My First Experience with the Global Shipping Program

I purchased an item from a U.S. seller on June 19th.  In round numbers, I paid $11.00 S&H and $7.00 import fees.  I was fine with that because the base price of the item was excellent and the $18.00 total S&H and fees was equal to what other sellers were charging for shipping outside of the GSP.

On June 21st, I got a confirmation e-mail from UPS in Kentucky that my item had been delivered .... to them ... at a location called Airport Exchange Blvd.  It didn`t sound like it was still in transit; simply that it had been delivered and signed for.  That's all I've heard.  While I wasn`t expecting to have received it today, I would like some idea of how it's going to be shipped to me and when I can expect delivery.  When I contacted UPS to see if they were now going to forward this item to me or was it being picked up and shipped by USPS, I was told ...sorry, "In order to protect our customer's information, we cannot provide you with charges billed to another party. Please contact your shipper for additional assistance."  Well, I wasn't going to contact the seller yet; perhaps he doesn't even know the details of how it's going to proceed to Canada if he's new to the program.  His listing did state "International Tracking" except that the UPS number is now dead.

While only a few days have passed since my purchase, and I'm not impatient, it seems to me that there should be some further notification to the buyer but, by whom, I'm not sure -- the seller?  UPS Kentucky?  USPS? So far, I'm not impressed.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: My First Experience with the Global Shipping Program

"Are we to assume that if the item had to be returned because of a SNAD that it would be shipped to the Mississauga address ." ....

That's a good question. The only statement I could find in the eBay GSP policy related to returns is:  If you accept returns and your return policy specifies that the cost of return shipping will be paid by you, you're responsible for all costs associated with shipping the item back to you.  So while this doesn't specifically deal with a SNAD, the policy does make provision for the seller to pay return postage, so I'm assuming that if the item is not as described, the buyer begins the dialogue with the seller and return arrangements are agreed upon.

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

I'm assuming that if the item is not as described, the buyer begins the dialogue with the seller and return arrangements are agreed upon.

Just based on what I've read...one of the problems is that sellers don't seem to know what the procedure is (or if there is a set procedure) so that the buyer can get the shipping fees, taxes etc. from PB. I am guessing that any any other fees paid to them would not be refundable.

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

I think all Sellers and Buyers should remember that you can opt out of the GSP. When Sellers are selling items under 4lbs and even a tad heavier than that, the SC is $30+!! In the Buyers Paypal account they will notice a transfer of funds to Pitney Bowes. I never authorized such a thing. I was never warned by eBay that this was happening everytime I buy from the US and I would have never agreed to buy anything in this manner. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people will tell me different though.

The majority of what I buy from the US is under 13ozs. For that, with using GSP to ship to me, i will be charged $30+ in shipping costs for an item I won for $10ish. It's ridiculous and suicidal to Sellers and Buyers. Buyers won't buy with this type of shipping and the SELLERS lose a whole lot of money as there Buyers go elsewhere or just stop buying period. Sellers, you can opt out at any time from this program. OR as another Seller told me, US Sellers can incorperate the fair shipping cost (that you will find in the link below) and also add the cost that you will be charged should the listing fee go up (it's only fair the Buyer should pay that too!) and then change your listing to FREE shipping! You and the Buyer anre happy and no one, including eBay, loses out. The only ones that do are the Pitney Bowes people and whoever else slapped on that 11% increase! Here's the link....and I also urge you to read the inelidgeable items listed in the GSP as well as what they refuse to cover for Sellers. Also know that the tracking number provided to both parties are meaningless as verified via the site I will list and the USPS site. PLEASE Sellers....use this method again and opt away from the gsp. You'll find your customer base increasing and a lot more Buyers that are thrilled with your service and no doubt will let all know that! Thanks for reading! 🙂 🙂

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

@mushla17 wrote:

I think all Sellers and Buyers should remember that you can opt out of the GSP. When Sellers are selling items under 4lbs and even a tad heavier than that, the SC is $30+!! In the Buyers Paypal account they will notice a transfer of funds to Pitney Bowes. I never authorized such a thing. I was never warned by eBay that this was happening everytime I buy from the US and I would have never agreed to buy anything in this manner. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people will tell me different though.

The majority of what I buy from the US is under 13ozs. For that, with using GSP to ship to me, i will be charged $30+ in shipping costs for an item I won for $10ish. It's ridiculous and suicidal to Sellers and Buyers. Buyers won't buy with this type of shipping and the SELLERS lose a whole lot of money as there Buyers go elsewhere or just stop buying period. Sellers, you can opt out at any time from this program. OR as another Seller told me, US Sellers can incorperate the fair shipping cost (that you will find in the link below) and also add the cost that you will be charged should the listing fee go up (it's only fair the Buyer should pay that too!) and then change your listing to FREE shipping! You and the Buyer anre happy and no one, including eBay, loses out. The only ones that do are the Pitney Bowes people and whoever else slapped on that 11% increase! Here's the link....and I also urge you to read the inelidgeable items listed in the GSP as well as what they refuse to cover for Sellers. Also know that the tracking number provided to both parties are meaningless as verified via the site I will list and the USPS site. PLEASE Sellers....use this method again and opt away from the gsp. You'll find your customer base increasing and a lot more Buyers that are thrilled with your service and no doubt will let all know that! Thanks for reading! 🙂 🙂

Sorry, not allowed to leasve the link but check out the usps.c o m site. There you will find from the US Postal Service the ACTUAL S&C for shipping to Canada. 🙂

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

Wow! That this is the first and only listing I heard of where shipping in the GSP is anywhere close to the total shipping costs out of the program. In my experience something that ships for $10 (1st class international shipping rate) outside the program  ships for a min of $22 and as much as over $30 (for priority shipping plus the import fee).

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

@mushla17 wrote:

Since this is a Canadian board it is read mainly by Canadian sellers who can't opt into the GSP anyway. You might want to post on a .com board if you want U.S. sellers to see it. But you might want to check to see if the tracking number not working is really a problem before you post that it is.

I'm sure that there are times when it isn't working but I haven't found this to be a common problem mentioned on the boards although it has been mentioned that it can take a few days before they receive the tracking number that PB is using.

Also, not all U.S. sellers are selling with the GSP so you won't be paying anything to PB "everytime you buy something from the U.S. The listings that do go through the GSP have the shipping charges and import charges clearly marked.

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

US Sellers can incorperate the fair shipping cost (that you will find in the link below) and also add the cost that you will be charged should the listing fee go up (it's only fair the Buyer should pay that too!) and then change your listing to FREE shipping!

I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that sellers can add the cost of international shipping in the listing and then state shipping is free? If so...it doesn't work that way. The sellers state what they will charge from their location to the shipping center in Kentucky and ebay adds the international cost to that amount so there will always be international shipping charge regardless what the seller charges.

There you will find from the US Postal Service the ACTUAL S&C for shipping to Canada. :smileyhappy:

Here are some actual charges. You mentioned a 4 lb package in your first post. On the USPS site using Priority for a 4 lb package would cost anywhere from $20  - $54 depending on the size of the package needed. For first class international, the cost would be $27 at the post office, $24.60 online. So the shipping charge of $30 by the GSP isn't that much out of line. If the package was  4 lbs 8 ounces, the least expensive charge by USPS would be $35.

I can understand why you don't like the GSP as I'm not crazy about it either but in some cases, the shipping charges are not outrageous.

Message 28 of 53
latest reply

Things have changed since the GSP was started on eBay.

One gets the impression  that...  the powers that be ... have been paying attention to the early discussion about the GSP,  by sellers and not buyers..... on eBay.ca.

One also gets the impression that we knew the "Law"  with respect to taxes and more.... better than the powers did.

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Love it. Censor bots forever! They rule!

Message 30 of 53
latest reply

This is actually the second parcel that I have received in the last month that which arrived with the KY shipping diversion. My problem with it is that both times the parcels come shredded open and taped back closed with a little Pitney Bowes/Ebay paper inside which states:

NOTICE OF PARCEL CHECK

Your parcel was checked and re-sealed because either:

*The country of origin or number of items had to be verified to complete customs forms; or

*Customs or transportation security officials viewed the parcel.

**bleep**????

I liked the old way better - what is this Communist frickin Russia?

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

I too recently "caved in" and bought an item within the GSP, and I've been meaning to post my experience on these boards, since there has been so much railing against the GSP and very little first hand experience from posters or real-world analysis of it.  

I purchased an item from US GSP seller (located in New York City) on Sept. 29th, somewhat against my better judgment, but this was an item I'd been unable to find anywhere, on or off eBay, was something I specifically wanted, and the base price was excellent.

I first asked the seller very nicely if he'd considered relisting the item outside the GSP.  The poor guy didn't even know how he'd gotten himself into it, let alone what the programme was, and had no idea how to opt out for one item, a telling reflection of how poorly eBay has been informing US sellers about the details of the programme and how strongly eBay has been promoting it.

I explained to my US seller how the GSP worked, and its perceived disadvantages from Canadian buyers' point of view.  However, he was so unsure of how to proceed, and it was getting very complicated emailing back and forth, so I finally told him I'd just purchase the item as listed, with the GSP.  Here is what I paid ($US): 

Base price:   $110.98   (an outstanding price for this item - 9-1/4 yards of top quality Italian pure wool fabric)

My seller's shipping charges:  $19.98  (i.e. price to ship to the "hub" in Kentucky, a good price considering the weight)

Additional shipping charges:  $17.26 (from Kentucky "hub" to my address in Nova Scotia) 

Import charges:  $30.86 (Includes Pitney-Bowes' fees plus applicable HST/GST; Based on 15% HST, the breakdown would be roughly: HST: $16.80 [on a ca. $112 Cdn purchase]; P-B's own fees: $14.06. 

So the total I paid was:  $179.08 

A tracking number was issued by eBay, and I followed the tracking, showing about 3 days' delay at Kentucky.  I recall it was a private delivery at this end, not CP.  Total transit time from date of purchase was about 8 business days, not outstanding, but quite acceptable.  The parcel was (fortunately) not torn open and repacked at Kentucky, but I had specifically asked the seller to put a packing slip on the front of the parcel (I always do this when shipping an item over $200 to the US, in the hope that the official-looking eBay/Paypal slip may dissuade Customs from rooting through the box itself). 

Now for the comparative analysis: 

(a) Local Purchase:  If I had bought this fabric locally, I likely would have paid at the very least, $30 to $40/metre x 9.0m = $270.00 minimum base price, plus HST/GST of $40.50 = $310.50 total, plus I would have to factor in the cost of driving (probably to Halifax) to find it, another $15 or so.  

(b) Non eBay internet seller:  I do buy similar wool fabric occasionally from a favourite (non-eBay) supplier in the US who uses USPS for shipping, so I know almost exactly what this shipment would have cost if I'd purchased it from them: Roughly $20/yard x 9.25yds = $185.00 + about $40 shipping = $225.00, plus $33.75 HST/GST, plus CP's fees which I believe are currently $9.95, for a total of $268.70.  

(c) EBay Seller:  The above total might be lower from an eBay seller offering a better per yard price and lower shipping costs, but likely not more than about $50 less (I did check before choosing my GSP seller - similar fabrics were selling at $20 to $25/yd by others).  For the sake of analysis, I'd say about $220.00 total

(d) EBay Non-GSP Purchase (or other internet seller) assuming no HST/GST charged:  If this purchase could get through Canada Border Services without being charged HST/GST then a non-GSP EBay seller might be a comparable choice (para. (c) above), except that my experience is that items of this type and value rarely get through Canada Border Services without charge.  

So this particular transaction was a win for me, because it was highly unlikely this parcel would get through in any case without HST/GST and CP's fees being charged.  

The bottom line, as I see it, is not that the GSP is necessarily a bad programme for every purchase, for every Canadian, but that it can work if you're very careful about when you choose it.  Obviously for items under $20 in value, some will object to an automatic HST/GST + broker charge.  It's hardly worth it for that value.  However, once you're looking at buying something that will most likely attract HST/GST at the border anyway, you have to look at the total cost of the transaction, and do your own math to work out the approximate HST/GST and broker fees.  

So I would say that if you find something on eBay that is rare or excellent quality at an outstanding price, if it's worth more than about $100, it may not be a disadvantage to use a GSP seller.  

Now, granted, I still have my criticisms, even after this relatively positive experience: 

1) US sellers seem to have been railroaded into the GSP without understanding what it is, or what their buyers are paying, which in my view is wrong

2)  Buyers are not shown the full breakdown of costs until they are at the point of purchase (i.e. invoice), which in my view is wrong

3)  For a buyer, trying to parse out the details of the transaction after the fact takes some accounting skill and determination -- I ended up printing out 11 pages of information from eBay/Paypal in order to be able to break down all the details; 

4)  Returns -- I'm still not sure exactly how I would have had to handle a return if I'd been unhappy with the item.  The seller offered returns with money refunded, but how?  And who pays the return shipping, and to where?  These details aren't made clear to the buyer at the time of purchase.  

Overall then, I would say that I'd only choose a GSP seller if I knew the price was so good, or the item so impossible to find elsewhere, that the total costs were worth it.  

I think the main message is that you do need to be an informed purchaser to buy with the GSP, and that means knowing your item value/prices, being aware what GST/HST will apply (and being prepared to have to pay it), knowing that brokers' fees will be charged, and knowing that you can pretty much double the shipping cost shown by the seller (or look up USPS shipping prices from Kentucky to your own location -- this will give you some idea of what the GSP portion of the shipping will cost). 

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

I bought with GSP twice both times paid much more then I would have before the program.. I do understand it but don't like .. i now have to pay way more for my business supplies then I use to.

The program sucks and anyone trying to defend it just seems weird to me because no matter what you do having a middle man always sucks I mean who want to pay a pointless 3rd party  ..

O have 4 suppliers and 1 is a middle man and I get the worse delays and highest cost because I have to pay him the middle man.. He is a good supplier but as i slowly get all the big companies under my belt the middle man becomes pointless

As a buyer how has it benefited me .. It hasn't not one bit .. Not only that MOST US seller now ship UPS only ... Not an issue on my bigger orders but sucks for the smaller ones..

Althought the program may not be the worse thing it really has no benefit and I know it's not meant for Canadian buyers but I am pretty sure Millions of canadian purchases are ebay every year to US sellers ..

Working my way around opened up a UPS brokerage account to give me Min brokerage fees so thats a plus ..

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

I'm the OP and, since the time of my original post, I have made two additional purchases from US sellers using the GSP.

I'm just as cautious as the rest of you (with the exception of those who will not even consider buying items where the GSP is used), but I have been completely satisfied with all my purchases.

In each case, the cost of the item was under $50, with an approximate weight of 1 kg, with the shipping price and import charges clearly stated.  No additional charges were levied at delivery.  They were shipped International Priority and I was provided with a tracking number in each case.  Two of the items were received in 5 business days ... the other in 6.

Now I recognize that there are a lot of problems with the GSP and I've bypassed a lot of items that interested me because the shipping + import fees were so high but, IMHO, I don't think it's necessary to completely ignore these types of transactions because there are still some good buys to be had.  The total price of each of my items was far less than I would have paid at retail and the total shipping fees were less than those charged by sellers in Canada or those in the U.S. who weren't using the GSP.  Although I wouldn't buy anything that would need to be returned because I'm not sure of that process.

I've read that people don't see the total cost of the item until the invoice is received but that wasn't the case with me.  When the time came for payment, it didn't differ from what was in the description.  But, then, I purchased BIN's ... with auctions, the import fee would change as the bids go up.

I have nothing to gain ... LOL ... by defending this program.  Time and time again, over the years, people have declared that they don't care what the shipping charge is as long as the total cost is satisfactory to them.  Well, why don't they apply the same principle here.  Sure, you may have never paid an import fee on your U.S. purchases up until now but if that fee plus the S&H price seems reasonable to you, why not go ahead.  (Now the whole issue of how the Canadian government gets that money is another story ...  that's way above my pay grade).   I just think that if you're willing to do the research, you can still make some great purchases.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

Buy Something big with a large amount with shipping charge of $10 and change ...  No Wait for the Huge charge for the shipping from kentucky to you .

That is the part that I hate ..

2 Purchases I made one I was good with the other
I paid $10 shipping and the $14 imports ... Next dday my paypal account was billed $22 from Pitney bowes which was not stated during checkout etc.

I shouldn't say it is the worst thing for me as a canadian buyers but it's not good was cheaper and simpliar before

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

I think you are missing an important factor in your analysis:  that item carries duty when entering Canada.

The "import charge" is made of the duty, then the tax (calculated on the duty paid value) and PB small fee.

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

Hey pierre .. I am missing something you say the import is made of the duty then the tax Caculated on the duty ..

I paid tax and import charges on Items that are duty free like My mailers have no duty at all just an import charge and taxes  .

So where am I misunderstanding what your saying ?

As for Pitney bowes the fees is not small pending what you buy .. 1 Listing 10,0000 mailers Shipping charge by seller $10..

Pitney bowes will end up charging me a Couple $100 on shipping for this because it is about 40 boxes worth of mailers so it will be A BIG Pitney bowes fees unless again i am misinformed...... 

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

"I am missing something"

My reply was not to you and your products but to rose-dee "top quality Italian pure wool fabric"

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

Pierre, I think the seller probably showed the origin of the product as being "U.S." on the customs form.  

It was an old designer roll-end, so I doubt that even the seller had any confirmation of its original place of manufacture -- his description (and my knowledge of textiles) indicated it was likely Italian-made, but I have a feeling it had been sitting around for a few years in some designer's back workroom, so nobody could really provide any proof of the origin.  It was not a direct import in other words.

Whether the seller deliberately misrepresented this fact on the customs form, or just stated the extent of his actual knowledge, I don't know for sure, but the charges looked to me in line with what I would normally expect for a "made in U.S.A" product of this type.  

Are you saying that my calculation of the P-B's portion of the import charges  (which I extrapolated from the total figure comprising those charges and GST/HST) was higher than it would have been for a "made in U.S.A." item, and that is why you believe there was duty on the item?  What would you have expected the P-B's fees to be on a shipment of this value?

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

I should add that I've purchased fabric from other (non-eBay) internet sellers in the U.S., some of which textiles I know were fabricated in Europe, but these were all similar "designer roll-end" textiles, and in every case the seller marked the goods' origin (rightly or wrongly) as 'US', and I've never been charged duty.  

There may even be an exemption from duty for raw textiles (i.e. not in a manufactured garment or article) coming into Canada -- I should look that up.  Since I've never paid duty, I've never bothered to check.  

At any rate, like 'jt-libra', I would have to admit that my experience with this transaction was positive overall.  That is, despite my ongoing concerns about other aspects of the GSP.  I will also continue to be very selective and cautious about what I buy that has GSP attached to it, and tally up the costs carefully before making a purchase.  

Message 40 of 53
latest reply