Managed Payments Killed my Shipping Discounts

I used to ship from Canada to the US through my PayPal account with NetParcel. A standard 9x7x1 bubble envelope cost me between 8-9 CAD and included tracking with up to $100 insurance. 

It is now $21 through NetParcel without going through PayPal. 

A few months ago eBay sent me an email saying new discounts were available directly through UPS. So I signed up with them. 

It is also $21. 

Sorry eBay, but no one is paying me $21 to ship a $25 trading card. And there is zero chance I send it PWE or through Canada Post without tracking, where it will be lost and I have to constantly manage my clients questions about where the package is. 

Twitter sales through PayPal it is for now on cards $50 and down. I will consider for above. 

I would encourage you to also reach out to netParcel and negotiate a deal with them for discounted shipping fees from Canada to the US - afterall, you are getting 14% of my sales. 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Managed Payments Killed my Shipping Discounts

No, you can not use Canada Post Small Business Discount with MP.  Buying shipping labels thru PayPal and having Small Business, gave me level 4 with Canada Post and it's a significant discount. Contacted eBay Customer Service to ask about it and the answer was NO, you can not have your/my Canada Post discount integrated with MP.

The best part with MP has added a 1% fee for international sales on top of the regular fees! One more money grab!

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@freedom66 wrote:

No, you can not use Canada Post Small Business Discount with MP.  Buying shipping labels thru PayPal and having Small Business, gave me level 4 with Canada Post and it's a significant discount. Contacted eBay Customer Service to ask about it and the answer was NO, you can not have your/my Canada Post discount integrated with MP.

The best part with MP has added a 1% fee for international sales on top of the regular fees! One more money grab!

@freedom66 

You don't have to use ebay labels for shipping.   If I got a level 4 discount I would use Shippo, Paypal or Snapship. You shouldn't have to import the information in Shippo but in all 3 cases you would have to set up payment outside of MP.

MP is adding a fee to international purchases just like Paypal always has but since PP didn't list it separately quite a few sellers didn't even notice.  Paypal charged .8% for US buyers...ebay charges us .4% so we will be paying less for US buyers.  Both PP and ebay charge 1% for international buyers.  

US sellers pay 1.65% to ebay for all international buyers.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the info. I went back directly to Canada Post and have to input manually the shipping data to keep my level 4 status.  The shipping problem with eBay MP is reversing the already set up benefits when shipping with PayPal, higher shipping cost is the first, not able to pay directly when purchasing the label, etc. And you can not purchase a shipping label with PayPal anymore, Shippo doesn't offer all Canada Post shipping options.

Regarding the fee for international shipping, it was inside PayPal fees as you said, not visible, so it did not bother me. Now, since more than 50% of my sales go international, not to the USA, it is sticking out!

As I remember, we had discounts for eBay fees based on the total of our sales, and I do not see that now? Any suggestions?

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Your trs discount is taken off at the same time your fees are paid to MP.   So if your final value fee for the item plus shipping was $10 and you qualify for the trs discount, eBay will take $9 out of your sake before they deposit your money.  I think that if you look at the payout tab in sellers hub it will show the discount as a special promotion or something like that.  Nite that before MP the discount was not applied yo you fvf for shipping.

Which CP options does Shippo not offer?  

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Why can't you still use Netparcel through Paypal?

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

It is a matter of switching your money from eBay to your bank, to PayPal, and to the shipping company. Never tried Netparcel, because have a better deal with PayPal/Canada Post.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Here is the math  for the C$ 370 sale:

Final Value Fee

-C $41.13
Variable percentage  Pottery & Glass category
Rate for C $0.00 - C $7,500.00
12.35%
Special Promotion
C $4.57 for how long????
International Fee
1.0%
-C $3.70
Charged because the delivery address is in Korea, South. Final amount: C $370.00

Item fee total
-C $44.83
Final Value Fee
-C $0.30
-C $0.30
Per order fixed amount

Total fees
-C $45.13
VAT
-C $5.86
Total fees (VAT)
-C $50.99

I usually have 3 shipping options on my listings, at the time Shippo was covering/showing only 1 when trying to purchase the CP label. Went back to simple PayPal/Canada Post shipping and even there some international shipping options were not available, mostly Tracked Parcel.
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@freedom66 wrote:

... And you can not purchase a shipping label with PayPal anymore, Shippo doesn't offer all Canada Post shipping options.

To use paypal for MP sales:  paypal.com/shipnow

Copy and past required, moving money to paypal required, CP discount level still counts

Shippo: Only missing shipping option for Canada Post (that I've noticed) is that any extra insurance is via a 3rd party insurer, rather than through Canada Post.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@freedom66 wrote:

Special Promotion
C $4.57 for how long????

Special Promotion should be your 10% TRS discount

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

As mentioned earlier, the special promotion is your trs discount so the discount will be there as long as you are trs and/ or there is a trs discount.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

"The solution is named ChitChats"   

Ontario is a huge province.  10 of the 11 locations for Chit Chats are in or around Toronto.

there are a total of 3 drop spots also in that area ..  - not much of a solution.

What about the rest of Canada.. a huge country.   Not much of a solution.  Driving 20 minutes ruins any

chance of saving money as time - gas equal $$$ . Especially with the price of gas. Please post this information before you state it's a solution to someones problem.

Message 31 of 31
latest reply