Items need to be shipped today, Nov 11? There isn't even any collection/delivery of mail today...

Is this just an error on eBay's part? Today (Remembrance Day) shouldn't count as a business day considering there is no collection or delivery of mail. My local post office isn't even open so I couldn't drop parcels off even if I wanted to.

Thankfully the only things I have scheduled to go out today can go as Lettermail, so I can mark them as shipped today and then just mail them tomorrow, but really today shouldn't have counted as a business day. I could see some sellers logging onto their accounts tomorrow and being surprised with late shipping defects...

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Items need to be shipped today, Nov 11? There isn't even any collection/delivery of mail today...

It's a holiday that only applies to federally regulated businesses.

My local Shopper's postal outlet is open, no pickup, but the mail is being accepted.

The impact is more on the delivery end point, if you have a sale that has November 11 as the last estimated delivery day.

-;-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

It's a holiday that only applies to federally regulated businesses.

My local Shopper's postal outlet is open, no pickup, but the mail is being accepted.

Canada Post is a federally regulated business. There is no delivery or collection of mail today. Mail is not moving. I live in a rural community, and therefore the corporate post office is closed - I couldn't even get my parcels accepted for an induction scan if I wanted to. Yes, authorized dealers are open as it's a stipulation of their contract, but no mail is moving or arriving at those locations today.

This shouldn't be counted as a shipping day on eBay Canada.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yes, it shouldn't be counted as a shipping day.

But it is (usually? often?) possible to get the acceptance scan by going to an Outlet instead of a Post Office.

tyler@ebay   - Something to pass on to whoever sets the calendar, because Remembrance Day has happened every year since 1919 and probably will continue.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It is a problem if you don’t live in a big city. I too live in a rural area, there is a Shoppers about 25 mins drive away but they have no post office at that location. I guess because it’s right across the street from a Canada Post. Luckily, I have until tomorrow to mail my pkg. I would have run out yesterday but order came in after 4:00 and post office closes at 4:15.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

They goofed up as it doesn't usually count as a business day when Canada Post is closed. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

on top of CPC being closed, most Chit Chats locations were closed on Nov 11 as well.

this is a very valid concern even if you live in a "big city".  The OP makes a good point

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

All of my parcels are delivered to ...  Canada Post...  and ... Canada Post... then delivers the parcels to the buyers.

I visit the Canada Post website to determine if Canada Post will be open  or closed on a specific holiday.  Then I check to see if the Shoppers Drug Mart location I use will be open. or closed...

Because there was one day recently that both Canada Post  and the postal site at my Shoppers Drug Mart location were not open., and accepting parcels

I am also totally focused on Canada Post tracking on the Canada post  website.

My two most important words are... Canada Post....  Because if something goes wrong I am responsible  for anything or keeping track of anything that could happen when  my parcels are travelling to my buyers....

I always keep track of holiday times  for both Canada Post and my local Canada Post Franchise location.

Then  I also only  view tracking on the Canada Post website.  It is a Canada Post tracking number that I view on the Canada Post website

As a seller I ...must ... be totally aware of anything that relates to the transit of parcels to my buyers.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Print the shipping label now, ship one day later. You will get a defect ONLY if the item arrives late. Seriously, one day less or more ..... what a difference? Some of my items were held for no reason in Philadelphia USPS facility for 2 weeks. Some items just "disappeared" and were "in transit" indefinitely, yet the item arrived on time.  Once, I got a defect, but since the tracking did show I shipped the same day, the defect has been removed.  So yes, ship the item as soon as you can, but do not exaggerate, either .... 😉 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Printing the label doesnt affect anything. If the first scan from the post office shows that the package was scanned within your handling time then it doesn't matter if the package arrives late...the package would still be considered as 'shipped on time'. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Printing the label doesnt affect anything. If the first scan from the post office shows that the package was scanned within your handling time then it doesn't matter if the package arrives late...the package would still be considered as 'shipped on time'. 

Exactly. I never wrote the printing a shipping label changes anything. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

However, if an item was shipped with a one day delay, and arrives on time, you will not get a defect for the late shipment. Most of my items are shipped "late", because I need to do 30 km to the post office - so I am doing it twice, sometimes three times a week. Still, 99% of my items arrive about 7-10 days BEFORE the estimated delivery date (lucky people who live next to a post office. It's not my case). BTW, for example Asendia sometimes scans items 2 WEEKS AFTER items are delivered to their shipment facility. It's because of that I don't use that service any more (and I think it's also scrapped by ChitChats, too ). 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yes, it shouldn't be counted as a shipping day.

But it is (usually? often?) possible to get the acceptance scan by going to an Outlet instead of a Post Office.

tyler@ebay   - Something to pass on to whoever sets the calendar, because Remembrance Day has happened every year since 1919 and probably will continue.

Thanks for this @reallynicestamps - I feel like this is a struggle every year and I'm not really sure why. Let me get back to the shipping team and see if something was afoot or not.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 13
latest reply