NEW Extra-Small Flat Rate Box from Canada Post Sept 11th

Specs for the NEW Canada Post Extra-Small Flat Rate Box (National):

• L:  24.1 cm (9.5 in)
  • W:  16.5 cm (6.5 in)
  • H:  8.9 cm (3.5 in)

Price: $16.99

Available: 9-11-23

I saw one partially unfolded. Deeper than expected...

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@doc_scribe wrote:

Specs for the NEW Canada Post Extra-Small Flat Rate Box (National):

• L:  24.1 cm (9.5 in)
  • W:  16.5 cm (6.5 in)
  • H:  8.9 cm (3.5 in)

Price: $16.99

Available: 9-11-23

I saw one partially unfolded. Deeper than expected...

@doc_scribe 

Do you happen to know the weight limit for these boxes? It's too bad the price point wasn't similar to Small packet air to the USA. Probably wishful thinking!!!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Same weight as the current Small Flat Rate Box @lotzofuniquegoodies : 5kg (about 11 lbs?).

The increased 8.9 cm (3.5 in) depth surprised me. Tom Clancy book sellers should be very happy... 😎

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

now that's a size that may be very useful for some of the items I list/sell, not only here on eBay, but for my other 2 selling sites as well....

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As a media seller, the thickness of a complete Movie or TV series Box Set on Blu-ray or DVD often precludes use of the Small Flat Rate box, and a Medium sized box would be expensive overkill. So what this product will do for me is pretty much eliminate the need for Expedited Parcel domestically.*

* e.g.  the 8.9 cm (3.5 in) height of this Extra-Small box will safely accommodate a stack of 6 single Blu-rays or 5 standard DVDs.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

So not useful for coffee mugs then?

Canada Post makes and sells a coffee mug appropriate box,  why not make it a prepaid item too?

Not that I sell coffee mugs.

Still.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Standard coffee mugs would be out...unless you flatten them a bit.

Could be a boon though for sellers of tall capucchino sets or skinny tumblers... 😎

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

Standard coffee mugs would be out...unless you flatten them a bit.

Could be a boon though for sellers of tall capucchino sets or skinny tumblers... 😎

@doc_scribe 

The baffling part about all this when you put it together with what ebay store carries for sellers is the 4 x 4 x 4"  (17 x 17 x 17 cm) box doesnt align with eBay shipping options in Calculated shipping. Expedited gets removed(blocked) if you offer using those measurements. The smaller measurements will work when you create a label. The 4x4x4 is perfectly acceptable on the US site. As for sending mugs assembly required pretty sure majority of buyers would not be too thrilled.  Just saying!!!

-Lotz

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The 4"x4"x4" makes sense since they are designed for the larger US market. Annoying but understandable.

birthday cake assembly.jpg

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

All kidding aside, a 4" x 4" x 4" Flat Rate Box would be useful not only for shipping mugs, but also perfumes or creams, small electronic components or auto parts, and probably most sports card sets or lots.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

All kidding aside, a 4" x 4" x 4" Flat Rate Box would be useful not only for shipping mugs, but also perfumes or creams, small electronic components or auto parts, and probably most sports card sets or lots.

I wouldn't want to ship a mug in a 4x4x4, but 5x5x5 would be really helpful.  Honestly, this new box but in a 6x6x6 (about the same overall size) would be perfect for all kinds of stuff.  Canada Post really just needs to add a small parcel rate though. Base it off the lettermail model and start it at $8 for 100g, then $1 per 100g after that or something.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yeah I was gonna post about this earlier but I’ve been super busy. We’ve been selling them for like a week now at my post office in Winnipeg because the manager of the post office just doesn’t seem to care about the dates she’s sent by Canada Post lol.

They’re an interesting size - good for a stack of movies or something like someone said. Wish they were a bit cheaper though - like $14.99 would have been the sweet spot. I still remember when the flat rate boxes first came out and the Small was $12.49; those were the days.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

rp9544
Community Member

Will they fit a Funko pop box?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

as per the OP 's initial post, the extra small flat rate box size is: 24.1 x 16.5 x 8.9 cm (9 ½ inches x 6 ½ inches x 3 ½ inches). Since I don't even know what  "a Funko pop box" is , you will have to assess that for yourself by applying the item's measurements to those of the flat rate box.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply