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Capture.JPG

@byto253 

@musicyouneed 

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Don't waste any money. 8168 Swift items "supposedly" autographed sold on eBay in the past 12 months. Average Spence or Beckett authenticated ones sold for $100cad. Definately not worth it.

These are the three authentication firms eBay recommends for your type of item. They are all highly  recognized worldwide in the various eBay communities.

In my opinion no one else will raise the value enough to compensate you for the cost of service, the cost of shipping it both ways, the time delay (months), putting your item at risk in transit and for all your time spent expediting.  If your going to do that you might as well go to Spence or PSA.

Her signature looks pretty easy to verify based on it's simplicity and abundance.  for the same reason it's easy to fake hence the 8,000plus  sold in 1 year as per Terapeake.  You may also consider "First Look" from JSA or PDS/DNA "Quick Opinion". It's not as "official" as you don't send them your item. You send a digital photo of it. It's way cheaper and faster. 

I still wouldn't do that either based on the excessive abundance of her autograph. If she signed it onstage for me I would sell it for $100. If I had any reasonable doubt she signed it (3rd party) I wouldn't sell it on eBay.

Best way to get full value for her signature is to photgraph her signing a size large women's t shirt at a concert and sell the shirt and photo together. 

IT

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

The vast majority of the Taylor stuff that has sold in the past year is her newer stuff. The new thing for artists to do these days to get people to buy the music vs just getting for free online is to sell the physical CD with the autographed booklet, they do that in mass. Some Celebs actually sign the stuff (Taylor does) a lot just use a autopen machine to sign various versions of their autograph with suble differences to try and trick people aka fake. The market is flooded with her newer CD's as she has realeasd a ton of the signed versions.

The one the original Poster has is a much rarer signature and I would recommend getting it authenticated with one of the compnies for buyers piece of mind and to help sell it at a higher price

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your info.  An office of James Spence is located in Ft Lauderdale where I am going in January.  It is a 10 minute car ride from my hotel.  I am going to look into getting it authenticated then, rather than shipping it both ways.  At least I am going to contact them and see what they say.   The CD I have is her first CD from 2006 that was purchased at her concert in Vancouver.  I think that it may be worth it for me.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

"No COA, I purchased it myself April 8, 2006 at her concert.   "

I only got part of that photo of the person with a hat. It was cutoff. When you purchased it did you see her sign it? Did you get a photo?  what about Merch? Was it in the stadium or in the parking lot? Even merch in the stadium can be bootleg.  If you have a receipt from Merch with a descrption use that as provenance. The provenance would override the need for authentication. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I think that may be OK. Do you have Terapeake? You can see what that signed CD sells for with the Spence COA. Be aware there are 40 pages of her autogrpahed items there so folter first by "CDs".  Her signature may be authentic even if you didn't watch her signe it. The problem is it's very easy to fake. I think this explains why there arew so many. I doubt 8,600 terapeake sales last year were authentic.

For example Liberace signed his book for me (for my mother actually).  If you've seen his autograph you would know why only 166 sold last year recorded on Terapeake. Pretty hard to fake. I sold that for a few hundred dollars with no COA. 

When I worked with BB King a few times he signed his  promo photo for me. After he passed away I decided to sell it. BB worked 350 days a year and he was extremely generous with autographs. That lowered the value a lot. Fortunately his signature is moderately difficult to fake. I listed mine along with my comp ticket , some photos taken with him in his dressing room and our COA.  I listed it a year ago at $319.00 or Best Offer. Not one single offer. He was just too prolific like Taylor. Here's a link to my listing.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/304129870420?hash=item46cf8d8a54:g:Bi8AAOSwz79hMB6s

According to Terapeake most of hers go for under $100 with the COA. There are exeptions . They  tend to include large framed wall candy with other provenance and not a lone small CD.   You could  put it up for auction if you set your starting bid for the least amount you expect to get. No harm in that. If it doesn't sell you will know the value. 

If you go to spence you may want to ask others if they have anything to authenticate at the same time. 10 other items may cover your expenses. sometimes they do road trips to Canada. They used to go to Toronto on occasion and authenticate on the spot. They are so busy now due to sports cards and other investor requests I heard they don't have enough authenticators so they stopped.  I don't know if that's true. 

I'm listing an Iggy Pop band signed item and a Pretenders Band signed item. I don't want to send them off because they will charge me for everyone's autograph not just Chrissie Hynde and Iggy. Even at $30 per sig it's too much so instead I'm going to make a YouTube video about my time with them backstage. I don't have any photos unfortuantely. I wasn't working the shows. I just went to eat backstage with the bands! The food was good!

Anyway good luck with it. I hope you didn't see my sugestions as interferance.  Just trying to help!

IT

Message 11 of 11
latest reply