Keep hunting folks - Superman First Debut Comic cracks $3 million on Ebay

Item #311050328393 - $3.2m US.  

Interesting to know the seller's story behind getting this comic, news articles say it was stored in a cedar chest in an attic for years, which preserved it and kept the pages white.  The kind of find the hunters out there dream of.    ... and I got a kick out of Tiki mug that sold for $70!

Congrats to the folks involved.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

They interviewed the guy selling it on last week's eBay Radio. The original owner was the one that found it in the cedar chest in remarkable condition. The fellow currently selling it is a dealer, I think he said he paid six figures for it a while back. Mighty fine return on investment any way, assuming the winning bidder follows through with the auction.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, then a good deal for everyone. The original owner/finder got a good windfall and dealer put out a lot of cash in one shot then sat on it for a while with a lot of cash tied up.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't have six figures. I barely have five. Dealer quite probably had to mortgage everything they owned to raise the cash. That is a heck of a risk.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

In the mid 80's I worked with a guy who used to do the Dump Run in Cottage Country North of here One day on his run he was approached by a Cottager who asked him if he could hire him to assist renovating the interior of his Late 1930's Cottage Wanted the walls torn out and redone This guy agreed and the next day started tearing the walls out in the living room. Pulled a few panels down and some old newspapers and magazines fell out from behind the wall Looking through the paper he spotted a Comic in Terrible condition Water stained moldy musty torn creased pages pages chewn by mice etc many would have just tossed it but he knew the Comic It was Actions Comic #1 he showed the owner and the man told him he could have it if he wanted took it and had it appraissed while in very poor shape it was an original and was appraised at $3,500 he sold it shortly after and shared the selling price with the man who owned the cottage while it was in really poor condition he still fell into a unique category of people he has bragging rights to say he actually owned an original Intro Of Superman Comic not many can say that
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Treasures are out there. Just havent been found, yet.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply