I sold an item and got paid via e-Transfer. Is it safe?

I sold a camera today. The winner was from Canada, with 0 (zero) feedback. The account was created in 2018.

I have got a reply that he has issues with his PayPal and he offered to pay via e-Transfer.

He even sent me $40 dollars more to expedite the shipping.

I accepted the money and now they are in my bank account. The name on the e-Transfer matches the name of the eBay account.

Is there anything suspicious here??

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Assuming it was Canada's Interac e-Transfer between Canadian banks/credit unions then you will have no problems.

http://interac.ca/en/faq.html#faq_137

Interac e-Transfer is a fast, secure and convenient way to send money to anyone in Canada from within the security of your online banking service. It uses email or text messaging for fast notification to the recipient that a transfer has been sent, while the participating financial institutions transfer the funds using established and secure banking procedures.

Once a transfer has been deposited, it cannot be cancelled or reversed.

Like using cash, you should send money transfers only to parties you know and trust. 

I suspect the buyer was worried about the Canada Post strikes when they added extra money for faster shipping.  And new buyers can have issues dealing with paypal.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It almost sounds to good to be true, but maybe not. If the e-transfer works like it has for me in the past, then as soon as you accept the money it's yours. But to be safe maybe contact your bank and ask if e-transfers can be cancelled, find out the particulars before mailing anything. It sounds like by the amount that was paid for shipping, tracking should be included, and that will help also protect you from any scammers. Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@georgeky20

He even sent me $40 dollars more to expedite the shipping.

Oh really?

Why?

Did you not have any shipping price on the listing?

Is the customer in a country you don't usually ship to?

It is the seller's perogative to choose how she will be paid and what shipping service she will use.

Both of these perogatives are Seller Protections.

Talk to your bank manager.

If and when you ship pay the $1.50 for Signature Confirmation. The parcel will not be left unattended on the doorstep. Cheap insurance.

And just for giggles, look up the customer's address on Google Maps.

I once ended a Dispute by mentioning in the Message that my buyer should ask at the cafe next door to her house if the parcel had been delivered there, and that I was fascinated that her house was even narrower than my first home.  Either the package was found or I scared the bejeebers out of her .

Scammers like anonymity.

I am old and cynical.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I am in Canada and he is in Canada.

I checked the street view on google maps and it's actually a house 🙂

My main concern is. Is there any chance eBay to reverse the eTransfer?  No right?  Because paypal did one time..

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You're in Cyprus? Or are you in Fort Mac?  (I have a niece there, and two grand-nieces.)

And while you have been selling, you just returned to selling recently and are still working with a Hold on your Paypal account.

This shouldn't affect your Canadian customer. And e-transfers are pretty new here.

Cameras are a high value/high fraud category.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Assuming it was Canada's Interac e-Transfer between Canadian banks/credit unions then you will have no problems.

http://interac.ca/en/faq.html#faq_137

Interac e-Transfer is a fast, secure and convenient way to send money to anyone in Canada from within the security of your online banking service. It uses email or text messaging for fast notification to the recipient that a transfer has been sent, while the participating financial institutions transfer the funds using established and secure banking procedures.

Once a transfer has been deposited, it cannot be cancelled or reversed.

Like using cash, you should send money transfers only to parties you know and trust. 

I suspect the buyer was worried about the Canada Post strikes when they added extra money for faster shipping.  And new buyers can have issues dealing with paypal.

-..-

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Not sure about convenient. Or fast.

My gardener wants to be paid that way, but after spending half an hour in the bank doing the transfer, I told him he could take my darn cheques and be glad of them. He knows where I live after all.

I am old and cranky. I'd tell him to get off my lawn, but that's what I'm paying him to mow.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I am from Cyprus but currently living in Fort McMurray 🙂

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

My gardener wants to be paid that way, but after spending half an hour in the bank doing the transfer, I told him he could take my darn cheques and be glad of them. He knows where I live after all.

I am old and cranky. I'd tell him to get off my lawn, but that's what I'm paying him to mow.

I have both sent and received interac e-transfers.

I can send with just a few clicks in less than a minute. Receiving is even easier and faster.

You state "in the bank", you can't do an interac e-transfer IN a bank, you do it online!!!!

Click the transfer button.

Enter the email address you are sending to.

Enter the security Q/A (the recipient must enter the answer to accept the transfer).

Done!

You don't need to know anything about the recipient other than their email address, the recipient doesn't need to know anything other than the answer to the security question.

Once accepted an e-transfer cannot be reversed by ANYONE.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If it's already in your bank account then I think it's pretty safe, but it doesn't hurt to phone your bank to double check. Is it a really fancy / rare camera? Just asking out of curiosity.

I guess they sent you the extra $40 in hopes that you'd send it with xpresspost or maybe private carrier like Fedex or UPS.

---

@reallynicestamps ROFL laughing

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

As recped mentioned it takes a couple of minutes (or less) to go online and send or receive an etransfer from within Canada.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

My gardener wants to be paid that way, but after spending half an hour in the bank doing the transfer. . .

Well, there's the problem.  You were trying to do it from the bank, and not in the comfort of your own home.  😜

Message 12 of 12
latest reply