Limitations of delivery area for "Expedited Lite"?

Sold a video game that I had intended to send via Expedited Lite.

When I went to print the shipping label Expedited Lite was an option, but the cost was only like 20 cents less than Expedited Parcel (and in excess of $25).

Destination was Baker Lake, Nunavut.

I can only assume that the Expedited Lite service excludes far northern/remote communities - does anyone else have any additional data points to support this?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I don't see anything to indicate that they would. What package dimensions did you have?

I know I accidentally had one of my listings as expedited lite for an item that was overweight, but it simply didn't show a valid shipping service for it (which is why I eventually noticed it).

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Nunavut is one of the most expensive places to ship in Canada. They have to have everything sent there by plane. I don't think Expedited Lite can be used for that area. I know I had to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping awhile back.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

I don't see anything to indicate that they would. What package dimensions did you have?

I know I accidentally had one of my listings as expedited lite for an item that was overweight, but it simply didn't show a valid shipping service for it (which is why I eventually noticed it).

22x18x2 cm. 130 g. It was within the accepted range as I've sent other video games packaged the exact same way via Expedited Lite for the advertised $6-8 price point.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

It would be good to get an official stance on it. I think I had an expedited lite item the other day come in at almost $10, and that wasn't air stage (but was in the middle of nowhere). You should probably just send it registered lettermail. The price probably wouldn't be much different anyway.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

When I went to print the shipping label Expedited Lite was an option, but the cost was only like 20 cents less than Expedited Parcel (and in excess of $25).

I can only assume that the Expedited Lite service excludes far northern/remote communities - does anyone else have any additional data points to support this?

Why don't you just use regular O/S Lettermail?  For a Video Game it's probably only $3.19

Expedited Lite is a non-standard service, doesn't surprise me at all that it would be very expensive to a location like Baker Lake.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@dinomitesales 

devon@ebay 

In recently creating a listing adding expedited lite/expedited I got the following.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1692635441289.png

That high end has to be at the end of any points of long distance. Testing shows this to Baker Lake.

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1692637324342.png

Also of note is that the rate shown is the discounted rate because it is "technically" unpublished. Compared to everything else buyers see which is counter rate...Undiscounted.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Did you send it Lettermail instead?

You would have to use postage stamps or buy a label at the PO counter.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

Nunavut is one of the most expensive places to ship in Canada. They have to have everything sent there by plane. I don't think Expedited Lite can be used for that area. I know I had to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping awhile back.

@2nd-time-around-jewelry 

@dinomitesales 

Unsure but it is possible they are no longer subsidizing shipments to the Territories. I've had shipments in the past...Over 5 years that were comparitive(under 500 grams) to S. Canada shipping for rates. Recently much higher so when it works I just use the prepaid boxes if that will make it cheaper. The only other "issue" for me can be delivery time and if it gets routed to Calgary/Edmonton/Yellowknife... or Calgary/Mtl..................... . Montreal has in the past taken 3 to 4 weeks for items to arrive. Right now with fires everything could potentially be longer. Similar observations for anything going off the beaten track/end of the road.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Why don't you just use regular O/S Lettermail?  For a Video Game it's probably only $3.19

Expedited Lite is a non-standard service, doesn't surprise me at all that it would be very expensive to a location like Baker Lake.

Because it sold for $50 which is typically my threshold for sending things with tracking vs. untracked (if the price is right, that is). If it was only the $6-8 I thought it would be then I would have sent it Expedited Lite, but it definitely wasn't worth it at the $26+ price point.

I could have sent it as a Registered Letter for about $13 or so, but just bit the bullet and sent it untracked Oversize Lettermail. Fingers crossed it goes okay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

@2nd-time-around-jewelry 

@dinomitesales 

Unsure but it is possible they are no longer subsidizing shipments to the Territories. I've had shipments in the past...Over 5 years that were comparitive(under 500 grams) to S. Canada shipping for rates. Recently much higher so when it works I just use the prepaid boxes if that will make it cheaper. The only other "issue" for me can be delivery time and if it gets routed to Calgary/Edmonton/Yellowknife... or Calgary/Mtl..................... . Montreal has in the past taken 3 to 4 weeks for items to arrive. Right now with fires everything could potentially be longer. Similar observations for anything going off the beaten track/end of the road.

-Lotz

I mean, they're definitely still subsidizing the prices. Maybe not as much as they used to, though.

They're definitely losing money every time they send a flat rate box or a stamped envelope to a northern/remote fly-in community, but they're making a couple bucks on that same box shipped locally or evey regionally (between major urban centers). That's how it's always worked - there would be outrage if they started charging actual costs to get mail to these destinations; it's one of the primary reasons shipping costs are so high across Canada.

I'm not surprised to see that there isn't any significant discount with the Expedited Lite service to remote/fly-in locations but I was still hopeful up until I went to print the label lol.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply