My listing was removed but I see the same items have sold recently by others.

roxx66
Community Member

Hey eBay,

I just listed a Vintage Corningware Blue cornflower 9 cup coffee percolator and the listing was removed. I got a message from eBay saying the pot was recalled and that I can't sell recalled items. 

My question is, why then have I seen that the exact same coffee pot just sold by a US seller?  I also saw one listed and sold by an Australian seller. I don't get it. 

I don't have a beef with not being able to sell it...I just don't understand if you're going to restrict it, why not for everybody? 

Thanks

Roxx66

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would suggest contacting eBay directly to about their policy and if you could list the item in a way that does comply with their rules.

You can ask them using the AskeBay Twitter or Facebook page. https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

Looking up this item, it looks like a lot of people are selling them for parts. That might be the distinction, but I do not know for sure. It is also possible that 'for parts' listings are not allowed and the active listings fell through the cracks. I would not advise you to list the item 'for parts' before contacting eBay for clarification on their rules.

From a liability POV, it may not be a good idea to re-list it if eBay has already removed it. Even if their removal e-mail didn't specifically tell you not to re-list it. It also might not be advisable to sell a recalled product even as a collectible, without understanding all possible legal liabilities. 

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just a guy on an eBay forum, so the above isn't legal advice. 💩

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

perhaps the recall only pertained to the perculators that were manufactured for North American use?

OR The eBay bots are at work, and It could be the wording within the listing that triggers the removal...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Before your listing was taken down no doubt a few other sellers were wondering why yours was listed and theirs were taken down. Perhaps one of those sellers decided to report yours.

eBay on the way to 2 BILLION listings from about 17 million sellers, it is essentially impossible to get every offending listing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I would suggest contacting eBay directly to about their policy and if you could list the item in a way that does comply with their rules.

You can ask them using the AskeBay Twitter or Facebook page. https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

Looking up this item, it looks like a lot of people are selling them for parts. That might be the distinction, but I do not know for sure. It is also possible that 'for parts' listings are not allowed and the active listings fell through the cracks. I would not advise you to list the item 'for parts' before contacting eBay for clarification on their rules.

From a liability POV, it may not be a good idea to re-list it if eBay has already removed it. Even if their removal e-mail didn't specifically tell you not to re-list it. It also might not be advisable to sell a recalled product even as a collectible, without understanding all possible legal liabilities. 

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just a guy on an eBay forum, so the above isn't legal advice. 💩

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

roxx66
Community Member

Thank you for all your replies. I greatly appreciate it.

I have since found 4 different listings for the same item.  I was even sent an offer for one of them lol

All of your responses are plausible and make sense. I was just taken aback that I was singled out. In any case...

I've decided that I'm not going to relist the item...if it was recalled back in 1978, it was recalled for a reason (I wasn't aware of the recall prior to listing btw) and I don't want to put anyone in danger of injury just for the sake of a sale. I will more than likely list the brewing basket and lid. The carafe will make a nice unusual flower pot for my deck this summer 🙂

Thank you all again,

Roxx66

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Looking at sold listings, it appears you can almost do as well just selling the lid on its own, and the inside basket on its own.   And that is a lot lighter for shipping.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Those are the ones that were recalled because of a tendency to explode?

It might be because the other one was sold by an Australian seller that it was not caught, however both for the sake of your account and for public safety, don't relist it. Not on eBay, not anywhere.

Also because I am a Browncoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGoDlG-qeA

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@roxx66 wrote:

I've decided that I'm not going to relist the item...if it was recalled back in 1978, it was recalled for a reason (I wasn't aware of the recall prior to listing btw) and I don't want to put anyone in danger of injury just for the sake of a sale. I will more than likely list the brewing basket and lid. The carafe will make a nice unusual flower pot for my deck this summer 🙂

It's actually illegal to sell a recalled product (at least one that was recalled for a health or safety reason). It can be really hard to determine whether some products have or haven't been, but if you know it has definitely don't sell it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

For the handle spout, here is info from Google:

From a post elsehwere: "ALL POTS WITH THE METAL SPOUTS WERE RECALLED IN 1979. The only safe ones have the white spout made of corning glass."

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 4, 1979
Release # 79-046
Major Corrective Action Set On Corning Ware Coffee Percolators

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Sept. 4) -- Corning Glass Works and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced a voluntary action by the company to remove virtually all Corning Ware coffee percolators from consumer use.

Some of these coffeemakers can be dangerous to use because the handle and metal band may separate without warning from the white glass-ceramic pot.

Consumers owning Corning Ware percolators are advised to stop using them immediately. If such a separation occurs on a coffeemaker containing hot liquid, the consumer can be burned.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This has happened to me dozens of times. I think someone just reports it and it comes down. Or the bots pull it because your listing was the lucky winner. It doesn't phase me anymore. I just sell whatever is pulled elsewhere, or gift/ donate.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You can see someone go through a red light on the street, and not getting caught by police, but it doesn't mean you can do the same without repercussion. 😉

Message 11 of 11
latest reply