Manage Payments for Canadian sellers registered on .com

My account is registered on the .com site and I made a sale in CAD.

Why is the .ca website unable to process managed payments?

Why can't an account created on the .com site be migrated to the .ca website?

Why was I allowed to make a sale when ebay knew it didn't have the ability to pay me?

Is this ever going to be fixed or should I abandon the account and the money owed to me?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FWIW, I had my Simplii account attached to two eBay accounts.

Both worked fine for a while, then one was abruptly not accepted any more. The other continued just fine.

After several attempts to get the Simplii accout re-accepted, I caved and added a different chequing account.

I would like to go back, now that more than a year has passed to the Simplii account  for reasons, but I don't want to have the hassle.

The Simplii account that was not affected has continued to work just fine.

Again FWIW, once I had the new chequing account attached, my Held payments were promptly transferred.

@djameshalstead  - Check that all your accounts are in exactly the same name. Check that the bank number and transit number are correct.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

marnotom!
Community Member
Why did you register on the US site in 2013 when there was no need for Canadians to do so by that time as eBay.ca was available? Or did you live in the US in 2013?

The .com site expects American banking info for Managed Payments to work, the .ca site expects Canadian banking info for Managed Payments to work.

There’s a small handful of similar threads on this subject with posts from sellers who registered on .com before the .ca site came into being. You may want to read through those. My sense is that this will be fixed eventually but eBay’s IT department has lots of other flaming torches to juggle besides this one. Open a service ticket with customer service and have some patience, grasshopper. 😁
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Why was I allowed to make a sale when ebay knew it didn't have the ability to pay me?

I've been asking this for months now.

It's a very very stupid move.

FWIW, when my MP accounts got messed up, my Held funds were promptly transferred to my checking account when the mess got tidied.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

These may be helpful. The phone clerks are not.

Is this ever going to be fixed or should I abandon the account and the money owed to me?

I'm assuming this Canadian account is your buying account, but it does have some recent feedback.  It would be easiest to start using it as your selling account and save the other one for buying.

Remember that all your account names must match.

If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith ,

a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

Moving any listings from your dotCOM account to your dotCA account takes ages.

When I did it (after dotCA accounts were no longer able to list in USD) I just closed any listings that were ending that day. Then cut and pasted the photos and descriptions into dot CA- I keep copies of both in  desktop file- and rewrote the rest of the listing.  Each took less than five minutes, and I found quite a few errors that had crept in, including duplicated listings and expensive errors in shipping costs.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

When I opened the account in 2013, it was just to make purchases at the time (I had no intention of selling), and I was not aware that there was a Canadian domain or that it would ever matter.

Since I had used the account to sell before without issue, and since I have supplied banking information to American companies to receive payments without issue (both personal and for a previous employer), I did not anticipate there would be an issue.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I will definitely try your messaging suggestion on my next day off work. I don't use Twitter so hopefully Facebook or the website option work. I'll come back and report the result once I do. I have seen solutions posted by other people, I'm more curious as to why this is happening and why it has been happening for so long. I even remember receiving the email about managed payments, checking my banking information and then ignoring it, since everything looked in order!

My most recent listing was made via the mobile app with the region set to Canada and the listing priced in CAD (and the payment owing is listed as CAD), and I have primarily used the Canadian domain for years now. They only thing I apparently did wrong was creating the account itself on the US domain 9 years ago. Which has the same log in information as the Canadian one, so I didn't anticipate this kind of problem. I do wonder, if the sale was made to a Canadian instead of an American if this issue would have arisen but I'm sure it would eventually come up.

I also don't have anything listed right now, I only listed a single item to test the site since I haven't listed anything since 2019, so I guess I anticipated some kind of potential problem, just not one as weird as this! I have things ready to go but it's not urgent, and I'm honestly not too concerned about the feedback, there's only 33 of them.

There is absolutely no descrepancy between my bank account and eBay information, the name and address both match exactly. Unless eBay and the bank are using a different way to encode spaces I don't see any issue there. That's part of why this is so irritating: there is no problem that I can correct myself here, the site simply doesn't function as expected right now.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

There was a method a year ago, but then it seems to have been closed. Almost all of the steady sellers changed over then, I guess.

You didn't do anything wrong and the "all-Canadian" test sale is not the problem.

The problem is that eBay didn't think it might be a good idea to confirm that sellers had a method of transferring payments before they listed.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

After nearly 90 minutes of chatting with support, I've been told the issue has been forwarded to a technical team and to re-attempt connecting the account in 48 hours.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

images.jpg

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

No change. I still can't add a bank account.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

After another 45 minute session with technical support the only solution offered is to open another bank account. Is it worth trying PC Financial or should I go to a physical bank?

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

My understanding is that for whatever reason PC Financial does not fit the definition of a chartered bank. (It has “money accounts” and not “bank accounts”.) You may want to see if you can get any bang for your buck from a credit union before you try shopping for a bank. If a local one doesn’t fit the bill, there’s one that became a federal one a couple of years ago and its presence is largely online outside of British Columbia.
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

The old PC Financial is now Simplii, it works for sure.

The current PC Financial issues credit cards and operates a digital wallet thingy which will not work with eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Why does Simplii work, but Bank of Montreal doesn't?

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

FWIW, I had my Simplii account attached to two eBay accounts.

Both worked fine for a while, then one was abruptly not accepted any more. The other continued just fine.

After several attempts to get the Simplii accout re-accepted, I caved and added a different chequing account.

I would like to go back, now that more than a year has passed to the Simplii account  for reasons, but I don't want to have the hassle.

The Simplii account that was not affected has continued to work just fine.

Again FWIW, once I had the new chequing account attached, my Held payments were promptly transferred.

@djameshalstead  - Check that all your accounts are in exactly the same name. Check that the bank number and transit number are correct.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@djameshalstead wrote:

Why does Simplii work, but Bank of Montreal doesn't?

Who says BMO doesn't work? I don't have any personal experience with them related to eBay but it's not a name I've seen mentioned in any of these "problems with MP" posts over the past few years.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

The person I contacted via eBay support chat said the account from my bank doesn't work for anyone, and suggested to use a different bank. They didn't mention BMO specifically, so it's more likely they simply don't understand the problem.

While it's a basic account, I've sent and received foreign direct payments with it in the past from the USA and Sweden, so it can send and receive international funds. That has never been an issue for the account.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

The account name and numbers are correct and identical between eBay and the bank, that isn't an issue.

Were there any limits on international transactions, or changed terms in general, on the Simplii account around the time it stopped working? While my account doesn't state any restrictions on global or US money transfers, it's possible there is some kind of unwritten/unpublished policy that prevents either BMO or eBay's financial company from interacting with the other?

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

It's likely that your problem has nothing  to do with the site the listing was posted on or the bank you are trying to use for Managed Payments.  My guess is that it is because you originally registered on .com.  so now eBay wants you to sign up for MP on .com.  But you can't do that as you're in Canada.

Other Canadian sellers registered on .com were able to previously sign up for MP on .ca but the system has suddenly stopped allowing that. Hopefully it is just a glitch that they will fix.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

This is absolutely frustrating.  I've spoken to eBay reps at least five times and told to get another bank account!  Really??  There must be an active solution to this mess as I would like my money.  Tried a CIBC USD$ account...still didn't take.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I think we can assume that the reps with the “get another bank account” solution are just going off scripts and don’t really understand what the problem is.

@slt_lancer, if you’re speaking with contracted out call centre workers, I suggest you switch to online chat options where you’ll get an eBay employee at least (just make sure you’re not getting a chat bot).

Message 20 of 29
latest reply