Just a Rant! Unbelievable Buyer

Sold a $4.00 US item.  As per my listing sent by letter mail.  Today buyer asks for Tracking Number.  I explain that do to cost I don't use tracking.  This item was mailed March 7th and tonight she opens a case wanting to return it even though she hasn't even received it yet.  eBay send message that she has until March 22nd to return and has to supply a tracking number.  So what happens if she doesn't return it with tracking?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you sent without tracking (a very sensible move on your part) you cannot prove delivery and if she opens an Not Received Dispute you will lose and have to refund her four bucks (plus shipping and PP keeps the 30c non-refundable fee).

If she returns without tracking she cannot prove delivery and you would not be required to refund. Although ethically, of course, you have it back and can resell it, sooooooo....

Did she open a Not Received Dispute and were you told to send return shipping?

You can instead refund without the extra expense and time wasting of setting up the return.

As for the buyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NYFq7ZJg4c

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

• She didn't open an Item not Received Case (only been a few days since shipped) but a Request to Return (before even received).  The whole thing makes no sense to me,  upset because there is no tracking number for a $4.00 item.  I'm sure to return with tracking will cost her more than the original price.   Can she also open an Item not Received case in the future?  I can just see the Feedback!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

is it really worth the effort, and/or stress over a $4.00 item? Let this run its course, and if a return and/or INR case is opened & all results in having to refund, so be it... BLOCK the buyer from any future dealings, but DON'T sweat the small stuff!

I understand this whole thing about sending via lettermail...about 85% of my items are sent that way...there is always that risk, but lettermail  is the only economical way to ship some items...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Tell her to return it when it arrives and you will refund when you get it back.

You can't prove arrival, and she won't be able to prove return delivery, so both of you are working on trust.

(Which she blew with her erratic behaviour, but...)

At BC minimum wage the $4 item was worth 17 minutes of your time.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I can understand Americans asking for tracking- that's reasonable considering they can ship for $3-$4. But I've had Canadians ask for tracking for $10 items. Really??? I've had to apologize and tell them it's not tracked... that tracking costs $18+ to their location.

I'm baffled that in 2021, regular Canadian buyers on ebay don't know this... sigh...
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Bit of a tangent to the thread but wondering if folks indicate in their listings that shipping is not tracked.  I would like to so that it is up front but have some concern about attracting scammers who see untracked as an opportunity.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Waste of time.  The majority of buyers don't read the descriptions in the first place.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply