Is anyone having problems with Canada Post Lettermail delay delivery?

Has anyone else experienced delays when using Canada Post Lettermail? Usually it takes 1-1.5 weeks to reach anywhere in Canada. I have had multiple complaints about late delivery now selling items shipping via CPL and things I have ordered via CPL are taking 2.5-3 weeks via the service. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

mcrlmn
Community Member

Nope, 2-5 business days max within Canada.

Even the U.S. deliveries have been on the early side of eBay's estimates.

I'm happy.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

No major delays noted. Occasional couple day delay if package goes to area with forest fire or some sort of flooding emergency. Those things happen. Nothing Canada Post can do in those situations.

-CM

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@mbjtrading wrote:

Has anyone else experienced delays when using Canada Post Lettermail? Usually it takes 1-1.5 weeks to reach anywhere in Canada. I have had multiple complaints about late delivery now selling items shipping via CPL and things I have ordered via CPL are taking 2.5-3 weeks via the service. 

I've had no problems. Might be an issue at your local end.

Reporting problems:  https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=report_a_problem_or_

Service alerts: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/list.page?cattype=announcements&cat=servicealer...

-..-

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

My inbound untracked letter-class parcels from even the USA are almost all MIA while my outbound tracked lettermail-sized parcel/packets both domestic and international are being delivered ahead of time, on time, or even way ahead of time. 

Good news for me as a seller, terrible news for me as a buyer. 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mbjtrading wrote:

I've had no problems. Might be an issue at your local end.

Reporting problems:  https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=report_a_problem_or_

Service alerts: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/list.page?cattype=announcements&cat=servicealer...

-..-

This is a good link too; it's one that I bookmarked because I don't think I'd be able to find it again if I didn't. Let's not forget the time multiple ebay sellers with multiple open INR cases simultaneously came to the Community board here and discovered they were using the EXACT SAME red letter box on the street to deposit all their lost packages. I often wonder what came of the investigation by Canada Post and/or the police that followed.....

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=how_to_resolve_undel&cattype=kb&cat=receivi...

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

It may have something to do with your location.

@momcqueenis in the Winnipeg area.  Where are you?

Or it may have something to do with your customer demographic of gamers and SF/F fans, who run to  young, male, and aggressively entitled.

You may want to increase your handling time so you don't get dinged for late deliveries.

In my long experience in mail order, it takes about 20 days for certain delivery anywhere in North America, but usually less.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

My inbound untracked letter-class parcels from even the USA are almost all MIA

Inbound seems to remain a disaster while CP continues to intentionally delay letter-class parcels, especially registered. Averaging 2+ months per here. A bit of a problem especially with UK International Signed and International Tracked and Signed given both going via registered and UK sellers/retailers preferring both given one is the cheapest and think the other is the most secure.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

But Registered is now being treated by the UPU signatories as a 'domestic only' service.

Untracked outside of the country of origin.

EBay and Paypal have not recognized Registered as 'electronically visible' for some years now.

Your UK colleagues are fooling themselves.

The newer tracked services, the ones that have their own envelopes as a rough guide to which ones, have taken the place of the older service.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But Registered is now being treated by the UPU signatories as a 'domestic only' service.

Untracked outside of the country of origin.

EBay and Paypal have not recognized Registered as 'electronically visible' for some years now.

Your UK colleagues are fooling themselves.

The newer tracked services, the ones that have their own envelopes as a rough guide to which ones, have taken the place of the older service.

For the UK:

International signed = Registered (not tracked)

International tracked = Post Expres (tracked)

International tracked and signed = Registered (not tracked)

Registered is still tracked in many countries and still used by many International post offices/countries as their non-express tracked option. Canada, the US, and Australia have been pushing for everyone else to switch over to Post Expres and pay higher terminal dues. Some countries are just not willing to stump up the higher terminal dues. 

The UK services are a source of confusion for many sellers/retailers in the UK as they are unaware of the differences between the three services and what Post Expres actually is and why choosing a less expensive service is the better option. Many are still of the mind that a signature affords them protection, when it is unnecessary unless the value of the item dictates it is required by whatever payment processor one uses. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

And to be pedantic-- neither eBay nor PP actually cares much about tracking.

They want Confirmation of Delivery (and Signature over a certain value).

Further, the service only benefits the seller as proof of delivery in the rare case of an INR dispute.

Since we are in Canada, UK 'registered' service is a waste of money for our overseas sellers.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I am finding it takes 2 weeks to get from Vancouver to Quebec or the Maritimes.  Hell it takes a week to get from Vancouver to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.   

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Anything to BC is always slow from NB. I wish I could list as no BC shipping as it’s really annoying sometimes.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

"2 weeks to get from Vancouver to Quebec or the Maritimes.

Hell it takes a week to get from Vancouver to Nanaimo"

From Ladner or Richmond B.C.  to anywhere on Vancouver Island, my lettermail is delivered in 1-2 days. Actually, I've never had any delivery within B.C. take longer than 2 days. I've even had next day delivery.

My recent delivery to New Brunswick took 5 business days.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

That hasn't been my experience.  2 weeks across Canada and 1 week within BC with oversized lettermail.  You have been lucky.  

Does the PO treat regular letter mail and oversize letter mail differently?  

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

hi i am having the same problem here in London Ontario. I have had to issue multiple refunds because of this problem. my latest was a item i sold dec 14 was sent to Quebec and the buyer has not received it.  Buyer has put in a claim and i am going to be forced to pay another refund. This is killing me. Its bad enough that i have had to lower my prices just to compete but with all the fees we pay out and now these refunds its hurting my business. We get no help from ebay. There answer for us is to refund the buyer. Then we get penalized by ebay every time this happens. Then they put holds on are funds. This is forcing me to start putting tracking on items i list but then buyers 80% of the time refuse to buy because shipping is to expensive. So i do not know what to do at this point. Is there a cheaper company to use to ship here in Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2018...

Sometimes it's just best to start your own thread that can address the problems/issues with current up to date info.

This is January 2021 and throughout 2020 there have been delays due to Covid, the massive increase in online purchases that have overburdened postal systems plus all the holiday mail.

Canada Post, Fedex, UPS,etc have all experienced slowdowns, delays, backlogs.

If you are near a ChitChats Express outlet, you may want to check that out...

Aside of advising your buyers of delays, increasing the handling time, or cease listing on eBay for the time being, there is little else any of us can do until things go back to some sort of "normality"....

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2018

@auscatu0 wrote:

hi i am having the same problem here in London Ontario. I have had to issue multiple refunds because of this problem. my latest was a item i sold dec 14 was sent to Quebec and the buyer has not received it.  Buyer has put in a claim and i am going to be forced to pay another refund.

You are selling in a higher fraud category. So they may or may not have received it.

If using oversize lettermail for Canada use the generic Economy Shipping to give a longer delivery time range.

ebay domestic econo.png

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

ZOMBIE.... oh, others have noticed...

. Buyer has put in a claim and i am going to be forced to pay another refund.

Are you shipping with tracking?

Letterpost is not trackable*, but most parcel services are. Give the customer the tracking number and the current location.

Even if you are not using tracking, ask the customer to open a Dispute, "to keep the records straight".

If he does, and you cannot prove Delivery, refund promptly.

If he does not, ignore his demands. That's a pretty good indication that he is trying a scam.

If he cannot, it is because the last estimated date for delivery has not yet passed. He is being impatient, so work your soothing skills to move him from "irate" to "warm fuzzies".

Now let's chat about Cookie Jar Insurance.

This just means adding a small amount, usually less than a dime to every asking price to make a sort of self-insurance premium. Those virtual dimes go in a virtual Cookie Jar to cover the occasional cost of a Dispute.

There are a few ways to reduce the chances of losing a Dispute in this thread. Since you are in a high fraud category (on both sides of transactions), it would be a good idea to consider them and possibly change some of your business practices.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

BTW- on your low value cover art and empty box items, which you can ship LetterPost, consider including the shipping in the asking price.

This is called "Free Shipping" and buyers love it.

That little tweak may be enough to stop the bloodletting.

There is a thing called "aspirational marketing" which basically comes down to the observation that the higher the price, the more the item is valued.

This is why brand name products (like Green Giant canned corn) sell better than generic (NoName or even President's Choice canned corn) although they are nutritionally identical and the generics are cheaper.

Instead of your Oddworld: Final Fantasy selling for $6 + $4 shipping, Free Shipping pricing would be $10 with Free Shipping. Same actual cost, but more attractive.

Aspirational pricing would be $14.99 with Free Shipping.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply