Money back guarantee

I just got an eBay message that says that if I buy something it will be covered by a money back guarantee and that: "virtually all items on eBay will be covered. I thought sellers could opt in or out of that. What the heck is going on?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Money back guarantee

I forgot to mention that the money back guarantee includes the seller paying for the return shipping.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

... and who determine ''Not exactly what you order'' ?...

Seller picture and description ?...

Buyer opinion ?...

Ebay customer services ?

... I'm ready to place few buck on strictly ''Buyer opinion'' !!!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

Most of which is exactly what the Buyer Protection Program has been , like, forever.

The changes I see are that the Buyer may not be required to pay for return postage and the possible extension of the deadline to 180 days.

I understand that the 180 days are a Paypal deadline, and the eBay deadline remains at 45 days. It seems there are now three deadlines, the known 45 days from purchase, the new 30 days from expected delivery date, and the 'holiday' 180 days from payment.

I think the new program is aimed at Chinese sellers, too many of whom are not good about sending goods, accepting returns, or making refunds.

Unfortunately, it has been extended to all sellers. The PP one would only affect International sellers, like Canadians, since that is the group whose disputes are mostly handled by PP.

I'm not going to worry about the extension of deadlines, since I have only had a handful of problems since I started in 2001, but the return postage is a worry.

That international tracked service starts around $40 is a huge benefit to the Canadian buyer and a strong message to get it right to sketchey sellers. But it will be painful to honest sellers with customers who want to rent rather than buy.

I can see sellers agreeing more and more to accept a photograph as proof of damage/ incorrect description rather than pay high return postage.

I can also see Canadian sellers Blocking overseas buyers -- or demanding a Made In Canada version of the Global Shipping Program, which, much as buyers hate it, does protect US sellers against unwarranted INR and NAD/damaged claims.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

No, right now you can opt in or out to the hassle free return program which covers all returns, not just snads. It wouldn't make sense for Canadians to opt into the hassle free program but all sellers living in the U.S. will eventually be opted in automatically.

The MBG is for snad and for inr disputes, not for returns and you can't opt out.  The program is basically the same as the Paypal buyer protection program that has been around for years except that the MBG mentions that the sellers pays return shipping for a snad. However, I saw some info that suggests the opposite of that so I wrote Raphael about it as the info is very confusing...at least to me it is.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

Femme, from what I understand, the 45 days claim period is being replaced by the 30 day after expected delivery time limit. 

The PP one would only affect International sellers, like Canadians, since that is the group whose disputes are mostly handled by PP.

Claims for purchases that are made on sites with the MBG such as .com, .ca  and a couple of the European sites should now be handled on ebay not paypal unless it has been over 30 days since the delivery date. Then, the buyer would have to file on Paypal.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

What's MBG?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Money back guarantee

Buyers Money Back Guarantee - That's what Ross is referring to.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#description

Buyers on .com have had that plan for quite a while which is why they filed through ebay rather than paypal. The plan did change for them earlier this year when the seller had to start paying return shipping for not as described items.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply