Looks like the $20 import fee may be raised to $100.

This was in the news tonight:

The source said Canada had also agreed to increase the “de-minimus” value of goods Canadians can bring into the country – such as through online shopping – from $20 to at least $100. But the person said Canada would still be allowed to charge sales tax – though not duties – on some of that amount.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Looks like the $20 import fee may be raised to $100.

Or it will be followed to the letter at first until they realize how much work it is and then it will become a more lax process. The tax grab/processing fee is important but right now think they are much more concerned about the actual inspection and illegal items sneaking in that set off warning bells than collecting 2.29 in taxes. (Sorry. I'm in Alberta and keep forgetting other provinces have PST/HST). It's going to wait and see for the most part and loads of confusion. Call eBay customer service and ask the same question 5 times. How many different answers will you get?

-CM

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Call eBay customer service and ask the same question 5 times.

I would not expect a minimum wage clerk in Utah, or a well-paid clerk in Manila to understand the ins and outs of Canadian tax and customs policies.

If I run into Chrystina Freeland when I'm in Ottawa over the weekend, I'll ask her to clarify, okay?

Message 23 of 23
latest reply