Not allowed to cancel an order!?

I went to cancel an order and ebay request me to add a credit card because i do not have the funds available on the platform. Is this a new thing? How this make any sense while they literally have access to my bank account with managed payments? I cannot cancel my buyer's order now. What the heck 

Capture - Copy (3).PNG

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

So i contacted support.

We now must have the funds to refund a buyer. Or add a credit card. They have access to bank account, with pre authorisation, but they still force you to add a credit card. I don't have one. So i cannot refund my buyer until my next sales. This is total non-sense absolute trash. I have to tell my buyer i cannot refund him until my next sale like an idiot. While ebay has access to my bank account lmao. Worst is that you cannot keep funds on ebay or control amounts deposited. I will face this situation again anywhen. Ebay is getting worse and worse it never stops.

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

By the way. Now sellers who have money sent to bank account and no incoming sales to have ebay funds, will receive selling defects for having no credit card if they have to refund lol. As they won't be able to allow a refund. 

This is what support suggested me to do to deal with the issue: telling buyer to open a case and request to step in after 3 business days 

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

Maybe they got tired of debiting bank accounts and having it bounce for lack of funds (not you, just in general)

Just wondering, are you on Daily or Weekly payouts?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 61
latest reply

Sorry about the 4th post monologue.

Thoughts about it, could it be an actual restriction on my account? I have good ratings but a few things happened recently.

Would appreciate if anyone could share if they face the situation too. 

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

Do you have payment methods set for BOTH payouts AND selling costs? You can check under the payments tab towards the bottom of the page. You should be able to set both to your bank account.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

Generally cancellation situations occur fairly soon after receiving payment, bad luck the funds were used elsewhere.

I've never been short on funds to process a refund but Payments has routinely debited my bank account for labels and subscription fees. I've never provided them with a credit card or PayPal either, they have only my bank account.

So far they've never had a problem with it. In fact Payments has been quite patient lately, waiting up to a week for sales to cover the shortfall.

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

Generally cancellation situations occur fairly soon after receiving payment, bad luck the funds were used elsewhere.

I've never been short on funds to process a refund but Payments has routinely debited my bank account for labels and subscription fees. I've never provided them with a credit card or PayPal either, they have only my bank account.

So far they've never had a problem with it. In fact Payments has been quite patient lately, waiting up to a week for sales to cover the shortfall.

@kawartha-ephemera 

@rocketscollectibles 

Last time this happened to me (short funds for postage) got a message from ebay stating funds would be taken from bank in 3 days. There was no hint of Big Eddy stopping by to break my kneecaps but it may have have been implied. 💀

I've had this happen in the past where customer paid and then was about to package and customer cancelled. Funds were refund from bank vs the pending transaction. Then pending transaction was released to me 2/3 days later. It should be an easy peasy reversal.

-Lotz

You’ll see this charge after 3 days. It will look like this on your account statement:

eBay C 161189xxxxxxxx

If you have any funds available, or processing, from your sales, we'll use those first. Otherwise, your bank account will be charged.

If you’d like to use a different payment method, just update your payment preferences.

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

I had a refund EARLY on into manage payments (the first week when I had no money in my account) and had to fund the refund throigh Credit card. I do weekley payments and generally my sales from Sunday evening and Monday are not processed in time for Tuesday payout so I usually have money in my account. I have yet to be charged to my credit card or bank other then that one time. I would be fine having a buffer amount on the site for things like this though, as thats what I always did with PayPal

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

Last time this happened to me (short funds for postage) got a message from ebay stating funds would be taken from bank in 3 days

Same here. I had a refund like 2 weeks ago with no funds available at the time of the refund. They took a payment from bank account. By linking it with managed payments, we giving a payments pre authorisation. It's in terms and conditions  

Just wondering, are you on Daily or Weekly payouts?

Daily

Do you have payment methods set for BOTH payouts AND selling costs?

Both. When you register to managed payment the bank account is the payment method by default

I checked and it's supposed to still be the case. It's literally written my bank account is a selling cost payment method. I don't understand what is going on and why support told me earlier that being forced to add a credit card comes from a update. I truly wonder if i'm under a restriction right now. It's literally written 'bank account: option for selling cost' and my bank account is linked and fonctionnal, always been  

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

Ebay agents are so imcompetent sometimes... The update is most likely just about having to turn on prefered selling cost payment method now. Not being forced to add credit card. I turned it on and received a message telling me they now will take my bank account first as method payment (was already the case before...). I guess you just need to confirm it now. Idk. I'll see next time if it works back 

Capture.PNG

Message 11 of 61
latest reply

So basically, this entire post was a Non-Issue?

I have never had one issue with managed payments since I set it up, but I fully read the terms and conditions beforehand. so I knew what it was all about, I also used my SIN to register.

I do not have any Credit Card attached to my eBay account, and I have never had any issues.

Message 12 of 61
latest reply

@brettjet38
Sellers with only their bank account as a source of backup funds should absolutely review their Payments preferences.

I followed rockets advice and found there is a new preference that required my attention.

Definitely a real issue if you rely on your bank account as backup.
Message 13 of 61
latest reply

That Payments preferences tab has been there for ages, I clicked it to use only my Bank Account shortly after I signed up, so it is not new or really an issue.

I did not want eBay to have a credit card on file and deactivated that option after Managed Payments became active.

Generally, one should at least once a year self-verify all their Account Settings, especially on eBay...

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

That Payments preferences tab has been there for ages, I clicked it to use only my Bank Account shortly after I signed up, so it is not new or really an issue.

With managed payments linking a bank account was a pre authorisation to ebay to use this bank account as payment method by default for selling costs. It's literally in terms and conditions when you agree linking. You did not had to turn on or off anything. I sent refund more than once with negative funds. Something changed. As shown. Thank you for your understanding. Stop arguing for arguing... 

Message 15 of 61
latest reply

@brettjet38
Ebay does not care that back in the day we chose to use our bank accounts as our backup funding source. Payments wants us to indicate our choice once again.

Use that big blue Manage button in Payment options, fill the radio button to avoid future hiccups.
Message 16 of 61
latest reply

Back to the same point. I have an order to cancel on this actual account because it returned to me 1 month later. I cannot cancel neither refund my buyer... I turned on the selling cost to be on my bank account as shown in previous messages, still can't. Never had to turn on anything before or add a credit card. Bank account is linked. Would really like explanations from ebay about this new thing. It's totally braindead!

Bank account linked and confirmed for selling costs:

Capture.PNG

No button to cancel/send refund:

Capture2.PNG

Force you to add a credit card:

Capture3.PNG

Message 17 of 61
latest reply

I'll take my first selling defect ever because of this! I literally can't refund if buyer open a case. While my bank account is linked... So **bleep** frustrating. So it looks like we truly need to add a credit card now. So anyone without a credit card will take instant selling defects if funds were sent to bank account before case open and they have no incoming sales. While we literally cannot keep funds on ebay. It's total non-sense. 

Message 18 of 61
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Any explanations about this situation? 

Resume of the thread: I'm asked and forced to add a credit card to refund/cancel an order. My bank account is and was always linked as selling costs payment method. But i cannot refund anymore. It tells me that because i have no funds available, i must add a credit card. We now are forced to add one now? Everyone without one will take selling defects because they can't refund if they have no funds available? While bank account is literally linked? Is it new or a glitch i face? 

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I'll take my first selling defect ever because of this! I literally can't refund if buyer open a case. While my bank account is linked... So **bleep** frustrating. So it looks like we truly need to add a credit card now. So anyone without a credit card will take instant selling defects if funds were sent to bank account before case open and they have no incoming sales. While we literally cannot keep funds on ebay. It's total non-sense. 

@rocketscollectibles 

@kawartha-ephemera 

Were you able to go into manage and confirm  bank account is default for fees? And if necessary when you click on CC options you are able to add secondary bank method.

Option is at bottom under selling costs

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/summary

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1709225291409.png

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1709225355710.png

-Lotz

I run into the same monster with other websites due to the fact, due to various reasons, I don't own a cell phone. Almost everything mandates for any confirmation of something to work they send you a text message to complete the process. After awhile it becomes extremely annoying.

Message 20 of 61
latest reply