New Seller - Issue with BRAND new buyer accounts

Im really new to eBay and getting used to how things go here.  I had an issue last month with a "buyer" wanting to purchase an item and never following through with the purchase.  I reported the buyer to eBay and had a problem relisting the item due to the allotment that I get of $1000 as a new seller.  

This is frustrating as it was not my fault that someone tried to buy an item and it still counted towards my monthly amounts.  But this isnt my main concern.  I can wait the few weeks until everything resets.

Issue is now, I have a rather expensive item ($700 - and yes I realize that as a new seller I should go with smaller easier to move items until I get off the ground) and I had someone send in a offer that just created their account a day ago.  I want to accept the offer, but I don't want to fall into the same situation again.  Is there a way to vet these buyers before i accept?  I did send them a message, asking if they are legitimate, and I did seem to get a response that didnt seem "canned" or "bot-like" but it still seems fishy.

What do more experienced sellers do in these situations? Or is this just new seller blues, and something that I just have to work through until I can expand my store.

THANKS for any and all feedback.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: New Seller - Issue with BRAND new buyer accounts

byto253
Community Member
Instead of accepting the offer you can set a Buy It Now price equal to the offer amount with immediate payment enabled.

Message them that this has been done and they can buy it from the listing. Only do payment and communication through official eBay systems and channels. Any request to text or message outside of eBay is a massive scam flag as doing so will result in you losing seller protection.

Also as a new seller you do not want to even hint about going outside of eBay channels as you could be suspended.

I don't have offers enabled in my listings but still get unsolicited ones and I either handle them as outlined, or if it is for multiple items I set up an exclusive listing for the buyer with BIN and immediate payment.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: New Seller - Issue with BRAND new buyer accounts

We might run into a problem with jargon here.

To my understanding:

An Auction can have a Buy It Now option or a Best Offer option.

A Fixed Price listing can have a Best Offer option. The Fixed Price listing is Buy It Now. FP listings can also include Immediate Payment Required, in which case the listing remains active until someone pays.

It seems common to use BIN and Fixed Price interchangeably, but they are different and I am a pedant.

@random.retail   -  If you are sure of the price you want to get for your item, using Fixed Price / Immediate Payment Required.

I think from what you write you also understand that your restrictions are either/or.

That is you can list 1 0x $100, or 1x $1000, or 100x $10  to make up that $1000 but you cannot go over the $1000 in starting prices.
With Fixed Price, you will not get more than the starting price. With Auction you could, theoretically, sell for $2000.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply