Little advice if you please

egzatek
Community Member

Hello,

I plan on pushing our e-bay sales a little more, meaning that I will put in more hours dedicated to our e-bay sales.  As I am not an experienced seller like most of you (most the time I feel like a noob), basically I just let things roll since I started selling, I would have a few questions that I would want your opinions on (some of these are hard to make a definitive opinion or answer).

#1  First off, I see alot of discussions about listing on .ca or .com.  Right now I list all my things on .ca.  Since I offer free shipping to Canada and USA should I be listing on .com instead to have more visibility (.com search issue not including .ca) ?  What would the pros and cons of listing on .com ?

#2 If I list on .com, can I keep my .ca store with .com listings ?

#3  As a manufacturer of parts, can we have listings of parts that we do not have necessarly in stock but would have to manufacture and clearly state that manufacturing time is for exemple 2-3 weeks?  Could we do that ?

-#4 If original book, parts diagram or manual are not copyrighted, can you sell copies on E-bay or just the original?

Some of these question have probably been asked a million times, but opinions or answers differ so much not sure what to think.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Have a nice day

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Little advice if you please

#1 -- The most important thing about the dotCA/dotCOM controversy is that on dotCA you can use Calculated Shipping. This is important if you are using anything but LetterMail rates for shipping within Canada.

#2- Wherever you list, if you indicate that you will ship there, your listing will show on that site.

So if you give a shipping cost to the USA, your dotCA listings will show on dotCIM. If you give a shipping cost to the UK, your dotCA listings will show on dotUKdotCO.

And will show in both the local currency and Canadian dollars.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

#1 -- The most important thing about the dotCA/dotCOM controversy is that on dotCA you can use Calculated Shipping. This is important if you are using anything but LetterMail rates for shipping within Canada.

#2- Wherever you list, if you indicate that you will ship there, your listing will show on that site.

So if you give a shipping cost to the USA, your dotCA listings will show on dotCIM. If you give a shipping cost to the UK, your dotCA listings will show on dotUKdotCO.

And will show in both the local currency and Canadian dollars.

I do not use calculate shipping as I ship everything for free in Canada and US.

You say : So if you give a shipping cost to the USA, your dotCA listings will show on dotCOM : But ain't that the problem with searches on .com having to manually be set by the buyer to include other site ?  (at least that's what I read)

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The Canadian and U.S. site are unique in that all listings are seen on both sites as long as the shipping is properly set up.

There is no guarantee that those item listed on .com or .ca will be seen on the UK are other sites.

Visibility on search on .com is supposed to be the same for both .ca and .com listings although I have no way of knowing that for sure. There are many Canadian sellers who list on .ca and they do well with U.S. sales.

The buyer doesn't have to set anything to see listings on both sites. If the buyer specified that they wanted to see listings in the U.S. only...then they wouldn't see your listings regardless of where you had listed them.

Yes.

#3  As a manufacturer of parts, can we have listings of parts that we do not have necessarly in stock but would have to manufacture and clearly state that manufacturing time is for exemple 2-3 weeks?  Could we do that ?

Sellers here do make custom items although I am sure that they do run into some problems when the buyer doesn't realize that their is a lead time. You would have to make sure that your handling time was long enough otherwise the estimated shipping time would be off. You would have to look to see how long of a handling time that you could use on the listings.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@lithoservice wrote:

Hello,

I plan on pushing our e-bay sales a little more, meaning that I will put in more hours dedicated to our e-bay sales.  As I am not an experienced seller like most of you (most the time I feel like a noob), basically I just let things roll since I started selling, I would have a few questions that I would want your opinions on (some of these are hard to make a definitive opinion or answer).

#1  First off, I see alot of discussions about listing on .ca or .com.  Right now I list all my things on .ca.  Since I offer free shipping to Canada and USA should I be listing on .com instead to have more visibility (.com search issue not including .ca) ?  What would the pros and cons of listing on .com ?

-#4 If original book, parts diagram or manual are not copyrighted, can you sell copies on E-bay or just the original?

Some of these question have probably been asked a million times, but opinions or answers differ so much not sure what to think.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Have a nice day

1) As long as shipping is stated widgets will show up. Me? I have never believed in .ca.

2) A store is a store is a store, doesn't matter where.

3) You clearly sell to a specific clientelle. You can do just about anything you want.

4) I don't know.

Looked a few of your listings. Eliminate all of that cloured font. Very hard to read. #14 black is eBay "best practices". 60% of buyers never read anything anyway, so, a list or rules has what value?

Buyers like pictures. First thing everyone does after picking up a widget, they turn it over. More pictures is like putting the part in their hand. When it is in their hand, the chance to close the sale goes away up.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 5
latest reply