New seller just resigned, not doing Managed payments

Started selling three months ago, collectable personal items. Today was last day, ebay was forceing me to switch to managed payments. Instead i deleted all items for sale and quit selling. 

goodbye ebay. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Good for you for standing up for what you believe in!  I have been on eBay for 15+ years  but will no doubt be following in your footsteps very soon. It would be different if we were given another choice. However we weren't so it is what it is. I wish you all the best.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@forgottenrebel wrote:

Started selling three months ago, collectable personal items. Today was last day, ebay was forceing me to switch to managed payments. Instead i deleted all items for sale and quit selling. 

goodbye ebay. 

Would be interesting to know if you made your decision based on what works for you or just the posts about Managed Payments on the discussion boards.

Eighteen years ago, my wife and I had to decide whether to accept PayPal after being happy with eBay's payment processor of Billpoint.  There was a lot of vitriol spilled on the eBay discussion boards about PayPal.  We proceeded anyway and things worked out fine.  If we were still actively selling today, we probably would have fought our inclinations to procrastinate and got our ducks in a row pretty quickly after hearing about the switch to Managed Payments so that we could make the transition as smooth as possible.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

We have been selling 15 years, we followed ebays request to flip over. Our listings ended April 20 so 5 days later (now the 25) we still haven't received our payments. Oh the buyers paid that very day on the 20th but not ebay, no they say that they are making sure the funds are ok and safewhather they came from Visa of PP or what??

We cancelled all schueled listings and all listings that even had a bid on (got charged for it also) We have post the items that sold and were paid for (not fair to the buyer) even though no payment. We are not going to do money management so we also are saying by ebay!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Reasons I quit selling on ebay,

Ebay now requires my Private Banking info ( data breach imminent , privacy, risky, extra cost) 

Ebay holding back payments when paypal are already instant for me. 

SSN or SIN requirment is beyong ridiculous

I am comfortable the way it was. 

Plus ever since ebay shipping became the scam it has become ( twice the price for twice the ship time) ebay has become a perfect example of a company now doing eveything wrong in my opinion. 

After all Its just less money for them.  I was only selling personal items like vintage collectables and all this new hassle, risk and cost is just not worth it. Its far easier for small sellers like me to simply walk away.  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I'm avoiding MP as long as possible over not being able to add an American bank account.

However.

Correcting a few misunderstandings.

Ebay now requires my Private Banking info

Paypal required that information when you signed up to use them.

If that was more than six years ago, PP at that time belonged to eBay.

Many sellers are setting up dedicated online low-fee bank accounts for all their online selling.

SSN or SIN requirment is beyong ridiculous

It's not ridiculous, it's actually illegal to demand a Canadian's Social Insurance Number except in very limited situations.

The MP form is very badly written and has not been corrected, but MP does not (and cannot) require our SIN, although we can voluntarily give it.

ebay shipping became the scam it has become ( twice the price for twice the ship time)

I'm going to guess this refers to the Global Shipping Program, which is a Seller Protection option for US and UK sellers who are paranoid about shipping internationally.

The "double price" is because the buyer pays the GSP to cover Canadian duty and sales taxes.  Until last July, Canada charged duty and sales tax on imports valued over $20 (~$15USD) . Since then, NAFTA items are duty-free if they are under $150Cdn(~$112USD) and tax-free under $40Cdn.

The new higher duty free allowances have effectively ended complaints about the cost, although not about delivery time.  It is questionable whether delivery is more affected by COVID delays or by GSP delays.

For sellers there are a few small (5-7% ) discounts from Canada Post prices available to those using SnapShip, Paypal shipping, Shippo, and the new eBay Labels.  Personally I use  postage stamps, because ... duh!  reallynicestamps?  Mint postage stamps can be purchased on eBay at substantial discounts.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I've been with ebay and consistently been selling sinch 1999.  I haven't been a fan of most changes that eBay has made WRT sellers over the years, but this is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

As soon as I'm required to switch, I'll be terminating all of my listings.  Over the past number of years, I've been working on shifting my business away from ebay anyways as I haven't been happy for quite some time, but this new move will be pushing me to terminate our relationship.

So-long ebay.  Oh, and you can kiss the revenue you get from me good-bye too!  Hopefully enough people will come to the same conclusion and this will impact their bottom line!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I am not sure if my exerience wit MP will make you change your mind but I have been on it for about 3 months now and I'm ok with it. Do not enter your SIN number when you registered if they still ask for it...just enter 9 zero and it will bring you to the next page on registration. To attach a bank account to their system is normal procedure...it is require to deposit your profit or withdrawl their fees. I do recommand to have ebay depositing your profit in your account on a weekly basis instead of daily...the processing time takes 24 to 48 hours...longer over the week-end. Like any change on ebay there is an adjustement period...PS. I'm far from being an ebay cheerleaders no matter the change they make on their platform. Manage payment is OK and give it a try before quiting ...ebay label is terrible so keep using  Shippo instead.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I understand there is always an adjustment period when new policies are implemented but eBay MP has been on the ebay.com site for almost a year.  They should have the kinks worked out by now you would think?  Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones when it comes to MP.  I have heard some scary stories from a few others who have already had issues regarding orders cancelled by buyers.  Some of the cancelled orders were after the buyer paid and before the seller shipped but some were after because eBay wants the seller to ship as soon as the payment is in eBay's account. Canada Post is not going to refund for an already shipped item so am pretty sure the seller is going to be out the shipping cost if the buyer is refunded. Which eBay wants them to do if the buyer requests to cancel.  So iwho s going to responsible for the shipping cost then? This is going to be costly if the purchase was shipped by a tracked method to an international buyer.  Anyone have any info on what happens in that situation?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

In all honesty, it's not as simple as you commented.  The bottom line is by switching to MP, you're relinquishing control of your money and business to ebay's whim.   Why?  Well, we know why...

I'm fully capable of managing my sales, shipping and ebay invoices without mandated expensive assistance by ebay.  I've been tolerant of their changes over the years as a seller, but these changes are going too far.  I know the loss of my fees won't mean anything to them, but from what I'm reading, those leaving this sinking ship is amounting to more than just a handful.

eBay crossed a line there's no coming back from IMHO.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for mentioning the request for our SIN. You are totally right.  I had forgotten about that BIG one in my other complaints.  I can't believe they are actually asking us to provide it.  I certainly hope that anyone who has already signed up didn't voluntarily give theirs to them. Sadly once they have it there is no way to take it back.  

Yes we did give PayPal our banking information but in all the years I have been with PayPal I can only remember PayPal debiting my bank account once or at the most twice. If I am remembering correctly that was when eBay still owned a large share of PayPal and I think it was to pay my eBay seller fees. And I believe they can only debit your bank account if it set up that way in your payment setting as your default payment method. I have my PayPal balance set as my default payment method and my credit card as my back up method. So unless both these are dried up PayPal doesn't go near my bank account except to tansfer my funds at my request or if I change my default payment method. So I am in control of how my money and payments are handled not PayPal. With MP eBay will be in control because your bank account HAS TO BE  the default method.

For those who aren't aware the original owner of eBay still owns a very small share of PayPal and this same owner, the last I heard still owns a very small share of eBay as well. I believe it is 5% and 6% respectively.  Since these shares are so small they don't have much influnence on how the companies are run.  It is interesting to know this though because I thought ebay no longer owned any shares in PayPal.  This info readily available online.  

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Read the terms and conditions carefully.

I was OK providing bank institution number, transit and account number.

Providing SIN is actually optional.

I was NOT ok with providing on line banking password, but support showed me how to set it up without providing that.

Fortunately I *ALWAYS* read terms and conditions, because get this:

THEY REQUIRE YOU TO GIVE THEM POWER OF ATTORNEY OVER YOUR BANK!

I stopped reading right then.

This morning I cancelled my store subscription on the phone, because the links to do so on-line are no longer there.

Some googling brought up articles that say the t&c also allows them to scrape your banking financial information and sell it ... however I have not verified it.

For now, I will buy from eBay, but not sell on it.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

yeah the #  of people who read the fine print is ridiculously tiny. The things you need to agree to for MP is there to benefit EBAY... not the individual sellers.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Just curious about this.  In the past few days I have been viewing the live listings of members who have been complaining about Managed Payments on the boards.  I am doing this for my own interest not eBay's. In your post your said you ended all your listings and were saying goodbye to eBay. However you have 12 live listings now and they show as listed with Managed Payments. Did something positive happen to change your mind?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Not sure who you're referring to in your reply... quoting the original message would help.

@blackranda2 wrote:

Just curious about this.  In the past few days I have been viewing the live listings of members who have been complaining about Managed Payments on the boards.  I am doing this for my own interest not eBay's. In your post your said you ended all your listings and were saying goodbye to eBay. However you have 12 live listings now and they show as listed with Managed Payments. Did something positive happen to change your mind?

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Good for you! After 22 years as a seller i quit as well and cancelled all my items off Ebay 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@deeeight 

Sorry, my reply says in response to bearsbeehoney1 

I was refering to this post.

We have been selling 15 years, we followed ebays request to flip over. Our listings ended April 20 so 5 days later (now the 25) we still haven't received our payments. Oh the buyers paid that very day on the 20th but not ebay, no they say that they are making sure the funds are ok and safewhather they came from Visa of PP or what??

We cancelled all schueled listings and all listings that even had a bid on (got charged for it also) We have post the items that sold and were paid for (not fair to the buyer) even though no payment. We are not going to do money management so we also are saying by ebay!

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I did the same yesterday as EBay will not transfer my money into my account.  Bunch of theft and liars.  

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@deeeight wrote:

Not sure who you're referring to in your reply... quoting the original message would help.

@blackranda2 wrote:

I would imagine that they were referring to the poster that is mentioned to the right of the arrow where it says 'in response to....'  (under their number of feedback)   Also, if you click on that 'repsonse to link' it will take you to the post they were referring to.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Good for you! After 22 years as a seller i quit as well and cancelled all my items off Ebay 

I see you have newly listed items under the Managed Payments banner. I thought you were leaving?

Message 20 of 20
latest reply