MEMBER ALERT - Best Offer Scam - eBay has been notified!

Hi ALL

So this is a heads-up!!!!

Before anyone replies to me, PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING...

I knew it was a scam as soon as I saw it, but many people will not.

So this morning I had a "Best Offer" from a member in Singapore, who used the eBay UK site to send me a best offer here in Montreal.

The scam goes like this...

You get an offer, in my case, it was the full asking price (BELL ONE).

And the Buyer includes a message in my case it was this one, but I am sure the theme and grammar will vary

"Hi my friend. I try to pay through PayPal and same with the Bank account it says that the seller does not accept the payment method for now and sends me this article:
https:// offer.ebay.co.uk.check-sales.ga/? =&trksid=p3692IwAR0lB6Y422LMO0000h"

Now, I scanned that link and it took me to a very well done FAKE eBay.co.uk site (front door)

The hope/intent of the scam is that you will "cut & paste" the link thinking it is an eBay site and then you will log in via that link.

Evidently, I made a few calls to eBay this AM and even they were surprised by this one.

SO very simply

DO NOT REPLY TO ANY MESSAGES IN A "BEST OFFER" WITH A LINK TO AN "ARTICLE" or any other site.

So, these people or persons are actually using the eBay platform and different eBay sites in different countries to make "Best Offers" to SELLERS in the hopes that they will follow that link, and hand over their "credentials" because the "buyer" cannot seem to pay?!

In this case, the "Buyer" is in Singapore, using eBay.co.uk to send scam messages/offers to in my case Sellers in Canada, think about that...

I have been told by the eBay rep I spoke to this AM, that a general announcement should be made to warn eBay members about LINKS in Best Offers.

SO here is mine

DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY BEST OFFERS WITH A

"I CANNOT PAY MESSAGE OR ANY LINKS ATTACHED"

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

I forgot to mention I did evidently decline that offer...

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Thank you brettjet38
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Decline the offer and block them.....

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

@brettjet38 

Thanks for the heads up on this. Unfortunately there are other recently reported issues with Best Offers to add to yours.

Sending offers to buyers that note a shipping cost is applicable at the sellers end but buyer sees Shipping is free. They either complain vigorously or not acknowledge your emails/invoice for payment. Best case scenario is they pay with your explanation.

There also have been numerous reports on the dot com board of Intl buyers having problems completing payment to US sellers. Possibly connected to MP payments not being 100 % compatible with International buyers payment options. I know there have been tickets issued but haven't seen any further updates. I've had International(UK & Swedish) buyers unable to complete payments for 1 item. When I cancelled  and relisted with no changes they were able  to pay without issue. Reason? Who knows??  Possibly grandfathered listings with unique settings?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

'There also have been numerous reports on the dot com board of Intl buyers having problems completing payment to US sellers."

It the same scam, but in a different country!

I got two more best offers this morning with the same "Phishing" message enclosed. from the same BUYER, I reported yesterday via 3 calls to eBay.

Buyer's message:

Hi my friend. I try to pay through PayPal and same with the Bank account it says that the seller does not accept the payment method for now and sends me this article: https://offer.ebay.co.uk.check-sales.ga/? =&trksid=p3692IwAR0lB6Y422LMO0000h

THIS IS A SCAM AND THE OFFERS ARE BEING MADE FROM SINGAPORE

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Actually, a better solution is to report the Buyer, then accept the offer (they will not pay anyway) then open an Unpaid Item Dispute, you will get back your fees and if we all did that eBay would react quicker.

Imagine if all these Scam offers are accepted and none of them pay, there must be 10s of thousands of them being sent out, and eBay's own Best Offer system is being hijacked by scammers phishing for credentials...

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Actually, a better solution is to report the Buyer, then accept the offer (they will not pay anyway) then open an Unpaid Item Dispute, you will get back your fees and if we all did that eBay would react quicker.

Thank you for the alert. I will definitely pay attention to that!

On the note of accepting the offer, it might be a good idea if the item was not off the market for 8 days...

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

I've had this exact attempt a few times in the last week or so.
I'm not one to click links... but thought the "uk" link was weird if actually in SG.
First time I thought maybe they were trying to pay with e-check and it failed. Sent message, no response from "buyer". forgot about it.
Second time I realized it was likely a scam.
Message 9 of 53
latest reply

On the note of accepting the offer, it might be a good idea if the item was not off the market for 8 days

Relist it right away, they will not be paying anyway...

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

This is why I am posting here, the more Sellers who get these scams and take action then post about it on this board, the sooner eBay will have to act.

How many people will log into the site using that link...

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I'm not sure how you know for sure that the offers are being made from Singapore.  Keep in mind that Indonesia and Malaysia are pretty close neighbours to Singapore.  I don't know what eBay Singapore's ID verification process is like, but it may be designed to allow registrations from nearby countries, particularly Indonesia as it has no eBay site of its own.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@brettjet38 wrote:

I'm not sure how you know for sure that the offers are being made from Singapore.  Keep in mind that Indonesia and Malaysia are pretty close neighbours to Singapore.  I don't know what eBay Singapore's ID verification process is like, but it may be designed to allow registrations from nearby countries, particularly Indonesia as it has no eBay site of its own.

The buyer states he is in Singapore, and for my "buyer" when i clicked on his user ID it indicated location being Singapore

I also accepted his offer on the item and filed NPB . 

While true they could be anywhere, this is why OP is saying where it's coming from.. 

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

"I'm not sure how you know for sure that the offers are being made from Singapore.  Keep in mind that Indonesia and Malaysia are pretty close neighbours to Singapore.  I don't know what eBay Singapore's ID verification process is like, but it may be designed to allow registrations from nearby countries, particularly Indonesia as it has no eBay site of its own."

BECAUSE It says the Buyer is in Singapore!

What is the point of your 'speculation as to where they are" are you a friend of Singapore!?

Anyway WHO CARES!!!! where they are, IT IS A SCAM 

THAT IS ALL WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT!

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

...finally a brain!

Message 15 of 53
latest reply

Yes, accepting these offers is a good way to tackle them, I am doing the same thing.

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

SG.gif

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

neat.. but this is your sticking point? lol

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

So the Singapore Scam is back again...
on Christmas Day, oh yay, oh yay!!!

This is the latest "Offer" with the "phishing scam" in the message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buyer made you an offer
Respond to this offer from buyer .  Learn more about offers.

Offer amount:
C $19.99
Quantity:
Offer expires in:
1 d 22 h
Buyer's message:
Hi my friend. I try to pay through PayPal and same with the Bank account it says that the seller does not accept the payment method for now and sends me this article: https://offer.ebay.co.uk.sales-retail.ga/? =&trksid=p3692IwAR0lB6Y422LMO0000h
Offers remaining:
Ships to:
242233, Singapore

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So

1 - Accept the offer, it is after all full price (they will never pay)
2- Open an unpaid item and get back the fees

If we all do that with these offers eBay will have to act, because obviously calling them is a waste of time. 
Message 19 of 53
latest reply

Why don’t you use that post code to track down the phisher? 🤪
Message 20 of 53
latest reply