New with box?

I must have missed the memo.... Condition new or used on the dot com site has been changed to 'new with box ' and 'new without box' .

All my canadian listed items have defaulted to 'new with box ' on the dot com site and I've been unable to edit them due to canadian site still shows 'new' or 'used' as the only options.. ..every listing is now live and displaying incorrect information, open to NAD claims. Any fix to this?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

New with box?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @valuestore - sorry to be late to this, I've been out for a bit, but am returned!

To clarify, this is the continuation of a change for eBay.com that was announced last year (link here). We replaced the 'new other' category with 'Open Box'). This aligns better with retail standards industry wide. 

To @ypdc_dennis' point, we do define what 'New with Box' means for folks looking for the definition. That is also the definition we would uphold and explain to buyers who purchase from you should they have a problem with it and contact us.

I also want to clarify that this is not a glitch, and it is not something that is directly tied to your listing format (Good Til Cancelled vs Auctions). This is a change to the condition descriptor that would exist for any listing you made within that category. It will display as new or used on .ca, but it's not something that you can alter or display differently for folks on .com. 

If you do encounter a NAD request due to this specific change would you mind sending me a private message with more details? Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

New with box?

It’s difficult  to figure out a fix since we can’t see your items or the problem.  What category is this in?  Is it in perfumes? There was a thread about that on the .com boards.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

Here is the thread I was referring to. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-eliminates-ability-to-sell-Used-Fragrances-Why-More-self/...

If you are not referring to that category, it could be just a temporary Thursday night maintenance glitch.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

Not a fragrance, not a glitch.   

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

If you view this item (202556014098) on the ca site then the usa site you will see the issue(new and new with box). Note there is no box and the seller wont be able to change that to 'without box' because it was posted from the .ca site.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

@valuestore 

This is what happens when a "feature" like GTC is implemented taking away the control of a seller's listings from the seller when they never asked for GTC in the first place. In my past experience in using relist or sell similar, I've come across options that have been added to a previously created listings that weren't there when the listing was created originally.  (Things you will not catch unless you preview your listings constantly.) Sometimes these options are applicable. Quite often they are NOT. There are plenty of examples of this with the changes that have been made to books category making some listings into a garbled mess, with many (confirmed) options that were previously applicable have disappeared and other added options that are not even close to a match suddenly are there. As the original poster to this discussion stated, the seller should NOT be on the hook for these automagically implemented changes. Maybe, some sort of warning to sellers needs to be considered before these changes happen or communication between dot com and dot ca??? 

-Lotz

And now, time for something completely different.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJmxD0ulUM

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

@valuestore wrote:

If you view this item (202556014098) on the ca site then the usa site you will see the issue(new and new with box). Note there is no box and the seller wont be able to change that to 'without box' because it was posted from the .ca site.  

For that item .CA shows "New" and .COM shows "New with box"

The definition displayed says "A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached."   So it is not required to be in a box if it never had one.

If you click on See all condition descriptions on .COM for the item it only shows "New" or "Used" as allowed conditions for that category.  Looks like a yet another eBay tech glitch.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

Generally buyers just look at the top where it in big bold text says 'New with Box', price and the picture.. Scrolling down (but only on dot com site) to press 'see more' under condition,  not confusing at all...and is that even visible on the mobile - I haven't looked.  Anyways  maybe it will be updated soon, looks like its a new category update.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

I agree that there should be an explanation and a warning before changes like this happen but I don't see it as a gtc issue as the example the op gave wasn't a listing that just got renewed. It looks as if they made the change in the middle of the listing time.

btw there is no need to use the @ sign with my sign if you reply. 🙂

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

Because the balance of this particular seller's listings are all BIN, this issue is directly tied to GTC. Now a seller will only catch a discrepancy when a listing ends and/or if it is sold and then has a report from a buyer complaining the item does not match the listing verbatim. The seller should be the one in control of any update requirements, not eBay adding mid-listing.  It takes very little effort for a buyer to decide something received is NAD and follow it up with a return request followed by the time these take to resolve. Following the dot com announcement board, there are far more posts reported there than we ever see on dot ca, to keep us in the loop. What other updates are dot ca sellers missing that potentially could affect their listings that they are not aware of?

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

New with box?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @valuestore - sorry to be late to this, I've been out for a bit, but am returned!

To clarify, this is the continuation of a change for eBay.com that was announced last year (link here). We replaced the 'new other' category with 'Open Box'). This aligns better with retail standards industry wide. 

To @ypdc_dennis' point, we do define what 'New with Box' means for folks looking for the definition. That is also the definition we would uphold and explain to buyers who purchase from you should they have a problem with it and contact us.

I also want to clarify that this is not a glitch, and it is not something that is directly tied to your listing format (Good Til Cancelled vs Auctions). This is a change to the condition descriptor that would exist for any listing you made within that category. It will display as new or used on .ca, but it's not something that you can alter or display differently for folks on .com. 

If you do encounter a NAD request due to this specific change would you mind sending me a private message with more details? Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply