Spendable funds - new to Managed Payments

Probably on in the US for now, but something sellers have been demanding.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/spendable-funds?id=5305

There's a lot there, including more identification, but a response to a percieved need.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

byto253
Community Member

It may be ok for Canadians receiving US funds but when I looked at the verification steps my gut reaction is to stay away and not potentially mess up the perfectly functioning MP set up I have.   I will let this one play out for a while and wait for specific Canadian seller instructions or guidance.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

There's a lot there, including more identification, but a response to a percieved need.

Unfortunately another feature that has been available in the USA for a short time. Coming to Canada....Eventually. Believe that came up in a Q & A with Tyler.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

It may be ok for Canadians receiving US funds but when I looked at the verification steps my gut reaction is to stay away and not potentially mess up the perfectly functioning MP set up I have.   I will let this one play out for a while and wait for specific Canadian seller instructions or guidance.

1 interesting takeaway looks like 2 step verification is required to use this service. That would mean APP only.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

eBay two step verification is not APP only. Either using APP or via text messages sent to your mobile phone.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/account/protecting-account/tips-keeping-ebay-account-secure?id=4872#section...

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

My concern was 2 step does not work for pc users. I and many others do not own cell phones for various reasons. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

My concern was 2 step does not work for pc users. I and many others do not own cell phones for various reasons. 

But that is not what you said originally, you said APP only.  The APP is not an option for me, while text messages are doable.

And yes, cell phones are an issue for a number of sellers. Last stat I saw was that 1 in 10 Canadian households do not have a cell phone (with cost and location being the main reasons not to have).

Side note: When amazon rolled out mandatory 2 step for their sellers five years ago (back when mobile useage was around 80%), AZ had to stop the rollout and add the option of using land lines for the 2 step verification (a phone call with spoken number code). Too often the planners/designers of new "features" and "improvements" assume everyone is using the latest tech.

-;-

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

They could try to fix the glitches they already have before taking on any new endeavour. Sold an item last week and still waiting for them to take shipping fees off the top. I use ebay labels. Meanwhile money was forwarded to my bank. Now will eventually come out of next sale. This is a constant. How are we supposed to keep track of anything.  Now we will be able to keep our funds in to spend. Lost that appetite a while back when they switched things and no longer had any US dollars to shop there. How will that work out. Go back to selling in US dollars?? And pay the extra fee added on as currency exchange at 3%+.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Again, we shouldn't need workarounds, but we can move our bank transfers from the default every Tuesday to daily, biweekly, or monthly.

@luv4orphans 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Again, we shouldn't need workarounds, but we can move our bank transfers from the default every Tuesday to daily, biweekly, or monthly.

@luv4orphans 

@reallynicestamps 

@luv4orphans 

As far as I know it is no longer in writing anywhere but originally fees were supposed to be pulled from the transaction. This may have been what has happened for US sellers but has been inconsistent at best from a Canadian perspective from the get go.

I've had a buyer cancel a transaction because of an address issue 1 hour after completing payment and then had eBay pull those funds from my bank account immediately...even "according to eBay" were pending. Same has happened for promoted fees. For a cancel in that time frame it should be a reversal. Related side fees should be attached to the pending amount. Because sellers in Canada are unable to hold funds in there balance except by playing with release date (even that is not 100% guaranteed) many sellers have to be in constant fear of ending up being in overdraft because a customer cancelled or those magic fees. MP payments is a float the works well for eBay but not always so well for the seller selling the stuff.

-Lotz

PS. Sidenote when eBay MP was first released, as it related to postage, it was stated that charges would be removed from pending. That  never seemed to be "consistently" happening. I've heard/read about many sellers that use Fedex having it take up to 7 days to see billing for a transaction. Problem being the funds were there when the transaction processed originally. For me, using Shippo, at least I know where funds will be pulled from and I receive an actual invoice for those charges.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

nope not everything with Managed Payments works as we want it too...I moved my payouts to monthty as not enough sales to warrant a more frequent payout and that almost always takes care of any lapses in money movement...and No Way am I going back to listing on dotCOM for the benefit of the fluctuating Canadian dollar(which I must admit I did like when our dollar was at a low point) but not like the conversion fees applied...I will not give eBay any more fees than is necessary and that one is not a necessity...

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I've heard/read about many sellers that use Fedex having it take up to 7 days to see billing for a transaction.

Well--- FedEx.

I'd blame them first. They are sneaky. They often will hand over the shipment and then bill later for the import fees, including a hefty ($25?) customs brokerage fee.

the fluctuating Canadian dollar(which I must admit I did like when our dollar was at a low point)

The loonie is at 73c USD today.

I can remember it being about 68c at the turn of the millennium. Made money on the spread- buying in loonies and selling in USD.

There was no dotCA then of course, so everything was in USD.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

FedEx don't even create a bill for a shipment until after it has been received and the weight/dimensions (and any possible surcharge) are checked. Then they have to bill eBay who then has to bill individual sellers.

When it comes to bills I prefer they take as long as possible to land on my desk.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

When it comes to bills I prefer they take as long as possible to land on my desk.

That's valid, because you get and send shipments daily and have for years.

The problem with FedEx is that the customer who is unclear on details like "no you can't import goods without duty and sales tax" / "no you do have to pay sales tax for online purchases"/ and the all time favourite "yes there are sales taxes on used goods"   receives the shipment and then is billed days or weeks later and is furious with the seller and with eBay.

It's a corollary of the rule "Buyers don't read.".

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

A lot of 2 step has an email option for the 2nd step as well as SMS.  My bank does at least.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@femmefan1946 

As per the top brass Spendable Funds for Canadian sellers is something in the eventual future. For anyone considering "signing up" please do so with caution. Here are the detailed specifics from 1 recent post and a US seller.

Hey             xxxxxxx                our payments team has reached out to clarify some of these points. 

1. It automatically resets your payout to on-demand, which eBay tells you it will do.
Yes, when sellers enroll in spendable funds their payouts will be available on demand, but there is always the option to schedule payouts when it’s convenient for you…daily, weekly, biweekly or monthly.  You can manage your payout schedule in the Payments section of Seller Hub or My eBay.
2. It automatically resets your shipping payment to PayPal or credit card and not available funds.
You will be able to use your spendable funds balance to pay for  shipping labels.
3. You no longer have available funds for payment of fees.
Most fees are deducted from the proceeds of a  sale before funds become available to spend or withdraw.
4. You must now pay all selling fees with a credit or debit card and cannot use available funds.
Most fees are deducted from the proceeds of a sale before funds become available to spend.  Your credit or debit card will not be charged unless there are not enough spendable funds to cover the fees due.
5. There is no way to disenroll from the program, so once you go, you are locked into it.
This is correct
6. You cannot manage spendable funds; they can only be used for purchases or payouts.
In addition to being able use your spendable funds to make purchases on eBay before funds are available for payout, they can also be used to cover selling costs such as shipping labels and other selling expenses.  eBay also provides flexible payout options, including on demand or on your preferred schedule.

Disclaimer: I do realize the program when/if it is released in Canada may not mirror the US version exactly. From recent experience what Canada gets is often watered down. Posted just for ones memory bank to consider before clicking that enroll button. With several recent programs once you enroll, there is no turning back. eBay's version to negative option billing.

-Lotz

Full discussion and included comments below:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Beware-of-Spendable-Funds/m-p/33407196#M2127151

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I can remember it being about 68c at the turn of the millennium. Made money on the spread- buying in loonies and selling in USD.

There was no dotCA then of course, so everything was in USD.

AND you could get a paypal debit mastercard... which worked flawlessly at US banks to withdraw USD in cash 🙂    

Message 17 of 17
latest reply