If buyer does not pick it up and it is returned to me by canada post, what options do I have

33nhl
Community Member

Recently had a decent large sell took the buyer 3 days to pay which I have no problems waiting up to 5 days as sometimes buyers don't have funds in ther paypal.

But now after 10 days the item has been sitting at the post office outlet waiting for the buyer to go and pick it and yesterday  tracking show FINAL NOTICE if not picked up will be returned to sender.

I have sent 3 emails with no replies I have a feeling this item will be returned to me but was looking forward to having this nice item sold.

If buyer does not pick it up and it is returned to me by canada post, what options I have ? Do I have to refund the money ? although I mentioned that no returns accepted

Please advice, much appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If buyer does not pick it up and it is returned to me by canada post, what options do I have

If the buyer doesn't pick it up and it's returned to you, you're pretty much home free as far as refunds go.   That is, you won't be required to refund as per eBay rules, so what you do will be up to you.

I'm not sure how eBay deals with the FB issue these days.  Things have changed so much recently, but odds are that if the buyer leaves you NFB because you opted not to refund that you'll have a decent shot at having it removed.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If you do refund your buyer I believe you can do so minus the cost of shipping both ways. Depending on your shipping method you may be charged for return shipping by Canada Post. Do NOT send a refund until you receive your item back as this can take weeks or even months sometimes depending on where it is coming from.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Last week I had an expedited package to ship to the US. I decided to use Snap Ship because I have been charged for underpayment several times, and I hoped doing it that way would be better.

One thing I didn't like is that there was a option asking that it the package was undelivered I wanted it returned at sellers expense or discarded. I didn't really want either of those options, but there was no other choice, so I checked the return at my expense. I have been anxiously waiting to see if it was been delivered, it was today.  I have had other items returned, mostly letter mail I seem to remember, but have not been charged.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I have had other items returned, mostly letter mail I seem to remember,

Usually those don't get further than your local terminal  and will have a label over the address with the postage due scribbled on it.

If you want to send it again, you have to add more stamps.

I had a parcel that was not claimed returned recently and no return postage from the USA was charged. But my postie likes me.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Its just a waiting game now after the 3 emails I sent him I have contacted Ebay and they documented notes of what has happened so far and was given the buyers telephone number which I don't do that asking other peoples telephone number but when it comes down to this type of dealings you have do all the necessary steps and that I will be calling him up and recording the conversation if they answer the phone.

I am even not make the call and play stupid if the item is and when returned to me and I would wait it out and see if the buyer files non received item.  If he does file for non received after the 10 days pass where he still has now 8 days to go to the post office and pick up the hockey card for $2000.00 item.

All my listings have a no refund so may give refund if forced by ebay

May now even consider having a 30 percent restocking as some sellers do in order to avoid these kind of buyers

I would think that a buyer purchasing high end items would be respectable member in the community but I guess im wrong on the idea.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You will likely have to refund the purchase money. I suppose there could be circumstances where you may not have to - death or whatever.

Wait until you get the package back. Then telephone eBay and ask them to apply your seller protection. Request the costs involved both sending and receiving the package back.

I have done this successfully twice.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You need to call the guy right away.

What if he was out of town for the past week?  Notices going to his house may be unknown to him.

What if your emails are being directed to his spam folder?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone for all your input

Well new month and new month brings good news finally item was pick up and so far all good I will see if buyer leave feedback for the listing or not,  Feedback is not a major concern for me if buyers leave feedback or not as long as they are happy with the received items. as over the years since I singed up should be over 1500 feedbacks but seems most don't bother with the feedback system seems it has become a pointless system 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply