Item Damaged During shipping by Fedex - How to Claim

I sent an item with a Fedex label purchased via eBay and it arrived damaged - one of the figurines on a set of decorative bookends was snapped at the waist, in spite of my efforts to pack it properly. 

I've assured the buyer they will be made whole, and offered the option of a return or partial refund. Additionally I've asked them to take some pictures of the packaging etc to demonstrate it was packed properly. How to do I go about filing a claim with the carrier? Is eBay entirely uninvolved (ie this is between me and FedEx) or are their seller tools to assist me? Obviously I'm upset; beyond the possibility of being out the $450 the item was worth, I take pride in shipping items quickly and safely. 

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

marnotom!
Community Member

I found this page on the FedEx website and, yes, it should be connected to FedEx's Canadian operations:

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/contact-us/claims.html

That's about the only help I can be on this, unfortunately.  And you're correct that eBay would be "hands off" in a situation like this unless the buyer files a case through its Money Back Guarantee scheme.  Even then, eBay would not get involved in the insurance claim itself, just the refund process.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

For the record, although a Seller has a NO RETURNS policy, they are still allowed to demand the return of the disputed item before refunding.

The Seller will probably be paying return shipping, but it is allowed.

Doesn't apply in this case, but you should know, since you have a No Returns policy, and those seem to encourage Not As Described disputes which really should be Buyer Remorse.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply