Missing street on shipping address

Question :  if the buyer sends you his information / shipping address after purchasing a item & you send it the same day of the purchase then a day later he contacts me and says he had no street name just his address in his shipping address could he come back and say he did not receive has item in the mail ?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member
Any buyer can tell you that they haven’t received their item.

But what I think you may be asking is if the buyer can make a Money Back Guarantee claim through eBay for an undelivered item.

And the answer to that would be a yes.

However, the buyer likely would not be covered by the Money Back Guarantee as they supplied an “invalid or incorrect address at checkout.” Read more here:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@rainbow*rob wrote:

Question :  if the buyer sends you his information / shipping address after purchasing a item & you send it the same day of the purchase then a day later he contacts me and says he had no street name just his address in his shipping address could he come back and say he did not receive has item in the mail ?

I'm playing the other side of the coin here.

If this customer makes a claim for item not delivered, my hunch is eBay will honor the money back guarentee.

My reasons for believing this is possible? Even though he admiited he forgot to include his street address, it was up to you as a seller to intercept his mistake and make the call. No street address means no sale but because you went ahead and shipped it the fault is yours not the buyer's.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

A buyer must always provide the correct address.  If there is a problem with the address then it is the buyer's error.

The seller must ship to the address provided by the buyer.

Recently had a situation where the buyer gave me the wrong address with a purchase....  Buyer asked me to cancel the transaction...    then the buyer bought the item with the correct address.

----------------------------

There have been a few times when an address appeared strange...

That is when the postal code is  used on the Canada Post website to determine   the address.

Then the buyer is notified if there is something wrong

Sometimes it is the address that is wrong.... Sometimes it is the postal code that is wrong.

-------------------------------

Then the address can be viewed on Google maps....there was once a strange address to New York City.....  With Google maps  the address was confirmed  and I was "standing " on the street in front of the house....

-----------------------------

There several places online where an address can be confirmed

------------------------

And then there are... white pages..... for a city...  address... telephone  and sometimes email address and perhaps more and more.

You can be surprised how much information there is on the internet  about everyone....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The portion of the Money Back Guarantee info page that I quoted implies that it’s the buyer’s responsibility to provide the correct address at checkout, however.

While it’s definitely a value-added service for sellers to double-check shipping addresses prior to sending the item off, it’s not always practical for sellers to do so, particularly if they make multiple sales a day.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

In theory Undeliverable shipments will eventually find their way back to the shipper/seller. This can take months, since even at the best of times, Returned and Undeliverable mail is not a high priority for shipping services.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Things will only get checked if there appears to be a problem.....

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes.

And fortunatley, most letter carriers are literate.

If the carrier has been on that walk for any length of time, he probably knows the names that go with most addresses.

This would be more true of the walking carriers than of the truck carriers who I think do less of their own sorting.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you have tracking on the package and tracking states that it the address in incomplete and can't be delivered, ebay would rule in your favour because the buyer provided an incomplete address.  If you don't have tracking on the package,  the buyer would win an item not received claim.  There would be no proof of delivery or attempted delivery so regardless of what the buyer told you about the address, you would not win a claim.  I suppose you could try to appeal after the buyer has been refunded as they might give you a courtesy refund but I think that it is unlikely to happen like that.

I would tell the buyer that I would let them know when I received the item back and then we could decide on how to proceed once the package made it back.

There would be a few options after that but I wouldn't spell them out to the buyer at this point.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I agree with you. But since being here on eBay I have heard stories from sellers where things went sideways and a decision wasn't always in their favour. Call me the devil's advocate then.

To me it's not a far fetched idea that somebody at eBay's call centre will make that call. 

When it comes to checking buyer addresses, I use Google Maps myself and real estate/realtor websites. One address Canada Post didn't have listed but I was able to confirm it with Google Maps. I told the employee at the counter the address existed and to ship the parcel anyways. 

One drawback about using Google Maps is why does everyone have a nicer home than I do? 😭

Message 10 of 10
latest reply