Ebay INR at Day 64???

I sold something sent via lettermail on October 6th - sent same day. Buyer opened an Ebay request today, Dec 10th for item not received. (Not a payment dispute).

I thought ebay had a 30 day limit for cases? Is this simply a PayPal case that just appears as an eBay claim? If so, how is this different from the ebay INR (or are they one and the same)?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Ebay INR at Day 64???

I might be wrong but I believe the buyer has until 30 days after the last expected delivery date. So if the last expected delivery date was 35 days after payment, the buyer has until 65 days after payment to open an INR.

I have had some long waiting folks generally overseas with long afterward INRs, which I appreciate them being patient enough to wait out the long duration before opening the INR.

You'll need to make sure to deal with it before the date on the message you got, ie if it says the 15th, make sure you refund on the 14th, otherwise they'll automagically close it with a defect assigned at 12:01 on the 15th, I learned this the hard way.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ebay INR at Day 64???

With Managed Payments, PP disputes are treated as a payment dispute, just like a credit card dispute so this sounds like a claim opened through eBay.

When was the estimated delivery date? The buyer is covered for an item not received claim for 30 days after the eta. If it has been more than 30 days the buyer can still open a claim but they are not supposed to have the option of having eBay making a decision.  It should work the same even if there is no tracking although  I don't have first hand experience with that.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Ebay INR at Day 64???

@pjcdn2005 yes you provoked a memory, I do recall an international buyer that waited beyond the automagic defect timeframe. They had asked within it via a question and not a case and they were quite patient and waited much beyond the 30 day limit which I appreciated before opening the case (as I told them to do when they thought it was reasonable to do so). I also believe that a scammer* isn't going to wait wayyy past the deadline to create an INR that they could lose so I of course still honoured the refund as I would have done if they were less patient.

*in this situation it might be better to think of this as an extra honest person as opposed to a scammer, although I have had folks that have gotten confused about who's stuff they have/n't received after much time has gone by so it might just be a confused person too.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ebay INR at Day 64???

I agree. I think that scammer would open an inr the minute that they could, not wait an extra month.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ebay INR at Day 64???

Whether this is an eBay claim or a PP claim or a credit card chargeback, without tracking or Proof of Delivery, the seller will be required to refund.

And PP /cc claims are timed from payment, usually allowing 180 days from payment.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Ebay INR at Day 64???

Buyers can open INR past the deadline, but if it's past the deadline the seller is not required to refund.  The seller can refund if they choose but if they choose not to the case will eventually close with no penalty to the seller.  

Alternatively it could be a PP or credit card claim as mentioned by other above.  So read the case details carefully and see what's going on.

I agree that a scammer would not wait this long.  BUT it could be someone who is feeling broke all of a sudden and trying to get money anyway they can.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply