No label purchase option for return

Just accepted my first return i'm not used to it and i can't see any option to buy a shipping label on ebay

The only options i have in return details is to upload my own label, confirm i already sent a label, or that i can't send a label

I find this info:

1. Go to Purchase history - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Find the item in Returns and cancelled orders.
  3. Select View return details.
  4. Choose Print label.

But there is no print label option anywhere there. Is this normal? Where do i buy a label? Item was shipped lettermail at first

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

ebay Canada doesn't have the option for return labels. If the buyer is in Canada you would have to buy one at Shippo, paypal.com/shipnow or Canada Post and then send it to the buyer.  Or you could just send them the money through Paypal to buy a label.

If the buyer is in the US you can purchase a USPS label on Shippo or on Pirateship.com.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the info. This is actually awful that we can buy labels to ship but not to ship back, i don't get it

I tried to buy on CP online and we need a credit card for it, i personally need to pay with paypal so i can't. Anyway when i tried to create a label with the buyer name as sender, it's like i'm adding a new owner to my account (i have a personal account only actually, not sure if it change something). Seems really messed up

Can i go to a CP office to buy a physical label, picture it with my phone and share it to buyer? Or can we buy at the office and get it online at home after 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

You can sign up for Shippo at goshippo.com. In the top right corner, there will be a 'create label' option. You can create the label that way. If the label only downloads as a PDF, you can use the Snipping tool on Windows to screenshot the label as a jpg. 

Yes, you can purchase a physical label and scan it or photograph it. Keep in mind, if you photograph it, it would have to be pretty clear. 

Personally, I would use Shippo. The reason is, you can get a refund (in the form of account credit) if the buyer doesn't go through with the return. Sometimes buyers will open returns and not follow through. After a set amount of time without the item being sent (I don't remember, you can contact eBay and ask them to step in and close the return. but it's probably available on eBay's help pages) 

Canada Post Snap Ship is better in that regard, because you will get a refund to your credit card, and not just store credit.

A label is going to cost you $10-$20. If you think the return is genuine, and if the item is worth less than that, you can consider simply issuing a refund without requiring the buyer to return the item. Shrinkage or lost/damaged items is an unfortunate cost of doing business via the mail. For low priced items, it is sometimes cheaper economically (return label cost, stress, time) to refund, close, and then if applicable block and report the buyer.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I just come back from CP office and they told me i can't buy a psysical label for a return and scan it to provide to another person, what the heck!? That i would need to buy pre paid stuff and ship it to the person... That i cannot buy a label without having a package to ship and shipped from where the label is bought

Deadline is tomorrow or buyer will just claim a full refund. I did not expected this to be over complicated like that

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

As a complete last resort, you can buy a pre-paid credit card at any convenient store or grocery store. It's a gift card that has a working Visa or Mastercard number attached to it. They usually have a fee of a few dollars. Some of them can be refilled. I used to use them to buy concert tickets way before I had a credit card. This might work on the Canada Post website, but I cannot guarantee it as I have never tried it. 

I don't think you need a credit card to sign up for Shippo, but I haven't used it in a long time. You should be able to print a label there. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

You can't buy a return label at the post office. They can only sell postage FROM their physical location to another destination; they can't sell you postage from somewhere else in Canada back to you.

As others have stated you need to purchase the label online, either through Canada Post or Shippo with them as the sender and you as the recipient, then just send them a PDF of the label (or a screenshot image of the label if you don't have a PDF). Yes, you will need a credit card to do this on the Canada Post site. You can pay with PayPal on Shippo. Or I believe you can purchase a label directly through paypal.com/shipnow and pay directly with your PayPal balance.

You can also set up e-commerce returns directly with Canada Post using your Solutions for Small Business account. I haven't done this so I'm not sure what is involved or whether you need a credit card on file so they can process it. But when you do this you'll be able to just send your customers a return authorization number that they can give to any post office to just automatically have a return label processed and billed to you.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the infos

I took the easiest solution that no one thought about and did not knew i could take. After contacting ebay support. I stated/choosed on the item not as described case that i cannot provide a label. Contacted buyer to tell him he's responsible of the shipping label and cost, and that i will fully refund it under proof with paypal when the item is received. Case is awaiting buyer shipment so it looks like i'm safe

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I took the easiest solution that no one thought about and did not knew i could take. After contacting ebay support. I stated/choosed on the item not as described case that i cannot provide a label. Contacted buyer to tell him he's responsible of the shipping label and cost, and that i will fully refund it under proof with paypal when the item is received. Case is awaiting buyer shipment so it looks like i'm safe

Anyone able to confirm if this is in rules? Buyer ignored this and just messaged me to provide a label. Ebay chat yesteday said it was legit and the fact we have the option to select 'can't provide a label' and that selecting it turn the case to 'awaiting buyer shipment' kinda says it's legit. But when i look on ebay pages, it says the person responsible of shipping cost have to provide a label. With the buyer asking for a label now i'm kinda lost

So, in an item not as described case return accepted, can we ask buyer to purchase the label and be in rules?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

If  you don't provide a label eBay can force you to refund the buyer without having to return your item.   If you don't want to send the money for a label through PP, Try asking the buyer to purchase a label and send you the receipt so that you can reimburse them right away.

The problem with the buyer buying a label and waiting until you get the item to be reimbursed is that eBay can not force you to refund them more than the original transaction. So if you refuse to reimburse them for the label, they are out that money. I wouldn't agree to it as a buyer unless I knew the seller well.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

If you don't provide a label eBay can force you to refund the buyer without having to return your item

That's what i thought but why do we have the option to select 'confirm you can't send a label' then and that selecting it turns the case status to 'awaiting buyer shipment'. Why ebay does not offer to purchase a label for return if it's a must. Why ebay chat told me too:

could i select the option that: confirm you can't send a label?

Yes, you can select it so that the buyer will be notified by eBay. No worries, as long as we can see that you are helping them out and they are unresponsive you won't lose the case.

This is very messy

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

So i'm still trying to figuring out how to get a return shipping label

Ebay: no option

Canada post: need credit card

Shippo: need credit card

Paypal: need business account?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I don't have a bussiness account on PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

click "PayPal Shipping", if you have a solutions Canada Post card It might prompt you to add it, if not a popup window will happen where it asks for the address where the package is shipping to. IN THIS CASE you would put YOUR address in.

Only issue with PayPal is it will generate your address as the ship from address as its linked to your account address. (you can add the buyers address to your account using the settings wheel in the top right corner of the page near the logout button) Then select addresses "add new" and put their address in (you can delete it after and I recommend it ASAP)

Then after you fill out your address in the pop up window, it will bring up the page where you enter the package details and select the service you want to use. (also EDIT on the left hand side the "ship from" address to reflect the buyers address, select theirs from the drop down menu)

Once you fill in the details click pay now and then SAVE the PDF label thats on the next page, you would then send that to the buyer to use!

Hopefully this helps and works for you

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Can't send a label means that you can't produce one through eBay or that you don't have access to that country's postal system.  Even then it is still up to you to pay for the shipping label before the item is shipped unless you and the buyer come to a different agreement.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Sounded like the solution but actually seems like we must have a business account with canada post to create a label on paypal. They ask me for CP business client number or to create a new account. What implies creating a business account on CP? I'll check it at this point i need a solution for future returns anyway. But i mean i don't want a contract i just want one label. I already created a shippo account for nothing, they do not accept paypal payments

Paypal and canada post are affiliated. Does not make any sense that we can purchase a canada post label on paypal, but cannot purchase a label on canada post with paypal

This is so complicated for something so simple and that should be accessible

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Don't get hung up on the term business. Technically, anybody can open a Canada Post Small Business account. You register just like you would on any regular website. 

If you don't have a credit card, you're going to run into these issues from time to time. Unless there is some sort of road block to getting one, it's always a good idea to have one when conducting business. There are lots of no fee or low fee cards. Lots of services aimed at businesses won't take Paypal. Additionally, some credit cards offer great cash back rewards, so as you scale up your business and increase your expenses, you can get back quite a bit. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Shippo: need credit card

I use PayPal with Shippo for payment. Although that might be because I signed up years ago before ebay.ca switched to Managed Payments and away from Paypal.

https://support.goshippo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003284703-Using-Shippo-for-eBay-Canada-Shipping

You could send them a unpaid label with your address on it.

-;-

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I also get billed through PayPal by Shippo. Granted I also have a credit card on file with them, but I can't recall if that was a stipulation to signing up. Regardless, as ilikehockeyjerseys stated, you really should look into getting a credit card as it will make your life easier.

And as for signing up for a Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account there is zero requirement to have an actual business. Just enter your name as the business name. They aren't running any checks to make sure you're an actual business or registered with the government or anything; you're basically just signing up for a Canada Post account.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

This is strange you guys can use paypal with it. Just double checked and personally they ask for a credit card

Stated: please add a credit card to use shippo. Payment methods: mastercard, visa, discover, american express. No paypal option

I'll check to create a CP small business account actually if nothing is involved

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Hi,

I'm very interested in an update, please. Did you manage to get your item back? How did it work?

The one time I had to deal with similar situation, I had to use an advice from here and forgo the return of my item... Shipping is the messiest and the scariest part of doing ebay.

Questions for those who use Shippo:

Is Shippo = Canada Post or do they offer other carriers?

Do they have discounted rates?

Are their rates the same as ebay lables for the same item? Higher? Lower?

Thanks in advance!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply