Need guidance on INR case WITH tracking to the USA

i've had several INR cases opened where there is no tracking number, during my selling career.  The current procedure is i have 3 business days to refund.  If i do not, Ebay automatically closes the case in the buyer's favour and i get a defect.

What happens when i DO have a tracking number?  I have responded to the 'request' by entering the tracking number and sending a note to the buyer.  I have until June 21 to refund.  After that what happens?  I don't think it will automatically be closed in the buyer's favour, correct?  Will a human being look into it?

The tracking shows the item has been sitting at ISC Chicago since May 19, nearly a month.  Terrible.  So i will probably lose the case, but the buyer is willing to wait a bit longer.  Will Ebay automatically decide in the buyer's favour without even contacting me, so i can at least voluntarily send a refund, to avoid getting a defect?

Guidance appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The tracking shows the item has been sitting at ISC Chicago since May 19, nearly a month. Terrible. So i will probably lose the case,

I would assume that you will lose the case, perhaps, depending on the value, refunding voluntarily sooner.

But have you sent a query to Canada Post or to USPS (or both)?  Under the terms of Murphy's Law, million to one chances happen nine times out of ten.

Since you are in touch with the buyer, you can politely advise him that when you see the Confirmation of Delivery, you will send him a PP invoice to make it easy for him to return the refund.

It often works, especially with a calm and ethical buyer.

Some seller would discount the new invoice by the price of the shipping.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The buyer has already told me that if the item doesn't arrive by June 21 he doesn't want it, as it's a present and if it doesn't arrive by then he will have to buy something else.   So if it doesn't show very soon, i'm out of luck.   It's value is $150USD.    I opened a claim with Canada Post several days ago and they are 'looking into it'.

The tracking still hasn't updated, item is still at ISC Chicago, stuck there for 28 days and counting.

I got another INR yesterday, after this one.  Same problem, US package that hasn't shown up after almost a month, also stuck at ISC Chicago. 

Every package i ship to the US goes through ISC Chicago.  If this continues i'll be wiped out.  I first noticed the slowdown there at the begining of May but then the delay was only a week.  Now it's 4 plus weeks, so the problem there is getting worse, not better.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Not any help but just a comment. ISC Chicago has been a dead zone for at least 15 years, not as bad as it has apparently been during Covid but bad none the less.

From my experience anything that goes into limbo for that length of time is not likely ever going to reappear (but it can happen).

You should look into using ChitChats or Stallion to ship to the USA, 99% of your problems will go away and you will save a lot of money and have MUCH faster deliveries.

You ship overseas as well so I suggest Stallion is the best option.

https://ship.stallionexpress.ca/register/i1oZkN

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No they won't contact you before they close the case.  If there is evidence that the item has moved within the last 10 days then they put the case on hold but I don't believe that is done automatically, the seller has to contact them.  In this case its' been too long since the last update so the buyer will be refunded unless tracking suddenly shows delivery.  In this case I would probably refund right away or wait for the day before ebay closes the case so that there is no defect.

If they no longer want the item and they do get it, they can either refuse delivery so that it gets sent back or you can send them a return label to return the item.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I just read a post on the US forum from a seller that was in a similar situation.  They contacted FB  and twitter and were told that if the seller voluntarily refunded before the 3 day response time was up, they could appeal within 30 days if the item was delivered. 

Post 1

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/eBay-s-new-shipping-policy-with-changes-regarding-INR-s/m-p/3...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

thanks for the link pjcdn2005, that's very helpful to know.  So i guess in the case of me appealing within the 30 days, if i win, Ebay would retun the money to me out of their own pocket, and not ask the buyer to return the money?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, assuming that eBay did find in your favour, the refund would come directly from eBay, not the buyer

Message 8 of 8
latest reply