Is there a minimum size for Canada Post package shipping labels to be?

I searched their website and can't find an answer. 

I have a brother ql-600 the largest size label it can print is 62mm (2.44") wide. the guy at staples said it would be big enough for labels for packages but it seems really small when I print them.  O think it is only big enough for address labels for letters. 

Is that big enough for package labels or do I need a new printer?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That sounds fine for an address label put on the package -- but if buying a shipping label online (through paypal/shippo/canadapost) that would be too small.

My latest tracked packet label with no margins is 4 inches wide (printed on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper).  The address portion of this shipping label was under 2 inches wides -- so if just using your printer for addresses you should be okay.

I did find a mention on the CP website that seems to want 10.2 cm x 15.2 cm (4 inches x 6 inches) if using a paid shipping label (no mention for the address label size).

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I don't know if there is a minimum, but I can say that I've shipped using the cut out address from the PAYPAL payment emails. (I cut it out of the email and use packing tape to tape it to the envelope/box - I started doing this to avoid all the transposition etc errors I was making writing them out by hand)

I measured one and it is 1"x1" and has the full USA address.

I've been doing this since there was a PAYPAL so I think a 2.44" wide address label is fine!

(and I use the same thing on the boxes, right up to Bankers boxes that I ship, keeping in mind that everything boxes sized anymore is tracked using the bar code labels that get attached, so the actual address is really only used at the beginning and end of the journey so as long as someone can read it you should be fine)

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That sounds fine for an address label put on the package -- but if buying a shipping label online (through paypal/shippo/canadapost) that would be too small.

My latest tracked packet label with no margins is 4 inches wide (printed on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper).  The address portion of this shipping label was under 2 inches wides -- so if just using your printer for addresses you should be okay.

I did find a mention on the CP website that seems to want 10.2 cm x 15.2 cm (4 inches x 6 inches) if using a paid shipping label (no mention for the address label size).

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Can the label be read easily?

Is it obvious that it is the address label (and not the shipper's address)?

Is there a barcode provided with the shipping service.

Remember that from the PO counter to the carrier's pickup bin, all that will be looked at is the barcode-- and that by machinery.

• All Hail Our Robot Overlords!

The carrier should be able to read the label easily. If one inch by one inch is readable that's fine.

BTW - Having a printed label is good. The printing is often clearer than handwriting, even hand printing.

But there is no harm in putting the recipient's address on the parcel elsewhere by hand and larger, if only to make the carrier's job easier.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply