My experience with the small packet UR999999999CA numbers

I've seen reference to the fact that at least within eBay the small packet UR numbers on the labels are sometimes showing tracking progress.

So I've done an experiment to see, here's what I found:

Note that I'm a stamps on the package kind of guy, so I am getting the UR code off the label my postmaster puts on the package.

I picked repeat customers so I could advise them of my experiment and the likelihood of it not showing anything.

I put the "UR tracking" number in for a US item.  No updates of any kind in eBay.

I put the "UR tracking" number in for an item to Australia. No updates of any kind in eBay.

So it looks like whilst it might work in other scenarios, where the label is generated other ways, it does not work when pulled off labels generated at the actual PO.

Makes me quite sad as I've a lot of items going to scary countries recently, this would have been some nice partial assurance of the package making the journey!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I print my labels from Paypal and enter the UR number into ebay as a tracking number.

Once the package is in the States, USPS are scanning it and eventually it shows as delivered.

Maybe because you have stamps on the parcel USPS is not scanning it.

It does not work in countries other than the US.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The PO label is a bar coded label, I'm assuming it would be scanned the same way that the PAYPAL one is, however it must be something to do with the fact it is generated by PAYPAL instead of the PO that is causing it to be automagically picked up as it moves through the USPS?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

In repeated checking UR Small Packet tracking on my shipments to the USA from western Canada with Shippo...Forwarded to Richmond then on to LAX or SF I have yet to find one where any tracking will display in eBay, Canadapost or USPS.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Well, as I said - issued by Paypal, enter it as tracking number -it shows on ebay when you go to "order details" once it is scanned in the US.

It never shows on Canada Post.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Yep just to be clear my tests were only with respect to inserting the UR number in eBay as a tracking number.

So far it looks like it is only PAYPAL generated labels that work...
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I use Shippo through eBay for my Small Pkt labels. I have been entering the UR number and about 50% of them do show the USPS tracking. It seems as if they have to be scanned at the first USPS site or they don’t show any more movement and tracking after that. And it only works for the US shipments, not overseas.

Slightly off topic, I had to go to 2 post offices today to drop off my Small Pkt shipments. At the first one, a Shoppers Drugs, the postal clerk had no idea how to do a scan receipt and refused to stamp my paper receipt as an alternative. She kept insisting it was not possible even though I said it was for insurance purposes. Had to go to a proper post office and had no problem there. The training in some of the SDMs is definitely lacking. Normally, I do go to a Canada post office but was travelling today.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
Yep just to be clear my tests were only with respect to inserting the UR number in eBay as a tracking number. So far it looks like it is only PAYPAL generated labels that work...

Works for Shippo labels. Have not tried it with Canada Post's SnapShip.

Have only had successful eBay results for Small Packet USA.

No luck with Small Packet International showing info for the UK or Japan.

Still, as long as it works for the USA, I'll make use of it.

-..-

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I've probably done around 12-15 USA Small Packets through Shippo and 100% have worked through eBay tracking. Sometimes it takes a week for it to show up though.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Do not forget to enter the UR456789CA number manually (Cut & Paste from the label) in ebay Sold Item... otherwise it will not work. It works with label generated with Shippo or Paypal. It works 100% of the time for shipment to USA; usually after 3 to 4 days from the time you drop the package to your post office...it works 0% of the time for other countries. Again...you must enter the number manually...it is not an automated process.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply