Is Registered Mail good enough?

I've recently been attempting to sell some loose Pokemon Nintendo DS games (within Canada) and they are so small that they fit really well in a bubble mailer. I had planned to ship lettermail, but was wondering if I'll receive my payment quickly without tracking with Ebay's new direct deposit plan. I've only ever shipped Tracked Packet and received payment upon delivery, and am worried about relying on the buyer to confirm delivery. Does Canada Post's Registered mail act as sufficient "tracking" to clear payment with delivery confirmation? Is it enough to cover me if my buyer decides to claim it wasn't delivered and scam me?
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is Registered Mail good enough?

As far as I know Registered Lettermail should satisfy the ebay MBG delivery confirmation requirement. Mind you I've never tested that service against an item not received case. When I do feel tracking is required for a document I always just use expedited as there's usually not much difference in cost. Registered is an antiquated idea, I don't think it is tracked outside of Canada either, so there's that to consider.

Edited to add that untracked Lettermail moves just as fast as registered would. Tracked or untracked should make no difference as to how soon you receive your sale proceeds. Are you in MP? I'm still on Paypal.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Is Registered Mail good enough?

First- Don't use Registered Mail.

It only tracks to the border, not outside Canada.

It is slower than more recent services like Expedited Mail and ExpressPost.

Some joke that the translation of Registered*** Mail  is "steal me" , since it is more likely to contain valuables than regular mail.

Use Expedited or Tracked USA instead. Faster Cheaper and more reliable.

Second- Tracking.

Tracking is a Seller Protection against false claims of non-delivery. And it's Delivery not shipping.

Using a Tracked service like Expedited will cost you at least $12 domestically and $14.42 to the USA for a 100gr packet. How much do your DVDs weigh?

This may be worth bookmarking.

https://www.canadapost.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Play with sizes, weights and destinations to see current rates.

Basically, letterpost with no tracking is going to be fine, if you don't mind losing a few claims because a shipment is late (it's unlikely to be lost and most buyers are honest). 

One sometimes overlooked difference is the demographic of your customer.  If you are dealing with Disney films or rom-coms, the chances of an impatient customer are lower, in my opinion, that if you are selling Fast&Furious #482 or wrestling vids. Basically, if it appeals to the demographic* that is most likely to end up in jail, use tracking.

That includes your superhero figurines.

but was wondering if I'll receive my payment quickly without tracking with Ebay's new direct deposit plan.

Do you mean Managed Payments?

MP is new, and you probably won't be roped into it for at least a few months. Use Paypal in the meantime.  With PP you get your payment immediately (MP seems to take a day or so) and you can transfer it to your bank at your leisure, while MP forces set dates on you.

I've only ever shipped Tracked Packet and received payment upon delivery,

Huh?

Have you been shipping BEFORE you are paid?

Don't do that, dear.

You can list as Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required  with the IPR as an option.

Never ship until you are paid.**

Never. Never. Never.

TL/DR

Letter mail is fast and cheap.

Most people are honest.

It's business not personal.

Buy a scale and a measuring tape.

Never guess about postage.

Buyers hate to pay for shipping. If you really want to kill a sale, have a shipping price higher than the selling price.

*Male. 15-35. high school or less. rural.

** New and occasional sellers always have a Hold on payment, for 21 days or less. Uploading a tracking number reduces the Hold. And you are required to ship as soon as the payment has cleared, although it is still being Held.  You can use the Held funds to buy a shipping label however.

*** Fun fact- When Registered Mail was first introduced in the 18th (!) century, it was called Money Letter. The less obvious term Registered was introduced in the mid-1800s.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply