Negative feedback and withheld funds because buye made a mistake and didn't read my ad before buying

Hello

Is there any way to remove feedback left by a buyer who got what he paid for and threw a tantrum over it?

I sold an empty box for an Xbox controller. I dunno why people buy these but looking at the completed listings,l they do. It was clearly stated BOX ONLY in the title, description, and every picture just showed the in and out of the box.

The buyer expected a controller produced for him or a refund right away, not to mention thinly veiled threats and calling me a "scammer". I stuck to my guns but after reading his paragraphs worth of replies I think he has a mental impairment of some kind and logic/facts won't change anything.

Is there anything that can be done about this? He told me to send him his money or I'll get my feedback ruined. I did nothing wrong, he failed to read the ad and now it's my fault?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Negative feedback and withheld funds because buye made a mistake and didn't read my ad before buying

Hello,

This is a frusterating situation for sure.  At the end of the day the buyer didn't read the description properly.  They thought they were getting a controller and got just the box.   The simple solution for this is for the buyer to open up a return.  You will have to send them a return label but I suspect this buyer will not go through the motions of sending the box back.  Just a gut feeling based on what you've mentioned about the buyer.

Can anyone confirm if you send a return label and its not used can you get refunded for the label at some point in time?  

Feedback extortion is also a no no with ebay I believe.  If you have it documented that the seller is threatening you with negative feedback then you should be able to get any negative feedback removed as long as you are trying / have tried to assist.

Advise the customer to open up a return via ebay message and leave it at that.  If they open up the return then send them the return label.    If they don't open up the return and just leave negative feedback then you may be able to get that removed if it has been documented that the buyer is trying to threaten with negative feedback.

Hope everything works out.

All the best

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks!

He made no mention of returning the item at all. Just that he wanted a controller or his money. Judging from his replies and wording, no combination of words are getting through. 

He's opened a return later seemingly just to stall the payout. There should be a report option there for situations like these. Why should a buyer pay for a return label because he's been extorted and the buyer didn't read a word? I had 20 years of perfect feedback and gone because of one immature schmuck?

Thanks for the help

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

You should contact eBay and request that the feedback be removed as you clearly stated it was for a box and it was listed in a category for Original Game Cases & Boxes, not a category for controllers.  Sometimes people list an empty box in the controller section which can lead to confusion.

Contact through the business folks on Facebook seems to be the best route these days.

But as you replied to the feedback, I think that getting it removed will be pretty tough.  If you think a neg is improper, it is best to contact eBay to request removal instead of replying.  If eBay will not remove it, then reply.

Regarding a return, this is the buyer's error and if they want a return it should be on their dime.  I would also discuss that situation with eBay and that it is not a case of the item not being as advertised.  The buyer has indicated they received the empty box, it is just they thought they were getting a controller for cheap.    I would not, in any circumstance, indicate that there was any fault on your side.  

To make it go away, you may decide to send a label and require the return of the box.  The time to sort it out may not be worth the hassle to fight it down.   With the feedback they left, I would not let him keep it. 

And you can get refunds for unused labels.

--

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you!

His logic is that I "stated it in a deceptive way". I don't know how much more clear I could've been. I've used the report a buyer thing and stated everything I did here. I'll get in touch with ebay business on Facebook. Take care!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

There is always the "Contact Seller" button, and it was listed in a boxes and cases section. 

For listing like this I include a separate sentence along the lines of:  NOTE:  The listing is for the box ONLY a controller is NOT included.   You really can't make it simple enough 🙂 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

"Is there anything that can be done about this? He told me to send him his money or I'll get my feedback ruined."

A - This is called FEEDBACK EXTORTION and is against eBay policy, you will be able to get the feedback removed. Contact eBay using Social Media, other posters will give you those details shortly.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/feedback-policies/policies/feedback-policies?id=4208&st=3&pos=1&query=Feedb...

Feedback extortion

Buyers aren't allowed to use threats of negative feedback or low detailed seller ratings to get something that wasn't part of the original listings, and sellers can't demand positive feedback from buyers.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230

Our feedback system plays a key role in keeping eBay a safe and trusted marketplace, and we're committed to making sure that it isn't misused.

What is the policy?

Buyers aren't allowed to:

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns

B - Feedback is not and has no bearing on your account and is NOT used by eBay to evaluate you.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Simple... Phone eBay.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

The buyer expected a controller produced for him or a refund right away,

Did he open a Dispute for Not As Described?

Scammers won't, because they don't want to be on eBay's radar. But this guy doesn't sound like he is scamming just illiterate and entitled.

Tell him to open a Dispute so you can send him a shipping label and that when the box is back in your hands you will refund.

Yes you are right and he is wrong. Do it anyway.

If he doesn't open the Dispute, or doesn't return the box, you win the Dispute and he, among other things, cannot leave feedback.  Oh, and you are refunded for the label.

He told me to send him his money or I'll get my feedback ruined.

This is Feedback Extortion.

Report it to eBay and it will be removed.

@mcrlmn 

The phone reps do not work for eBay so don't bother with them. They work for a subcontractor out of Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

"Phoning" eBay is pointless and a waste of time, use the social media feeds, manned by real eBay employees...

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Contact eBay.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Adding to other comments on another topic. I think you should not answer to feedbacks the way you did. That's not good for your image to be this passive agressive. No need to point out the individual, just state facts. 'You did that' 'you did this' 'awful buyer' it's all useless information for people to read, and with caps. Reading your answer we can guess you truly escalated with him in private and your answer instead to bring safety to next buyers reading, puts a doubt about the buyer being right in his feedback in the part when he talk about your attitude. We can feel the frustration in your message, you should stay neutral if you answer publicly

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

No nothing was escalated in private. I was being gentle with him, if you saw his babble nonsense you'd get why. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I have had success with the phone folks, thought that I had everything including messaging buttoned down tight at my end.    I would still go facebook first though.  Just finding a number to call anymore is a research exercise. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I have also used phones. but you need to be very eBay savvy and have all your messages open and ready to "Quote" and make the reps read them, but as the years have rolled by those "reps" are less and less trained...

...Social Media is more reliable as you have written transcripts.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Just to update-i spoke to a fella on eBay business support on Facebook. He read my ad and the messages back and forth and removed the negative feedback instantly. He straight up said "i can see the listing was for a box not a controller".

Cheers to that hero. Thanks everyone. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply