Non Paying Buyers

I realize you can let non paying buyer situations run their course but in the case if a seller wants to try to close early(the option is there to cancel) because there has been zippo contact from the buyer which option is the best bet to use?

1. Problem with address.

2. Broken or missing. 

3. Buyer asked to cancel

None of the above would be accurate.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Non Paying Buyers

eBay's new system is that the buyer is entitled to 4 days to pay if you choose not to require immediate payment. 

This is pretty reasonable. While I think it is always good for a buyer to shoot a seller a polite message if they are going to take a few days to pay, it isn't a requirement. As a seller, I don't even look at awaiting payment more than once a week. 

If you have a legitimate reason for wanting to cancel, you can contact eBay's customer chat support and explain it. If they agree, they will usually advise you to cancel using the 'problem with address'. Because you contacted eBay's support, and they gave you the go ahead, you'll be good in the event the buyer doesn't agree with the cancellation. A legitimate reason might be that you look at the buyer's profile and see it is littered with feedback saying they are a scammer. This is pretty rare, but just an example where eBay's customer service might let you cancel with the wrong reason.

It sucks when someone takes a listing away from other potential buyers for 4 days, but it's rare enough that it's not a huge deal. I find that if a buyer doesn't pay the same day, and also doesn't reach out to you to say something like 'hey I will pay on Friday, thanks', there is a 75 percent (or probably higher) chance they are never going to pay. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Non Paying Buyers

You're supposed to wait 4 full business days because that's how long they have before they have to pay.  After that another option pops up that buyer hasn't paid.  I wouldn't advise cancelling any orders earlier than that.

Cheers,

Joel 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Non Paying Buyers

Defects are a LOT more expensive to your account than a four day wait for a  UID cancellation.

With an early cancellation, the deadbeat can still leaves feedback for up to 60 days.

With a UID Cancellation, the deadbeat cannot leave feedback.

With the UID Cancellation, the deadbeat gets a Strike. We can set our Seller Preferences/Buyer Requirements to Block any bidder with Strikes.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Non Paying Buyers

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Defects are a LOT more expensive to your account than a four day wait for a  UID cancellation.

With an early cancellation, the deadbeat can still leaves feedback for up to 60 days.

With a UID Cancellation, the deadbeat cannot leave feedback.

With the UID Cancellation, the deadbeat gets a Strike. We can set our Seller Preferences/Buyer Requirements to Block any bidder with Strikes.

Wasn't going to close early. It was more about the poor selection of options from seller and buyers perspective.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Non Paying Buyers

Thats the reason "buyer hasn't paid" isn't there as a valid option yet, one's supposed to wait the 4 days.

4 Days certainly isn't unreasonable and a seller* should wait until the valid option becomes available.

*this doesn't have anything to do with the buyer's perspective they aren't desiring to cancel sooner otherwise "buyer asked to cancel" would apply if they requested the cancellation, but one has to make sure there's a note from the buyer before picking that option otherwise I think one gets a ding....

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Non Paying Buyers

@ricarmic wrote:

Thats the reason "buyer hasn't paid" isn't there as a valid option yet, one's supposed to wait the 4 days.

4 Days certainly isn't unreasonable and a seller* should wait until the valid option becomes available.

*this doesn't have anything to do with the buyer's perspective they aren't desiring to cancel sooner otherwise "buyer asked to cancel" would apply if they requested the cancellation, but one has to make sure there's a note from the buyer before picking that option otherwise I think one gets a ding....

With INR's, NAD's etc eBay has removed options so in many cases seller or buyer guesses, uses the dreaded "close enough" or just lies. There is also no physical way within eBay to update an open claim and no eBay procedure to recharge a buyer when the item arrives the next day and you've been forced to refund. Majority of customers are honest. Some are not. Same goes for updating the tracking number. Either it was put in originally or there wasn't one to begin with. (Updating makes it appear it was shipped/processed late. From eBay CS this is known defect in the system but not on radar to be corrected.)

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Non Paying Buyers

eBay's new system is that the buyer is entitled to 4 days to pay if you choose not to require immediate payment. 

This is pretty reasonable. While I think it is always good for a buyer to shoot a seller a polite message if they are going to take a few days to pay, it isn't a requirement. As a seller, I don't even look at awaiting payment more than once a week. 

If you have a legitimate reason for wanting to cancel, you can contact eBay's customer chat support and explain it. If they agree, they will usually advise you to cancel using the 'problem with address'. Because you contacted eBay's support, and they gave you the go ahead, you'll be good in the event the buyer doesn't agree with the cancellation. A legitimate reason might be that you look at the buyer's profile and see it is littered with feedback saying they are a scammer. This is pretty rare, but just an example where eBay's customer service might let you cancel with the wrong reason.

It sucks when someone takes a listing away from other potential buyers for 4 days, but it's rare enough that it's not a huge deal. I find that if a buyer doesn't pay the same day, and also doesn't reach out to you to say something like 'hey I will pay on Friday, thanks', there is a 75 percent (or probably higher) chance they are never going to pay. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply