Managed Payments Question

Ooops.  I'm about to sign up for managed payments.  I opend a US bank account today because I want to get paid in American dollars.  The first question asks if I only list on eBay.com or whether I also use other sites such as eBay.ca etc.

I do list an item on a site other than .com now and then but I'm not sure if saying that I only list on .com is going to lock me into something I don't want to be locked into.

Does anyone know what the point of the question is?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ooops.  I'm about to sign up for managed payments.  I opend a US bank account today because I want to get paid in American dollars.  The first question asks if I only list on eBay.com or whether I also use other sites such as eBay.ca etc.

I do list an item on a site other than .com now and then but I'm not sure if saying that I only list on .com is going to lock me into something I don't want to be locked into.

Does anyone know what the point of the question is?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you list on .ca too from time to time, you should say no to that question.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I opened a US bank account today because I want to get paid in American dollars. . .

Did you open a US bank account or a US dollar account with a Canadian financial institution?  If you're in Canada, Managed Payments will only work with the second option unless you've stumbled on some secret passage that takes you to a US bank account option for Canadians!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I was told it's a US account in US dollars but I did open it with a Canadian Financial Institution.  

Are you saying I can't get paid in US dollars?

I told them that I wanted to get paid directily in American dollars for eBay sales and she seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and volunteered that it's an American Bank Account (I didn't ask).

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

To me, a US account means a bank account located in the United States, but if you've opened a US dollar account with a Canadian financial institution, that's what Managed Payments requires and you should be more or less good to go if you want to be paid in US dollars.

Keep in mind that if you do list on any other eBay site, your payments will be converted from the currency of that site into US dollars and deposited into your US dollar account.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Honestly, I don't have an answer for you. As usual the MP info supplied on this subject is vague.

They keep repeating;

"When you register for eBay as a business or by invitation, you will have the ability to choose your preferred currency". That statement implies that "individual" accounts might not be eligible.

Then in the FAQs they go on to say;

"You can select a different currency (other than CAD) if you list exclusively or do most of your sales on eBay.com.

I for one would appreciate some clarification on eligibilty. Are all accounts able to choose USD or are there specific requirements? 

Screenshot_20210607-180524_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20210607-180802_Edge.jpg

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The account is with Bank of Nova Scotia but she clearly told me that it's an American account.  BNS has branches all over the world including the US and I assumed that was what she was talking about.

The account appears on my online banking info so I think I'm OK there.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If it shows up on your Scotiabank online banking list of accounts then, yes, you should be OK. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The first question asks if I only list on eBay.com or whether I also use other sites such as eBay.ca etc.

I do list an item on a site other than .com now and then but I'm not sure if saying that I only list on .com is going to lock me into something I don't want to be locked into. Does anyone know what the point of the question is?

I had exactly same question here posted:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Where-do-you-create-listings-being-asked-when-signing-up...

My account is on ebay.COM on USD and I am siging up for Canadian USD Bank account to go with it.  I am not at clear what this question means and what are the implications.  I list on .COM but make sales to Canada and also some internationally.

Ebay is doing a terrible job explaining what selecing one or the other option means.

where do you create listings question.png .png

Message 10 of 10
latest reply