Item Not Received Claim on 4 month old Transaction?!

I sent an untracked package in early November. Today I received an eBay refund request for an item not received. I thought the buyer only had 90 days to file this? Or is it 90 days past the latest delivery date?

I can't believe they waited that long!!!
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

ebay money back guarantee cover 30-days past the estimated delivery date. Tho buyers still can open cases after that. My guess is that ebay leaves the possibility to sellers to take the decision to still refund after it's covered by the ebay policy. Obviously you're not forced to refund and nothing will happen if you don't

Hapened to me once and customer service told me to 'ask ebay to step in' when the option pops after a few days. Another person told me that letting the case expires will close in seller favor automatically

In my case i personally told the buyer he was not covered anymore and that ebay would close the case in my favor without refund. He closed the case by himself

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hmmm, interesting- because ebay is holding funds and is giving me 3 days to refund. Will I get a defect if they need to step in?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Customer support told me the case would be closed in seller favor either by letting it expire or asking ebay to step in. Would not have any sense they refund buyer or that you receive a defect. As said the claim is not covered by ebay policies. If you're not confident contact ebay support by chat, it takes 5 minutes

This is strange they hold the funds tho. Logically they should not

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@teenytrinkets wrote:

I sent an untracked package in early November. Today I received an eBay refund request for an item not received. I thought the buyer only had 90 days to file this? Or is it 90 days past the latest delivery date?

As noted by others, the Money Back Guarantee is good for up to 30 days after the last estimated delivery date.  Buyers can still make refund requests after that time, but they won't be covered by the Money Back Guarantee.

However, PayPal allows buyers up to 180 days after payment to open cases, and credit card issuers are believed to offer a similar time period in most cases.  Credit card issuers sometimes encourage buyers to try working things out with the merchant before filing a chargeback, so this may be your buyer's attempt to "work things out."  While I'd say it's unlikely to happen, don't be surprised if this buyer makes a return engagement.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member